Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Catavina rumor mill
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 11:43 AM

Several years ago I waited a day for gas in San Ignacio....Pemex was dry....

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
There are so many more stations now, they supply is better over all, but a very good point micah202. I remember the long lines of the 70's in USA.
Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
We use to see cars and mohos lined-up waiting for the truck to refuel the station. Always hated to see the moho caravans at a Pemex, they could suck a station dry. Time have changed...

....have they?
...the supply chain is actually pretty fragile ,,,it wouldn't take much of an event to see those lines,and much worse reappear!

Don't believe everything you think....
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 12:17 PM

Getting gas in Baja prior to the paved road south was always an adventure.

Allen R

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by bufeo]
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo
Getting gas in Baja prior to the paved road south was always an adventure.

Allen R

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by bufeo]

Even after it was paved if a station was open and had gas you would top off just in case. Also, whoever mentioned the RVs was right on...one of those caravans could drain a Pemex station dry real quick.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 01:10 PM

I'd never give a guy a ride with a loaded gun and ammo but maybe that is my US mentality.
Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
The pot farm is dead and gone, there is no reason to to go down that road and it has a gate. The narco is up north and it's a very big house that can be seen from the road. Dr. have you ever been been south by road?

If I thought these places posed a issue to travelers, I would be spewing all that I could.(lawyers, guns and money, police) They are not, your are taking this thread down a road of your own little world. Leave it, I was trying to let this board what the hot rumor is in Catavina. That is all.

If you think Baja is without risk, DO NOT GO!!! If you do go, except the risk and all that goes with it.
Those that have skin in the game get it, those of us that pass through it should do so with respect and humility, with our head on a swivel.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I'd never give a guy a ride with a loaded gun and ammo but maybe that is my US mentality.[quote

If he wanted you to, you would probably give him a ride. A man with a loaded gun can be very persuasive.

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by jbcoug]

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 01:17 PM

What are you smoking now doc? Where anywhere did this thread say anything about a loaded gun? Have YOU ever driven south of Ensenada? Ever?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 01:17 PM
One can hope

That they put in an OXXO or a 7/11 also

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 01:28 PM

He was carting bullets with him, I assume in a gun. But could be he had a baggie with bullets in them.
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
What are you smoking now doc? Where anywhere did this thread say anything about a loaded gun? Have YOU ever driven south of Ensenada? Ever?
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 02:59 PM

Doc. this is really about GAS, Please don't take it off course. Some of us think that having a permanent source there is really a good idea. There is gas available all over that area if you ask around, but it is from drums. I have always felt bad about making somebody travel on my behalf.

You have picked apart everything but the gas. if you don't have anything add about gas please don't post or start your own thread.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I'd never give a guy a ride with a loaded gun and ammo but maybe that is my US mentality.

Oh, Doc.....you probably would if the gun was pressed against your head :biggrin:

....but then I am only speculating.....you can appreciate that, no?

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Several years ago I waited a day for gas in San Ignacio....Pemex was dry....

In the last few years, San Ignacio can be a bit problematic. More than once, we have found they without gas. We learned that when we arrive at San Ignacio, and the station is open, we fill up---- never wait until the next morning. :-)

The only thing I hate about a Pemex opening in a place like San Ignacio and other places is that it puts someone out of a job who has probably been in business for a long time.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 03:27 PM

It would be a very good deal if gas were sold again at Catavina. I was cheated at the gas station once when coming south alone and rode on fumes right after Catavina until I finally saw a barrel.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
OldSalt

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 03:32 PM

If the Doc would post a picture of herself at Catavina,(or anywhere south of Maneadero for that matter), her credibility would skyrocket. Well, that's probably a fizzle... The silence is deafening.

[Edited on 6-5-2014 by OldSalt]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 03:34 PM

+10

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 04:54 PM

I absolutely cannot imagine the reopening of a Pemex station in Catavina until. if it ever happens, they electrify the area. It makes little sense to have to pay for the fuel to power the pumps, as they are off the grid.

The Los Pinos folks did upgrade the generators at the hotel so they now provide power throughout all day. Much better than when you had to wait until 5pm to be able to turn on your room A/C. But, for the life of me, I do not understand why they did not install solar, given the local conditions.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I absolutely cannot imagine the reopening of a Pemex station in Catavina until. if it ever happens, they electrify the area. It makes little sense to have to pay for the fuel to power the pumps, as they are off the grid.

The Los Pinos folks did upgrade the generators at the hotel so they now provide power throughout all day. Much better than when you had to wait until 5pm to be able to turn on your room A/C. But, for the life of me, I do not understand why they did not install solar, given the local conditions.
I fail to see the problem, you pull up for gas and the attendant fires up the generator, fills you up then shuts it down. exactly like they do in gonzaga bay. how hard is that?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 05:23 PM

Catavina is a great place for a fueling facility. NO FLOODING there, except for that arroyo south of town.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 05:37 PM

And here's the facility that they're probably talking about re-opening:

Two above ground storage (AST) tanks and 1 dispenser. One gas AST and 1 diesel AST? Or maybe one verde and one rojo? Or one could be for the generator for the hotel I guess................

[Edited on 6-6-2014 by Ateo]

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 06:07 PM

I remember when the station at Cataviņa was up and running. After it closed the guys at the hotel would sell me gas from the area near the employees dorm. Never did buy gas at their pump.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2014 at 06:11 PM

the local entrepreneurs would just buy all the gas and sell it out of barrels, whats gonna change?
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.