Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mex immigration sweeps Petes camp
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-7-2014 at 09:35 PM
so far

myself have never heard of anyone that has heard of anyone having a issue on not turning in your tourist card...BUT..never say never !! I would not even give get a 2nd thought !!:cool:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 08:15 AM

The U.S. stamped your passport when you returned???

As for getting a new FMM, just make sure you do not have the previous one with you!!!

Nothing will happen... or at least has ever happened that we have heard of.

An address has been provided here on Nomad in the past (from Discover Baja Travel Club) where you can mail in your FMMs from your U.S. home before they expire, as there is no procedure created by Mexico to collect them as you drive out of the country.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

akshadow
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 08:54 AM
FMM return

I also would not worry, But the "procedure" at the East Mexicali crossing to turn it in is the same as getting FMM when you go into Mexico. Stop at the Mexican Immigration office, go inside, return form, get your passport stamped." It is a bit of extra work because you first have to turn into the Lanes for the Mexican Customs/immigration then after this go to main road and start the line for getting to US Border crossing. Mexican immigration official gave us these instructions but did not seem to really want all the extra traffic compliance would require. I did this when I left last spring.
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

As for getting a new FMM, just make sure you do not have the previous one with you!!!

An address has been provided here on Nomad in the past (from Discover Baja Travel Club) where you can mail in your FMMs from your U.S. home before they expire, as there is no procedure created by Mexico to collect them as you drive out of the country.

Ron San Felipe Oct, Nov. Feb. Mar. April. remainder in Juneau Ak
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Bull pucky. you just do not like the procedure. You do like others have done. you return it to the immigration office. The back clearly states (in English for non-spanish speaking people) "During your stay in Mexico, you must retain this immigration form and surrender it upon leaving the country."

Because they have never enforced it, you think it is OK.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
"During your stay in Mexico, you must retain this immigration form and surrender it upon leaving the country."

There has to be a reasonable method to do that when exiting through TJ/San Ysidro. I mean, you can't personally turn it in if there's no place to accept it. It would require re-entry into Mexico. One could get caught up in a never ending circle.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
"During your stay in Mexico, you must retain this immigration form and surrender it upon leaving the country."

There has to be a reasonable method to do that when exiting through TJ/San Ysidro. I mean, you can't personally turn it in if there's no place to accept it. It would require re-entry into Mexico. One could get caught up in a never ending circle.

My son turns his in at the immigration office in Tecate.. The officer records it in the computer (I am assuming on the record for the permit). You could do the same in TJ but it would require going to the immigration office first before exiting the country. Before everyone get is a up-roar, yes it would be nice if they provided a drop box in the exit lanes to the US.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 11:11 AM

I have taken my expired FMM to the office to get a new one, only to the the INM official restamp it for another 6 months - return the old one.. pfsst - vale madre.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
You could do the same in TJ but it would require going to the immigration office first before exiting the country. Before everyone get is a up-roar, yes it would be nice if they provided a drop box in the exit lanes to the US.

Well...I did say "reasonable", but you must have missed that part, Ralph.
Correct me if I'm wrong...the immigration office in TJ is at the entrance to the country. How is one expected to access that office without re-entering Mexico.
Furthermore, how is one to access that office without leaving Mexico to make the return trip?

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 11:31 AM

Quote:

The back clearly states (in English for non-spanish speaking people) "During your stay in Mexico, you must retain this immigration form and surrender it upon leaving the country."

This is clearly Mex Imm regs, in practice I have never had or
heard any Tourist to Mex being questioned on a previous fmm
not being reurned, when applying for a new one. I'm kinda
uptight about paperwork in Mex, Immigration, Insurance, etc., I always have things in order. I physically return fmm's, and
get an exit stamp, however there never has been any indication it matters. Mex Imm has told Tourists in the past
it doesn't matter if you turn an fmm in, but the last 2 times
crossing at Calexico to San Felipe, getting the free 7 day
fmm, Imm were clear in stating they wanted the fmm returned before it expired, again I don't think it matters in the least if one returns

one or not
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:

The back clearly states (in English for non-spanish speaking people) "During your stay in Mexico, you must retain this immigration form and surrender it upon leaving the country."

This is clearly Mex Imm regs, in practice I have never had or
heard any Tourist to Mex being questioned on a previous fmm
not being reurned, when applying for a new one. I'm kinda
uptight about paperwork in Mex, Immigration, Insurance, etc., I always have things in order. I physically return fmm's, and
get an exit stamp, however there never has been any indication it matters. Mex Imm has told Tourists in the past
it doesn't matter if you turn an fmm in, but the last 2 times
crossing at Calexico to San Felipe, getting the free 7 day
fmm, Imm were clear in stating they wanted the fmm returned before it expired, again I don't think it matters in the least if one returns one or not

well,.... the issuing of FMMs is all computerized now, so only a matter of time before they learn how to use their database so they can catch the scofflaws that are not turning in their FMMs. i imagine right now there are some smart computer geeks writing code to get the FMM and passport database working the way they want it, eh?

INM has facebook and twitter pages, why don't one of you nervous nellies post a question there? ask them how and where a traveler should return their FMM when crossing northbound from Mex to USA via land border xings in baja?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You could do the same in TJ but it would require going to the immigration office first before exiting the country. Before everyone get is a up-roar, yes it would be nice if they provided a drop box in the exit lanes to the US.

