Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: What now???? RATTLER!
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Too bad this one got too close to Rex and family. Maybe looking for water? Rodents living near houses?

Snakes are valuable in maintaining a balance of rodents in the natural environment, but unfortunately dangerous near homes with people and pets.

....hmmm,,,holy threadjump,,,,but I was reading about the Meerkats in the scorpion thread--it seems they're related to the Mongoose family and 'friendly unless attacked'......these might be the right 'rodent' to play the balance!? :rolleyes:
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 10:41 AM

"I'm with this guy. Beautiful animal. How hard is it to toss it in a bucket and drive it out in the desert far away from everything and let it go?"

I know this is the right thing to do. but I know it would follow my tire tracks right back to my porch. im sorry but I gotta go with wahoolarry on this one!
(and yes im scared to death of these serpents:( )
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 01:00 PM

Another vote here for relocation. No need to kill them, just take him for a drive!

"The future ain't what it used to be"
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 02:32 PM

Some years ago I had some survival training and we had a rattlesnake seminar. We have rattlers in British Columbia, and the presenter's father operated a gamefarm in Kaleden, BC (since shut down). The snake guy had a box of them and we had a chance to learn a few things:

1) When he brought one out of the box, EVERYONE was quick to paste themself to the farthest wall away from the wiggler :biggrin: ;

2) A rattler cannot strike farther than 1/2 its body length;

3) the babies three inches long are as toxic as adults;

4) not every bite is accompanied with venom.

A year later I came across one in that area and decided to examine its behaviour and try to reduce my mammalian fear of reptiles. I had a shovel in the truck and blocked its intended path of escape....it went through a range of behaviours to warn me, threaten me, and to escape.

I eventually killed it as I wanted to taste it and I wanted the skin.

It was somewhat like the texture of chicken white meat. I fried it ("sauteed" as Udo would say ;D ) with no seasoning other than a bit of black pepper..... Not delicious but good enough if starving, for sure.

When I skinned it, I cut it from pooper to its head on the belly side, stretched it out on a board with wet side out and with pins from the sewing kit. After two days I reversed it to continue drying (w/ all 6 rattles intact ).

it was a conversation piece for a while.....I kept it rolled up w/ rattlers on outside of roll when storing it away.

One time I placed it under the passenger side sun visor in the truck so, when the visor was lowered, it dropped on the passenger as it quickly unfurled and rattled its way onto the passenger's lap .... :lol::lol::lol: (is what I thought).

This time I was going hiking w/ a buddy to find more snakes around Okanagan Falls/ White Lake area....and on the way I asked him to get a map from under the visor....

Needless to say, Mark thought it was funny after he peeled himself on the roof of the cab....:biggrin:

Never killed another one and wouldn't unless necessary.

I also don't hunt or fish.....but I eat flesh, so no moralizing here.

Just a snake story.

[Edited on 10-3-2014 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 07:29 PM

not a big fan of reptiles! my feeling....The only good snake is a dead snake,
just sayin :rolleyes:
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 08:25 PM

Looks to me like Crotalus enyo, Baja California Rattlesnake. Not aggressive. Don't grow very large. If you decide to relocate one, which seems much better to me than does killing it, take it a good mile away from your own traffic areas and release it in similar surroundings if you can. Some species can and will find their way home from some distance.

[Edited on 10-4-2014 by tehag]

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-3-2014 at 08:26 PM

I kill the rattlers and spare the gopher snakes.
Venomous snakes bad. Nonvenomous snakes good.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-4-2014 at 07:23 AM

Ginormous Baja rattlesnakes!

http://www.bcsnoticias.mx/atrapan-vibora-gigante-cerca-de-ci...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-4-2014 at 08:32 AM
This one lived to tell his friends...

My daughter having watched too many Steve Irwin shows got closer to this red diamondback then I liked, but I had to take a photo as it wasn't going to happen again! This was on the road to Punta San Francisquito, south from Bahia de los Angeles in April, 2003. After the photo op, we let him go on his merry way.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Benjediver

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
We get at least 3 kinds of buzz-worms here in southern NM in the warm months. I love 'em when they're in their 'yard', but when they come into mine, sorry Charlie. They get dispatched. Sidewinders are extremely aggressive too; I got out of my car once to 'shoo' one off a lonely highway to save his life; the bugger chased me back to my car!! Didn't know this fat old man could run so fast. Needless to say, his fate was then in his... er.... skin....
:wow:

The Sidewinder in NM might be aggressive. The ones in San Felipe BC are NOT aggressive at all and usually fairly small.
baconjr
Nomad

Mood: Es la vida de perro!

