Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: the loss of the best of the best
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
So if he was such a genius and the best, what went wrong do you think? I remember him always a Mork from Ork... Mrs. Doubtfire was pretty good, too.
Adios Mork!

I wish I could be this eloquent and heartfelt discussing the death of someone who obviously brought such love, joy, and laughter to so many here on this board.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 05:38 AM

He lived in our neighbor hood until recently. I would see him often walking or running in the park. His Halloween hand outs to the kids were special. A funny guy for sure, but he could also make you cry.
RIP

[Edited on 8-12-2014 by Marc]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Robin talked about using drugs heavily during the time of Mork. His mind was so extraordinary in front of the camera, I wonder what the extent of his lifelong drug use was and how it might have taken his mind to dark places. I always watched him with amazement.

Apparently sober much of his life and not "lifelong drug use"

http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/08/12/robin-williams-death-sui...
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 07:55 AM

After Reeves, was out of money Williams supported him and his family for years.

I met him once and I was really impresses on how human he was. Very grounded and caring.

He provided us with a lot of laughs. Interesting that we all connected to him and we found out of his passing we needed to reach out to somebody, at lease I needed to. Rest in peace.

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
http://www.alibris.com/In-the-Wild-Gray-Whales-with-Christop...

Baja connection - Do any of you remember the Christopher Reeves (Superman) documentary on Grey Whales? Reeves and Williams were long time friends and Williams was by Reeves side throughout his ordeal.

Edit - fix link

[Edited on 8-12-2014 by bajadogs]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 08:15 AM

What a tragedy. I think laughter is an instinctive, reflexive expression of joy. He like nobody else could spark that reflex, often with tremendous humor and wit.

I'm glad his comedy is freely available on YouTube, he's not gone. His interviews with Charlie Rose are great. Here's a minute's worth.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 08:29 AM

Such a terrible loss. :no::no:

If he indeed made this choice for other reasons, then that deserves our respect. If he was suffering from the depression that some say led to this, than it is so very, very sad. Depression, like all mental illness, too often is burdened with a social stigma that gets in the way of treatment.

Too many think things like because he was a genius, or because he was so successful, what did he have to be depressed about. They don't understand that it is an illness the same as something like cancer that can strike anyone.

Robin Williams' idol, Jonathan Winters, who left this world last year suffered from depression and other mental illnesses. For years, he would sign himself into the Camarillo State Mental Hospital for treatment. If it was the depression with Williams, it is just too sad that he evidently was not finding the help he needed.

I keep hearing, "Good Morning, Vietnam!" While I have several favorites, that movie just sticks in my mind.

May Robin and his family find peace.

[Edited on 8-12-2014 by DianaT]
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 09:44 AM

Hard to imagine the torment he was going through, being such a beloved human being, to cause him to end his life.

A very sad passing.........

A couple of memories of Robin.

Back in the 80's in San Francisco I was at the Great American Music Hall to see him perform. Half way into the show he was joined onstage by a guitarist and drummer, he pulled out a harmonica and played a blues set for 30 minutes blowing away every one in the hall.

While riding a motorcycle in Canada in 2001 on the Cassiar Highway (a North South route to Alaska in BC, little used compared to the "Alcan Highway" most are familiar with), we saw some of those white tents used at big events set up in the forest along the road. No one was around and it was hard to imagine why they would be there. Later came to discover it was one of the locations for the film Insomnia. With Al Pacino starring, Robin played a murderer and was just stunning in the role.

What a breadth of talent he had.

RIP
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 11:26 AM

Well said Parrot. Like most, I've had friends and family members suffer from depression. Some did not survive.

Yesterday, I made it a point to reach out to some who I know are struggling with recent deaths of friends/family, loss of jobs/income, anxiety, aging- things we all experience, but not all "bounce back" as easily. I worried how they would react to William's death.

Depression is an illness of the brain. The more we understand that, the less we will pass judgement, any more than we do on people with illness in other parts of the body.

Thanks to Robin Williams for his brilliance. He shined so brightly and burned out too soon.

Quote:
Originally posted by majicparrot
He had struggled with severe depression recently, according to his family's press release, and with addiction in the past.

Anytime your brain tells your heart there is no hope left, and your heart believes the lie, it is devastating to the soul.

I wish for his family to find comfort and solace.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 12:31 PM
A comment astonishingly lacking in temerity

Quote:
So if he was such a genius and the best, what went wrong do you think? I remember him always a Mork from Ork... Mrs. Doubtfire was pretty good, too.
Adios Mork!

David - it saddens me you could be so curt. Perhaps you do not understand the range of severe clinical depression. Many with genius quality and immense talent end up so far down they end it all.

I will miss him. and Jonathon Winters was in an elite class of comics as well but alas had depression.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 02:58 PM

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=881952

Words from Mr. Williams.

no change

[Edited on 8-12-2014 by bajacalifornian]

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
It has been said that we die twice: the first time when our body dies.....and the second time is when our name is last spoken.

Robin will live on in spirit and word for some time yet.

Now, that's awesome. Thanks for sharing. RIP Robin.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 06:09 PM

My gawd, David :O:O:O

Defending your judgement and insensitivity rather than retracting it with some element of humility just says a lot about you, your beliefs, and values :no:

Folks here aren't mourning the loss of the jokes....they are mourning the loss of the jester. They understood his struggle with depression and its symptoms....and some have opened their hearts to acknowledge how the illness of depression has hurt them and their families.