Well...I did say "reasonable", but you must have missed that part, Ralph.
Correct me if I'm wrong...the immigration office in TJ is at the entrance to the country. How is one expected to access that office without re-entering Mexico.
Furthermore, how is one to access that office without leaving Mexico to make the return trip?

reasonable to whom. There are some that think tourism drives Mexico's economy and that entering and exiting Mexico should be painless. After listening to the political debate over land ownership, There appears to be others in Mexico who differ on that issue. I believe it is still possible to park in TJ and walk to the immigration office...Oh oh, I said walk.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
I believe it is still possible to park in TJ and walk to the immigration office...Oh oh, I said walk.

Yeah, you could do that at the new US to Mex pedestrian crossing on the east side. You would be walking against the flow in a crowd, perhaps a real heavy crowd, depending. Parking in TJ, walking to the office and back to the parking lot would take about 1/2 hour. Plus you would have to pay to park. Plus you would have to find your way back to the vehicle lanes from the parking lot, maybe another 15 minutes if you know the route, it's not easy.

I suggest you do it. Be a trailblazer, you would be the first to ever do it.

I'll just keep throwing mine away when they expire.

[Edited on 10-8-2014 by SFandH]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:
I believe it is still possible to park in TJ and walk to the immigration office...Oh oh, I said walk.

Yeah, you could do that at the new US to Mex pedestrian crossing on the east side. You would be walking against the flow in a crowd, perhaps a real heavy crowd, depending. Parking in TJ, walking to the office and back to the parking lot would take about 1/2 hour. Plus you would have to pay to park. Plus you would have to find your way back to the vehicle lanes from the parking lot, maybe another 15 minutes if you know the route, it's not easy.

I suggest you do it. Be a trailblazer, you would be the first to ever do it.

I'll just keep throwing mine away when they expire.

No I obeyed the laws and became a legal resident many years ago. My son returns his in Tecate...no big deal. Easy? who said it was supposed to be easy?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 01:24 PM

perhaps INM could employ the chiclets and churro vendors to collect FMMs from y'all while you wait in line at the border.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
reasonable to whom.

Reasonable to those asked to comply......or do you believe the demand trumps all in this cooperative venture?
Reminds me of Mexico's recent demand that foreign residents...US citizens in particular....meet an income requirement that far exceeds that which Social Security will allow, knowing full well that is the income bracket of many expats.
Kinda makes some feel inadequate in the scheme of things, as well of being in fear of being dispossessed of all they have and have done here.
Now...that doesn't sound to me like such high regard for foreign money....or US citizens.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
reasonable to whom.

Reasonable to those asked to comply......or do you believe the demand trumps all in this cooperative venture?
Reminds me of Mexico's recent demand that foreign residents...US citizens in particular....meet an income requirement that far exceeds that which Social Security will allow, knowing full well that is the income bracket of many expats.
Kinda makes some feel inadequate in the scheme of things, as well of being in fear of being dispossessed of all they have and have done here.
Now...that doesn't sound to me like such high regard for foreign money....or US citizens.

Dennis my friend, no. we and our money are not held in high regard sometimes.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:
reasonable to whom.

Reminds me of a good friends effort to get a VISA to come to the US. His sole reason is to shop with his girlfriend (she is a US citizen) and visit friends. Even though , on his third attempt, he had a letter from his College, his future employer (the coop), and many references....denied...no income and single. Sound familiar?
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 03:14 PM

Quote:

No I obeyed the laws and became a legal resident many years ago. My son returns his in Tecate...no big deal. Easy? who said it was supposed to be easy?

Tecate? I thought we were talking San Ysidro. At San Ysidro, the Mex gov has made no provisions for a tourist to return a FMM. I cross there frequently, walking and driving. I know the crossing well. However I don't know how to drive northbound to the office where FMMs are issued when driving southbound. Maybe you don't know, the new southbound crossing is not in the same place as the northbound crossing, which is where a northbound tourist would be going.

There must be a way, the Mex workers at the crossing get there but it's not marked nor obvious. A tourist driving back wouldn't be able to find it.

So you could do as I suggested and turnin the FMM at the office the pedestrians use on the east side of the original crossing, but, like I explained, it's complicated and time consuming, and again, a tourist driving northbound would not know how to do it. There are no signs whatsoever saying where the office is. None. I know, because like I said, I'm very familiar with the crossing, both walking and driving. If the tourist gets into the lanes to cross north, which would be a natural thing to do, he can't park and walk to the office. He would need to bypass the northbound crossing lanes, drive to Colonia Federal, park, and walk and then find his way back to the northbound crossing lanes from Colonia Federal. Good luck.

I hope you understand the situation even though it doesn't affect you because you don't use FMMs and your son crosses at Tecate.

It's not impossible to turn in a FMM at San Ysidro, it's next to impossible.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 04:55 PM
Returning FMM's

You could avoid the hassle at the border and return the FMM by mail:

Postage is $1.15 (as of Aug. 2014) if mailing from the U.S.

INSTITUTO NACIONAL DE MIGRACION
PUENTE PUERTA S/N
COLONIA FEDERAL
TIJUANA, B.C. MEXICO C.P. 22310

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 05:07 PM

Quote:

Reminds me of a good friends effort to get a VISA to come to the US. His sole reason is to shop with his girlfriend (she is a US citizen) and visit friends. Even though , on his third attempt, he had a letter from his College, his future employer (the coop), and many references....denied...no income and single. Sound familiar?

We had a good friend who had a good income, a home, and no problems in her background denied a visa because she did not have fingerprints! The tips of her fingers are very smooth!. She now has the visa only because she married someone with dual citizenship.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.