Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Photobucket has become worriesome
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:30 PM

IF you don't want pics to vanish then don't move your photos after posting any on Nomad... Just leave the old ones alone and reload again in any new place you you want to store the pics.

Photos are links... and when you move the photo, you get a new link, and the old one is dead.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:35 PM

I give up. Take him away, someone....

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:37 PM

photobucket is a dinosaur. move your photos to dropbox, google or flickr.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 12:39 PM

My posts are for all Nomads, I was just offering a solution for what you experienced Roger.

I know you try hard to show great pics and you do great at it... some of the best trip reports ever. Sorry you had to do so much twice!

There are warnings on Photobucket that moving a photo to a different album will end it on the old location.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 03:03 PM

Roger.

Move to Flickr.com.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Roger.

Move to Flickr.com.

Thanks for the suggestion, Igor. I've mastered Photobucket plus ImageShack quite well nowadays, but can and will certainly give Flickr.com a good try.

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I give up. Take him away, someone....

Several threads about that option....it's as obnoxious as the Photobucket popups....

When Photobucket went into their pay for service mode, it became a very difficult and unwieldy site. I've played with a few other sites with great success. Currently I use Flickr and the Google site which works with my Android phone. It's a little bit too convenient, kinda like Photobucket used to be. When I take photos with my phone it automatically uploads them. I have locked it down so that it won't be accessible to the 'public' but I think nothing digitized on the interwebs is truly safe.

As Ged mentioned, if I was going to pay for a service, it would be SmugMug. I know there's a higher level of security and the money goes to a good purpose.

I still have some of my photos on the bucket site but haven't added new material and I'm sure I won't......YMMV of course.....

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 07:05 PM

well, I recently had so many pop ups on Nomads that I thought t he site was the problem. I could not read posts. I could not post anything-made me crazy.

so, there is a kid in town who figured out the problem and boy am I happy.

total cost? dare I tell? 100 pesos. I tell you, our kids are gonna run the world via computer.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2014 at 07:12 PM

Blanca, that local boy sounds like another Bill Gates. Keep track of him as his rates increase!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 01:13 AM

Following the suggestions of several nomads I downloaded MalwareBytes and ran it on my computer. It found 76 infected objects which were quaranteend and removed. I then restarted the computer and brought up firefox and the ads were still there.

I noticed a GoSave ad always appearing on all bajanomad pages below the standard ads that we've grown accustomed to. I then went to Add/Remove programs and found it there under ggsav and removed. I then examined all of the programs on my machine and found 4 more adware virus programs. These were deleted as well.

Then I reset firefox and so far so good.

Oh, I reran Malwarebytes several times thinking it would pick up these viruses on repeated scans but they always came up clean.

So my guess is that I didn't clean the system completely because the registry data for these pgms are still there but hopefully nothing can ran without the software that was removed.

The improvement in browser performance is amazing. Before these modifications you could see adware websites being continuously accessed whenever you did anything. So all my clicks on the computer had to wait for the transfer of unwanted data from all of these sites. Computer usage suffered from a network bottleneck.

Despite all of this there is still an amazing number of adds on photobucket that are 'legitimate' (intended).

So back to the original question - there are a lot more ads in photobucket than before and if you have malware it gets worse.
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Adblock my friend. Use it and profit.

Un-freaking-believable! I just installed Adblock Plus and it is amazing! Popups are gone! Go to Adblock website and click on the browser version you are using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc) Download takes less than 10 seconds. Although the program is free, I am sending the developer (Vladimir) some money to encourage him to stay a step ahead of the (b)ad guys.

Now how do I get Vladimir to develop a program to block all the telemarketing calls I am getting on my landline (the (b)ad guys are ignoring the "Do Not Call" list).
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-29-2014 at 07:49 AM

One last tip to get rid of the advertising is to go to your browser options and disable Java. When a web site comes along that has a video you want to watch, you can enable it for just that session or for just that website. All the browsers will occasionally ask if you want to continue to block Java but it's not nearly as bad as the advertising and popups.

Edit: Disable Flash also....those ads can not run without the programing.

Another tip is to run AntiMalwareBytes several times without any other programs running. If you've been hit hard by those types of programs, it will take a few runs to clean your computer. Anything you recognize and remove yourself you get bonus points......:P

[Edited on 10-29-2014 by Sweetwater]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.