BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Bob Dylan describes the reason we are in Baja
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 12:17 PM

Illusions KurtG can sometimes be powerful defense mechanisms. While in Baja, we "feel" better, less stress, when in reality, there is crime, cartels and many other reality checks surrounding us. If we can escape the negative, if only for a while, it relieves stress and brings us good vibes. Better than injecting heroin or popping pills.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
.... I seem to change my opinion almost daily on whether or not the world has gotten better.

Yep....Our view may depend on our position.....and our position on our view.

That's a good line for my next ballad :light:

[Edited on 10-8-2014 by motoged]

Don't believe everything you think....
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 04:35 PM

Nothing new. Been listening to Mr. Zimmerman since 68.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba

Ditto. Songwriter, poet, philosopher, demigod, Zen master, embodiment of Truth... his music SUX. Never could stand his wailing or get through to the 'Universal Truth' everyone was pretending to subscribe to. Had to blast Kris Kristopherson to get ol' Bobby Zimmerman outa my head. Gimme a soft, soothing 'Voodoo Chile (slight return) from Jimi any day *grin*.

All seriousness aside, CADA LOCO CON SU TEMA. Whatever it took to 'Get You Through The Night' as first Willie and then the Beatles sang about. Hell, I remember you were either a Beta or a Surfer or a Greaser, and Z was still using the beatnik electric folk genre. Never could even play a decent harp. I know someone who swears Jim Morrison was (and still may be) the Second Coming..... and HE SUX TOO....
peace, out :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 10:52 PM

BB,
I know you and I have agreed on some things....but you are being a Conehead this time and deserve to spend a month with Dennis, Mr. Bill, and Sargeant Bilko in a locked elevator with only one small tin of tuna, no beer or toilet paper for a month....and the elevator "ain't goin' nowhere" .

Be nice to Zimmie....just cuz you didn't "get it"...:biggrin:

El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 11:10 PM
Currently,

Tempest is the thirty-fifth studio album by American singer-songwriter Bob Dylan, released on September 10, 2012 by Columbia Records. The album was recorded at Jackson Browne's Groove Masters Studios in Santa Monica, California. Dylan wrote all of the songs himself with the exception of the track "Duquesne Whistle", which he co-wrote with Robert Hunter.

His paintings are exquisite also.

[Edited on 10-9-2014 by El Vergel]
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 11:10 PM

Oh, I got it... more than you think. We all have our 'get-it's of the era... 'cada loco con su tema' is, "have crazy with your theme", or "be as crazy as you like", or as we all said, "do your own thing".

Touchy, touchy Ged. I'm not from France, and like I said, "all seriousness aside".... ;)
I knew i'd open a can of worms, but tuna?????????? :barf:

86 - 45*

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 11:16 PM

BB,
Just my version of:
"I'm sarcastic and have a smart-azz attitude.
It's a natural defense mechanism against
drama, bullchit and stupidity."

Todo es bueno aqui :coolup:

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 11:20 PM
bob D

best concert I have been too !! a American legend,,Icon,hero and a real person !!
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2014 at 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Quote:

Ditto. Songwriter, poet, philosopher, demigod, Zen master, embodiment of Truth... his music SUX. Never could stand his wailing or get through to the 'Universal Truth' everyone was pretending to subscribe to. Had to blast Kris Kristopherson to get ol' Bobby Zimmerman outa my head. Gimme a soft, soothing 'Voodoo Chile (slight return) from Jimi any day *grin*.

All seriousness aside, CADA LOCO CON SU TEMA. Whatever it took to 'Get You Through The Night' as first Willie and then the Beatles sang about. Hell, I remember you were either a Beta or a Surfer or a Greaser, and Z was still using the beatnik electric folk genre. Never could even play a decent harp. I know someone who swears Jim Morrison was (and still may be) the Second Coming..... and HE SUX TOO....

Dylan never ascribed to the illusions you accuse him of...you are speaking of the gibberish that fans and critics heaped upon him. He never saw himself as a leader of anything...he just wrote songs and I get it if you don't like his voice...but no one will ever touch him as to great songwriting...no one...he has well over a hundred songs that will stand the test of time and will be sung around campfires in Baja long after we are gone. Hank has many, Kristofferson has a few, Willie a few...Beatles many... but no one comes close as to the quantity and the quality.

It is all about the songs...
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 03:19 AM

Well sed, Red. I totally agree with your obvious love of his songwriting. I never 'accused' HIM of anything though; ..."the 'Universal Truth' everyone was pretending to subscribe to." The illusions aren't his. Reminds me of Sir Charles Barkley, who once said on national TV "I ain't no mu-fuggin' role model".... but Sir Charles, you don't have a choice now; a few thousand young fans would disagree. You're dead-on about the "gibberish that fans and critics heaped upon him". We all know where the base-root of the word 'FAN' comes from, too.

