Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Scorpions
grace59
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 05:43 AM

I've noticed a lot more over the last two years in San Felipe. I am wondering if it is because we've had more rain than usual which brings plant growth, more bugs etc. Some really big suckers, too! Found a very large, very irritated one on my patio this summer after some torrential rain fall....also found a couple of smaller ones on my pillow this summer, too! <<<Shiver>>> I keep a black light flashlight on each of our night stands in case one of us needs to use the bath room in the middle of the night. I've never been stung....hope I never am, but I keep Benadryl and some Tea Tree Oil at the house just in case.

Whenever I hear that rainy, chill wind blow. I think it may be time to head for Mexico. Tengo que obedecer mi corazon!
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 07:00 AM
Pets? Anyone have them in terrariums?

Fried? Can they be eaten?

Pregnant? Or just fat?

Seems like they are prevalent in abundance!

Best to all, stay safe!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 08:56 AM

As they dwell 'under' things, rain will flush 'em out (along with tarantulas, centipedes, millipedes, etc....) and in the heat of summer they especially LOVE the coolness of palapa roof/ceilings, in between cement blocks, and palm trees, especially if not smooth-shaven. Cold blooded, you'll see them more actively at night in the warmer months. And, always a good idea to 'clap'-out your shoes and clothing in the mornings. They will truly be one of the meek who inherit the earth.

And eaten? Don't you ever watch Andrew Zimmern and 'Bizarre Foods'? Very popular in Asia, lightly dusted and fried (stinger's clipped). I hear they taste like chicken.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryK
Hey Budda this is redlarry. I packed ice on all the spots, took away the pain, but was sore to the touch for 24 hrs.

So you had to leave the nipples out of the process for 24 hours, eh? That's 'tough ta ta'! (although..... did it swell?) :lol:

86 - 45*

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 09:44 AM

then again you live there, what do have to lose?:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it3UsKeKGto
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 10:15 AM
Scorpies!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Nasty critters. We spent many times house boating on Lake Powell. ....

We saw them, scorpions, at Powell also as well as Tarantulas. At one anchorage at Oak Bay they were pretty thick. Our place in Borrego Springs has the large Mexican wood scorpions. We do have a black light we use for room sweeps if we've been away for a while.

EdZ
EdZeranski
Nomad

Mood: Si! Como no???

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Small brown to gray critters are common here. Had one in my shoe once and he got me. it was kinda like a bee sting.
Now....those other nasty guys above...that's a different story. they will ruin your day.

Have you ever tried "After Bite" on scorpion stings??

EdZ
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TLBaja79
Whats the best remedy if you do get hit by one? knock on wood I have never been stung

I find comfort by squashing it with my shoe but that's only temporary.:yawn::rolleyes::?:
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 12:20 PM

Most of those seen in this thread are Hadrurus arizonensis... Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion. I have one as a pet. The one above in the thread might be pregnant. They gestate for over a year. The stings with these are about as painful as a bee sting.

Here is mine. The UV light from the camera flash gives it a green tinge.

What she looks like with a black light ...

[Edited on 9-29-2014 by BooJumMan]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 12:22 PM

nice piece of seaweed!

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 03:12 PM

and yes, lavender essential oil does repel them, as with all insects...they just don't like the smell....we do... www.purplehazelavender.com ..

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 03:32 PM

wow..... i'm still into patchouli, man..... :cool:

86 - 45*

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 04:43 PM

dang it, I'm all out of Lavender body splash...hint hint!

the tarantulas come out a few days before the rain...usually a good indication we are going to get rain. Juan gets stung all the time working with rock...and he says it's less than a bee sting...ants bites are the mother fuggers!!! and last for days.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 07:16 PM

now I want a black lite.

that collection of scorps that drowned in the pool is incredible!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Nancy Drew
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 08:44 PM

the life cycle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHmBBvJssdY
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 09:39 PM

I just ordered the blacklite off ebay from susan and what'sis'name's first post.

Ants, especially the black harvesters, are the worst. Been bit by most colors, most sizes of ants from 3 continents, including Ambush Ants (oh my allah). According to an eminent college professor who goes around stinging himself from every 'bug' possible to make his own 'worst stings' list (from NAU, of course... Flag Hag) the Tarantula Wasp is King of Owwies....

Then again, EMS in 4 corners, did black widows, buzzworms, and the effects of the HORRIBLE BITE OF A COLLARED LIZARD ON A 7-YEAR-OLD, and boy, can the stories fly........ ( the lizard was horribly dispatched, the kid was FINE).

(p.s. : don't mention this to any medical professionals..... ;):coolup:

86 - 45*

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 09:53 PM

ADDENDUM: POOR HERMAN....

We have had several scorpions dispatched in our home here in southern NM. This whole spring and summer we had HERMAN, our pet Tarantula, living in our parking area in a burrow. I got a few pics, had requests for it, and here's the best I could get:

His burrow was cool; all the excavation was blended in with the surrounding terra, and you couldn't tell where he put all the 'diggings'. Unfortunately, about 3 weeks ago, his hole was GONE. Previously, every day was gossamer-covered, and he/she would emerge after dark (in the pic) . One day, the hole was not only covered in, but just as inconspicuously covered as the 'diggings' were scattered about.

We waited 4-6 days, and excavated. The hole went down a whole FOOT! Angled to the side, down another 20+- degrees to an antechamber, and it was bedded with a BUNCH of carpet fibers from my neighbor's yard (whole n'uther story). No spider, no remnants, no corpse with Tarantula Hawk's egg or larva on it... but a FUN DIG. Kewl Beans, Bonzo! And all this right next to a Datura plant; I think Herman got beamed up by Don Juan.

86 - 45*

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 10:20 PM

Some bats eat scorpions
They go "crunch" when stepped on with boots :-)
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2014 at 05:24 PM

I got stung on the finger by a scorpion about three weeks ago. It was a little guy and really only hurt like a bee sting for about 20 min. But the finger tingled for a couple days.

WTF
CatCrazyJulie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2014 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mrfatboy
This is my scorpion collection. All drowned in the pool in the last 30 days.

Er, excuse me, but where in Baja are you/your pool?!?! Yikes!

Although I imagine scorpions are fairly well-distributed throughout Baja...last year in Cabo Pulmo, when we camped out for the first time on our lot in the pygmy forest in the uplands. And discovered that anything left outside rather quickly became "habitat" to walking sticks, huge hairy huntsman spiders, and to scorpions, among other critters.

My husband is allergic to bee stings, so we carry epipens; not sure what this bodes re his potential reaction to scorpion stings, but he tends to have more intense than usual reactions to any insect bite, e.g., mosquito bites become big welts.

Screened areas are definitely a survival tactic.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.