BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: My trip to S. Dakota to establish residence.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 11:13 AM

Yes, many things to consider. I looked at NV and WY but SD seems to welcome nomads to claim residency and the economics.

WA has no state income tax and many people who live there cross to Oregon to make larger purchases because OR doesn't have sales tax. A toofer.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 11:52 AM

Many more Californians are looking at their options. Toyota is moving out of CA for Texas and that will account for 4,000 more job loses just from the Torrance area. Just a drop in the bucket for what is coming. There will be many more following. Hang on, because the tax losses will have to be absorbed by those still left on the ship. CA is fighting a loosing battle trying hard to tax themselves into prosperity.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
To answer your tax question, SD is only one of two states that don't charge state income taxes, either from employment or Social Security, or 401K.
I am not sure about vehicle reg fees, however, but when I wanted to register the motorhome in California, the state wanted over $6,000 a year. The $430 a year for registration was a no-brainer.

Over $6000.00. Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration. We all pay 2% of value in our California registrations. Your listed sales price is about $183,000.00, or about $3600.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFBaHbf8li4

Cheese and Rice Udo, you can afford to have a hundred and eighty grand tied-up in a spare mansion on wheels and you're griping about paying the registration? Do you park it in the Dakotas and fly there when you want to use it? Isn't your California address your legal home of record? How is this "no brainer" legal? It seems fishy.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
So does Kalifornia hastle South Dakota (semi) residents who also own (and live in) property in Kalifornia?

I am not an expert so don't rely on my words.
It depends on weather that person is living in CA or not. That is; if that person does any of the "presumed residency" things. ie CA DL, vote in CA, work in CA, attend or have a dependent attend a CA public school (including college and paying resident fees), ...

I don't know about the particulars of this because I did not need to research it.

Property ownership of a primary or secondary home was what I was thinking about.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Many more Californians are looking at their options. Toyota is moving out of CA for Texas and that will account for 4,000 more job loses just from the Torrance area. Just a drop in the bucket for what is coming. There will be many more following.

would you rather live in TX or CA?
i would not relocate to TX to pinch a penny, would be giving up quality of life to save a penny.
don't focus on pinching pennies at the expense of quality of life. remember, you can't take it with you!
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2014 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
To answer your tax question, SD is only one of two states that don't charge state income taxes, either from employment or Social Security, or 401K.
I am not sure about vehicle reg fees, however, but when I wanted to register the motorhome in California, the state wanted over $6,000 a year. The $430 a year for registration was a no-brainer.

Over $6000.00. Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration. We all pay 2% of value in our California registrations. Your listed sales price is about $183,000.00, or about $3600.

Cheese and Rice Udo, you can afford to have a hundred and eighty grand tied-up in a spare mansion on wheels and you're griping about paying the registration? Do you park it in the Dakotas and fly there when you want to use it? Isn't your California address your legal home of record? How is this "no brainer" legal? It seems fishy.

Udo's listed price is for a used RV. That rig in the picture would list in the $400,000 area new. Why pay a ridiculously high registration if you don't have to? It is possible to legally own a residence in CA and not have it as your permanent residence. You would then simply pay the property tax. CA property taxes are more in line with reality around the rest of the US.

[Edited on 5-23-2014 by LancairDriver]
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2014 at 10:15 PM

I'm pretty sure I saw one of y'all on the 405 in Long Beach the other day... busted-up old truck, Baja stickers, SD plates. Made me smile.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
I'm pretty sure I saw one of y'all on the 405 in Long Beach the other day... busted-up old truck, Baja stickers, SD plates. Made me smile.

I'm one of them and wonder many people are registered in SD to take advantage of that state's laws favoring nomads. Thousands or more I think.

It is nice that something on the 405 traffic made you smile geek. I did my time living and working in LA and Org Co. as a CHP guy in that traffic. I must admit it was fun at times, always something weird and crazy popping up. Now I am enjoying exploring Baja and otras partes de MX.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 07:10 AM

From my information, the California DMV, establishes the registration value from the price when it was new, not the price that I was selling it for.
Also, at the time, the use tax for the RV was 8%, vs. SD at 3%.

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Udo's listed price is for a used RV. That rig in the picture would list in the $400,000 area new. Why pay a ridiculously high registration if you don't have to? It is possible to legally own a residence in CA and not have it as your permanent residence. You would then simply pay the property tax. CA property taxes are more in line with reality around the rest of the US.

[Edited on 5-23-2014 by LancairDriver]

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-27-2014 at 10:06 AM
Never a charge if you go to the back side

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner

Drove past Mt. Rushmore and saw 2 white mountain goats eating grass in front of the parking lot. I was surprised I was able to see the monument without having to pay the government to get close enough.
front : )

Bob Durrell
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.