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 02:34 PM

I have been told Benadryl for infants works well at combating venom in dogs. Dog owners in Borrego Springs keep it on handy seeing that there is no medical services available in the area. Has anyone had any experience with it?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 02:39 PM

We have taken our Labrador Retriever to Rattlesnake Avoidance Training. That and an anti-venom shot every year. The shot slows down the toxic affects of the snakebite, allowing you to get to a Vet for treatment.

http://socalrattlesnakeavoidancetraining.com/home.php

Your Vet should know who is doing the training

Quote:
Originally posted by baconjr
I have been told Benadryl for infants works well at combating venom in dogs. Dog owners in Borrego Springs keep it on handy seeing that there is no medical services available in the area. Has anyone had any experience with it?

[Edited on 10-5-2014 by bajaguy]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 05:28 PM

fascinating read! Of course I will relocate the beautiful snake next time! I am not afraid of them at all although I definitely do NOT want anyone around or Rex (the dog) to get bitten.

I had no idea how far they could strike and thought it was much further than half their body length.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 09:33 PM

I did two bug-worm bite runs while EMS in southern Utah. Learned a few things to pass on; anti-venin for snake bite can be as bad as the venom itself if not administered properly by the trained physician, there's many variables for taking it. I'd talk to my personal Veterinarian and grill 'em about giving a dog a 'JUST IN CASE' shot; why, and what's the side effects? Also, true, snakes can only strike 1/3rd (1/2, fine) of their body length WHEN COMPLETELY COILED AND DEFENSIVE. Young'uns are just as venomous, and effects depend on many variables; where the strike is, how long since the snake last fed (impossible to discern), age/health of victim, variety of snake.... and I do know it's a sumbiatch of a hurtful experience. Most snakebite victims are between 18-30 year-old males who are ETOH (borrachos) trying to 'handle' the snake... there by the grace of allah-yahweh-AndyMurphy go a lot of us.

For all the 'save the snakes' folks, let me preface; I AM TOO. I've carried many a buzz-worm down a riverbank for half a mile to protect it from the tourists. However, one in my yard here gets dispatched immediately. I don't kill Biuda(V?) Negras in the wild, either. Earlier post; tried to save a sidewinder, and drove away saying "Sherriff, YOU'RE ON Y'ER OWWWNNNN!" Rather save a snake to eat a mouse rather than protect your kids/grandkids/neighbor-kids/dogs/cats(well,cats....)... fine.

[Edited on 10-6-2014 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 10:21 PM

Regarding relocation, I'm curious about how to safely go about putting the snake into the bucket.

P >*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 10:32 PM

Paulina, first advice is, if you don't know, find someone who does. A simple shovel will do IF you can 'corral' the snake's upper-half of the body around the base of the shovel handle and spade. a VERY long stick, at least the FULL length of the snake can lift the thing, again, at least 1/3rd to 1/2 behind the head, and (important here) far enough away where it won't slide down to your location... then 'coax' it in ANY FREAKING WAY POSSIBLE, probably with several attempts.

If you're really brave, pin the head down with whatever available, grab the creature just behind the mandibles (jaws) and then simply lift, and tail-first, descend it into the receptacle. YEAH, RIGHT. 40 or so years ago, NO PROBLEM. A snake-wrangling hook would be nice, order on www.wherethehellisit.com.... Best yet, call someone who has experience and before c-cktail hour preferably......
:lol:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Regarding relocation, I'm curious about how to safely go about putting the snake into the bucket.

P >*)))>{

Remember when the kids and I were there when the rattler was under your trailer?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 03:13 PM

Has anyone here been bitten by a rattler?

on a scale of 1 to 10, how painful?

can you survive without anti-venom? Being that it would be a minimum 3+ hour drive to G Negro from here. And that is assuming that they have it there.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 03:43 PM

Blanca et al,

http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Rattlesnake-Bite

Does the bite hurt??? I dunno....waddya think?

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

Don't believe everything you think....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-6-2014 at 03:49 PM

nah, rub some dirt on it ya pansy!

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.