Suicide is not necessarily the behaviour of a coward...his time may have come....who are you to say? How does a "natural or accidental " death not "rob" those left behind?

I am disappointed with your callousness and insensitivity....but you have solidified a certain impression of the way you look at life. :(

Don't believe everything you think....
bazinga
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 06:14 PM

Well said Motoged, I couldn't have said it better....
majicparrot

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 06:20 PM

Well put, Motoged. Not much to add, other than David clearly doesn't know sheet about depression or compassion. Clearly well versed in trollery and judgmental behavior, however.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Quote:
Adios Mork!

David - it saddens me you could be so curt. Perhaps you do not understand the range of severe clinical depression. Many with genius quality and immense talent end up so far down they end it all.

I will miss him. and Jonathon Winters was in an elite class of comics as well but alas had depression.

Curt? He hung himself... that is being pretty curt. His wife was at home and he wasn't lacking human contact or appreciation. I think it is a shame, but I also think it is selfish and cowardly to take your life before your time has come, unless you are terminal and maybe he was? Please don't care what I think, it doesn't matter. I am responding because you called me out on my short, curt reply.

I don't know anything about him beyond is movies and TV and all the talk on TV now. If he had children and grandchildren, then he has robbed them. His choice to stop entertaining may bother most here, but that is his choice and he did not have to kill himself in order to quit acting, I hope!

Being a husband, parent, grandparent or even a friend and taking that away is the tragedy, not losing an actor you liked to be entertained by. Sad for family and friends.

Unfortunately you are not the only one who is ignorant about depression. Think about it as a cancer of the mind that may or may not become terminal.

Try taking the time to educate yourself a little about subject. Being loved and appreciated is often not enough, and a truly depressed person is not capable of thinking about others while they are in their deep despair.

And I doubt any of us are grieving over losing his talent as that will continue to live and be available to enjoy over and over. It is the sad loss of a human being. Try reading about what he did for the Reeves family --- Robin Williams was a caring and good human being. Most have just expressed their compassion and empathy for him, his family and his friends. May you not learn about depression the way some of us have, and that is by losing a loved one to this disease.

I know that Sheppard Smith on Faux news also called him a possible coward so you are not alone in your ignorance; there were some others. Try educating yourself and not just accept what you hear on Faux.

But then again, it is your right to just not give a rip.

[Edited on 8-13-2014 by DianaT]
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 09:48 PM

I battled with depression in the weeks and months following the sudden loss of my 14 year old daughter Olivia. It was debilitating and there were many days when I struggled to find a reason to get out of bed before noon, much less get dressed and go on about my day. It cuts you off at the knees and you can feel like you are falling down a deep hole with no possible way out.

It was the strong, relentless and caring hands of my local friends and neighbors where I lived here in Baja that refused to let me fall all the way down. One in particular - Rodolfo Carranza - was my next door neighbor. Over time I became very close to his family and I would sum him up with one word - cabron.

After time had passed since Olivia's funeral, he started coming to my door each day at around 6:30AM and began knocking - eventually turning into banging on my door until I would get up. He would come in uninvited and literally stand there until I got dressed, took me out for coffee and wouldn't take me back home until I got focused on doing something beyond grieving for that day. I remember one time when I wouldn't go down to answer the door he hauled a ladder over the back fence and climbed up to my second floor balcony where he banged on the glass sliding door until I finally got up.

He was a persistent cabron.

To know me today you would appreciate the severity of the state I was in and Rodolfo, along with his brother Juan Carlos and other friends played a huge role in helping me to climb out of the darkness, to begin to see life beyond the confines of my depression.

Rodolfo passed away from a heart attack two years ago last June and I will never, ever forget what he and his family did for me. I wonder if Robin Williams lacked someone like that in his life? It truly takes a special person to be able to help someone so lost in depression. Maybe we all can reflect for a moment to see if there is someone in our life who needs a "persistent cabron" for a friend right now. I am no therapist but what he did for me was life saving.

Love and miss you Rodolfo. You were heaven sent when I most needed it...

[Edited on 8-13-2014 by BajaGringo]

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 09:54 PM

WOW!..... DK. You are blessed that you have not been exposed to depression or mental illness.
A very good friend told me his family would be better off he was not in the world..... He believed it, he chose to find out the answer to the big question. He told his wife "when his dragons flew he could not control them, he would not expose his family to them". The world of the depressed is not something they chose to be in.
This is not a simple off the shelf answer, try looking at it another point of view. I do not think you can.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 10:33 PM

Quote:
I am quite familiar with suicide, and I stand by what I said because of what it did to my family. I am not advocating my feelings on anyone. Capt. Mike chose to use my first, short reaction to make a deal about it.

I don't watch Faux or Fox News typically, and not at all in several weeks. I have no idea of what Diana T has such a problem with any news or why she misspells it. Ignorance is bliss, I guess?

It is sad for what happened, but so is the death of the 4 Americans serving their country in Benghazi who were not helped. They didn't want to die, but Robin Williams did.

None of you are in my head, so please don't second guess my responses, as they were just my feelings. They make NO DIFFERENCE to the outcome. Post your feelings and I promise NOT TO HARASS YOU FOR HAVING THOSE FEELINGS.

OMG! You don't know why Faux is misspelled? This may be your most embarrassing post ever!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 10:49 PM

epitaph:

DAVID K.

2# of BULLchitE in a 1# BAG

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Sad... can you stay on the thread or am I more important?

Benghazi is more important and a brilliant comparison with Robin Williams. :lol:
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.