BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Desert Hawks Rescue Group fire engine and new image...
DocRey
Nomad

Mood: Cautiously Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 05:27 PM

O.k. What is your San Diego address? It may avoid me having to deal with Aduana at the border...?
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 05:54 PM

My local fire department is planning on 'surplusing out' one of their Ambulance/Medic units later this year. One of the box van style units I believe. They are very open to having it go to Desert Hawks. No charge but I would have to get it to El Rosario from Washington State, about 1600 miles!

This may not happen in time to meet the immediate needs but I will stay on top of it. I am heading to Mulege with an estimated arrival of early November so I will not be driving it down this trip.

Also, the terms of transfer of ownership do not preclude selling it nearer to home in Washington State with the funds going to Desert Hawks.

All very speculative at this time.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 05:57 PM

I'm sure there are many people who would drive it down, even is stages!

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 06:07 PM

True. I was thinking of a little adventure where I put my smallish street bike in the back and used the bike to get back up here.

I will be talking to the chief tomorrow and get some details about the rig and the time frame.

Also he is starting a box for me with all of the non-schedule 1 and 2 drugs that get removed from the medics boxes periodically and normally thrown out. They have a shelf life of years but because of regulations they are renewed every six months or so here. Also he is setting aside any used cervical collars and the like.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 06:35 PM

Gulliver, what a good thing you are doing! Good on you. If I can help ask, even for some gas money or such.

[Edited on 10-16-2014 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 06:47 PM

Gulliver,

If this happens I would like to help out. Let us know if it gets approved. I can donate some gas $$$.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 06:54 PM

Gulliver, you MUST be aware that Paramedics are the only first responders able to administer drugs! EMT's can only monitor what drugs have been given prior to transport. "IF" Desert Hawks are trained medics then flood them with stuff otherwise, please be careful!

someone told me once that the road to hell was paved with good intentions.

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 07:05 PM

I'll be researching the drug issue with the personnel at both ends. Thanks for the reminder.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 07:07 PM
I'm in

For the ambulance adventure.....$$$ or driving.

If you can get it SOB, I can take it to San Quintin

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 10-15-2014 at 11:49 PM
Ambulance and donations...

Wow!!!... I am totally impressed and overwhelmed by all of you guys!!!... suddenly being down here in the middle of Baja does not feel so lonely... you all coming together for a common goal encourage me so much, I mean, seeing your willingness to help, How can I not give my best effort?... Wow!!!

DocRey... yes, the customs at the Mexican border are a real problem when crossing stuff, they always want their "cut". However, we do have contacts and friends there and are able to cross almost everything with little or no hassle, so yes it may be easier for you to either drop or ship any donations. We could also meet or pick them up someplace. I am sending you Andy Schouten's contact info via U2U so you may coordinate with him directly (Andy is the founder of Commitment, Inc, our non-profit organization in the US).

Gulliver... those are amazing and wonderful news!!!... Thank you. The distance is no problem, Andy and I would be willing to fly up there or someplace in between to drive the ambulance down here, with the help of BajaNomads will be even easier. It could even be advantageous, you see, we have approached a non-profit organization called "Firefighters Crossing Borders". They have embraced our project and through their representatives in San Diego have been trying to guide us. They are the ones coming to train us to El Rosario in a few weeks. They have a bunch of tools, equipment and turnouts ready for the Desert Hawks... the problem is that they are based in Washington State. So, if we coordinate things correctly we could bring those along. The end of the year is in a couple of months, so timing is also not an issue, that is actually pretty soon.

If only one life is saved by that ambulance, the driving time and everyone's effort will be more than worth it. Besides, I was looking at pictures of Lopez Island, WA... and wow!!!... You and BajaMedic (Weaverville, CA) have the best spots in the States... I think I am in the wrong town... I have to see those places in person... jejejeje.

Also, if needed we could provide a letter with a tax deductible receipt for any donations, including the ambulance, thru our non-profit organization "Commitment, Inc", which is register in the States as a 501(c)(3).

Regarding medication, Woody is right, EMT's are not allowed nor trained to prescribe medication (we do know how to administer them though), also medications are not allowed through customs, not even through our contacts. We have some in our ambulance but we can only administer them if our medical director authorizes our EMT's via cellular (soon via 2 meter radio also), and only if it is absolutely necessary to save the patient's life. Oh, perhaps I have not told you, Desert Hawks has a doctor as a part of our team, he acts as a medical director and oversees and supervises our volunteers medical operations. He usually stays in town but is always ready to coordinate and help if needed.

Thank you for being a part of our efforts... Together we can save lives!!!

Antonio Munoz
Desert Hawks Rescue Group
Non-Profit Organization

[Edited on 10-16-2014 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2014 at 03:53 PM

I sat down and talked with the fire chief today and looked over the possible ambulance. It looks great. A few cosmetic dings. A 1994 Road Rescue on a Ford F350 chassis. Diesel engine. About 28K miles. I'll figure out how to attach a couple of pictures later but it is your basic box shaped fire and EMT vehicle you see going down the road every day.

Its replacement was originally scheduled to arrive here by the end of the year but there have been delays. And when the new one arrives some equipment will have to be transferred and such things. This this whole thing might not happen until early Spring.

The chief is going to start the process of getting his bosses on line with this. There will be much conferring with the Firefighters Crossing the Border people for expertise and help with crossing the border.

So typical of such things, it will be like mating elephants. Much screaming in high places and then nothing much happens for a while.

I will transfer the small time details to U2U and direct email with Antonio for now. I'll post any significant developments on here for sure. Much thanks to all for the encouragement and offers of help. You may get taken up on them.

Now to get myself to Mulege without needing Antonio's services!! The last trip South I almost got it from some goon down around Tres Virgines. 40 years of motorcycle racing and I have never has such a close call.

Mike Colyar
Lopez Island, WA
Oasis 511 in Mulege.
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 03:38 PM
Ambulance...

Gulliver... thank you for taking the time for this. Do not worry about timing, just knowing we have friends out there looking to help us is very encouraging. Whenever and if it happens it will be great!!!

Regarding crossing any vehicle donated through the Mexican border that is no problem for us. With the proper documents and information, we have the resources and connections to bring them legally and with little hassle into Mexico. We would need to pay import fee duties, but we will figure out how to overcome that when the time comes.

Thank you again and we will be looking forward to meeting you in your next trip to Baja.

Antonio Muņoz

BajaCactus
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2014 at 04:00 PM

Good Job Gulliver. You need any help...give a shout.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2014 at 05:41 PM

Another rescue today. GOOD JOB!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2014 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Another rescue today. GOOD JOB!

Yeah, saw it on FB. Great job Desert Hawks!

BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2014 at 08:32 PM

Yes. The Flying Samaritans were doing their monthly clinic in El Rosario when suddenly a female patient waiting to be attended collapsed.

Our volunteers immediately responded and found her with very low pulse and respiration problems. Glucose was within normal parameters. There was no doctor at the local Health Clinic (this is common) so they took her to the local IMSS clinic in the hopes they could help since this lady does not have IMSS coverage. They quickly checked her and told us to rush to the nearest hospital. That is about 70 miles north.

On their way the patient began to get into cardiac arrest but our volunteers were able to stabilize her and 50 minutes later she was safely delivered to the emergency room at the hospital in Col. Vicente Guerrero.

Our volunteers went out to this emergency around 1:00pm and came back to El Rosario at 5:00pm, 4 hours later. This was a "quick" service since the emergency originated in town.

BajaCactus
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.