Even Jimi held Zimi as an idol and mentor; he set his guitar on fire after finishing with "Like A Rolling Stone" at the '67 Monterey Pop Festival, and recorded a few more of his works too.... just played 'em different is all. I've played a few of his songs around many a campfire from Baja to The Nam and back again, and you'd probably think my style sux too, your choice. I give him all the writing kudos in the world; respect given where due. Same for all the unsung writers like Kristofferson; he's a Rhoades Scholar graduate from Oxford in English Lit and Poetry. But dang, his style is..... unique.... as we all are, and our tastes too.

It IS all about the songs.... and the taste of the listeners who buy those songs, and those who prefer not to. Cada loco con su tema, amigo. Don't worry, be happy (Bobby McFerrin is pretty sharp too). The times (they are a changin') we were in covers a wide swath too; we all needed a 'face' to put on to identify with. I never did Dylan, couldn't and still can't get into the Dead, never wore granny glasses. Can't take Neil Young for the same reason; also a good poet.

Sit back, enjoy your cd.... or cassettes.. or 8-track... or vinyl.... and that's why they invented earphones. :spingrin:

86 - 45*

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Quote:

Dylan never ascribed to the illusions you accuse him of...you are speaking of the gibberish that fans and critics heaped upon him. He never saw himself as a leader of anything...he just wrote songs and I get it if you don't like his voice...but no one will ever touch him as to great songwriting...no one...he has well over a hundred songs that will stand the test of time and will be sung around campfires in Baja long after we are gone. Hank has many, Kristofferson has a few, Willie a few...Beatles many... but no one comes close as to the quantity and the quality.

It is all about the songs...

Before his suicide Phil Ochs was outproducing Dylan in quantity, quality was a subjective thing.

Dylan at one time said he does not know how Phil does it, he was turning out twice the volume. They liked each other and respected the others work too, as I do. Both Dylan and Ochs are among my favorites.

If you have not heard it, try Och's "The Highwayman". He described it as an English poem that was crying to be set to music.

Joan Baez early work was very impressive also and her voice, of course, distinct. She finally decided to quit singing, (she is in her early seventies now, lives in Woodside with her Mom who has got to be 100) her voice for the last twenty years has been deteriorating even with all the coaching.

Another real favorite of mine? Leonard Cohen. He must be in his early 80's and toured a couple of years ago. Beautiful. His work is supreme and sublime, no-one has ever come close to the kind of poetry he sings.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 10:25 AM

Wow, such expertise, I'm impressed with the intelligence! Thanks for sharing your knowledge.:wow:
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 11:26 AM

Robert Zimmerman AKA Bob Dylan stole his whole act from Ramblin' Jack Elliott when little Bob first hit Greenwich Village in the early 60's.

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Wow, such expertise, I'm impressed with the intelligence! Thanks for sharing your knowledge.:wow:

Beware of brilliance without quotation marks.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 12:34 PM

speaking of the broad genres of country and folk music,....
if you were sentenced to spend an hour at sharkeys drinking with the local lushes, would you rather listen to norteno, bob dylan or taylor swift on the juke box?
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by greengoes
Robert Zimmerman AKA Bob Dylan stole his whole act from Ramblin' Jack Elliott when little Bob first hit Greenwich Village in the early 60's.

Dittos

and both from Woody ... :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 10-9-2014 by wessongroup]

bajaspuds
Junior Nomad

Mood: dum spiro, spero

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 04:34 PM

... Bob is so universal

... dripping w/ chubasco sauce
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
speaking of the broad genres of country and folk music,....
if you were sentenced to spend an hour at sharkeys drinking with the local lushes, would you rather listen to norteno, bob dylan or taylor swift on the juke box?

Juke boxes are for the proletariat. Sharky's has live music.

What's your choice of music while dining at the local landfill?

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 05:19 PM

As a huge Phil Ochs fan back in the day my guess is that he was not out producing anyone as he approached his suicide...he was a mess. His early career was extremely prolific.

As to ripping off Ramblin Jack and Woody I can only go back to the quote I have always heard attributed to Stravinsky: A lesser artist borrows, a genius steals!". To say Dylan was nothing but a thief is as silly as saying the same about Mozart and Haydn...or Schubert and Beethoven (Schubert idolized Beethoven and you can hear it over and over)...

The four albums "Another Side of Bob Dylan", "Bringing It All Back Home", "Highway 61 Revisited", and "Blonde On Blonde" in the space of couple of years represents the greatest outpouring of genius the pop/folk/rock world has ever seen/heard. Or to quote Phil Ochs after hearing Highway 61 for the first time "it is impossibly good".

...and even if he DID rip off his earlier heroes, he tore them all down and set their houses on fire by going electric...he was hated for that and yet it proved to be one of the defining moments in rock history

ok...enough...now I'm getting defensive

rock on everyone and listen to whatever ya want!!! :tumble::tumble::tumble:
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.