Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: arrested today
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 08:27 PM

I'm sure not a sole down there right now for the 1000 has a knife in their pocket of car kit- Right?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 08:38 PM

Why does one need to carry a knife?

joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 08:52 PM

I eat tomates most days, also like onions, I used it for food.
what is the recomended way to prepare food that needs to be cut up.

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 09:02 PM

Joerover-
Can you give us some details on how this came to be? Start to finish? Thx
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 09:20 PM

in the usa an officer has the right to pat you down for weapons, for his own safety. when an officerīs hand enters your pocket, you are legaly under arrest. That is the letter of the law, in the usa.

this is Tiajuana

He showed a great deal of interest in car keys, I had none.

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali
When the officer stopped you, what did he give as a reason for that stop and how did it go down that he goes into your pocket to find the knife?

no reason was given, note I donīt drink or smoke.

Or:
Did you submit to a search of your person?
Did that officer ask you if you had any weapons on your person?
If so, did you retrieve that knife out of your pocket and show him?

no
no
and no

"You, hey you".....your referring to how that officer got your attention?
What was the substance of that initial conversation?
How did it get around to finding your knife?

He said I want to talk to you
I said I dont want to talk to you
he unzipped his plain jacket to show his police shirt with badge.
no questions and answers, refused to show me his ID. I thought I was being robed by the policia falso. (has happened before), their guns and belts looked real. I was wanting to jump out and flag down a passing patrol car. This is why Mexican people carry money in their shoe. They did not find my $1oo bill.

The search had an ulterior motive. Make a guess...
theft
revenge for gettin deported
brother in law owns the chop shop
credit card fraud
perhaps he just dont like gringos

I am sober and have no visable signs of wealth
legitimate police find no interest in me

I am sure a lot of us carry a knife for one reason or other.
Mine is a Spyderco lock blade of 2.75" and goes everywhere I go, in my back pocket.

Most of the time I bring a small cook kit
pan
knife
fork
alcohol stove
large bag of coffee
or an electric hot plate for a longer stay

this time I brought a small, less than 2 inch blade, folding knife. So, first time I had one in my pocket

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by DaliDali]

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by joerover]

[Edited on 11-10-2014 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
Joerover-
Can you give us some details on how this came to be? Start to finish? Thx

sounds like a books worth of typing

why did the falsify the size of the blade to more than 3 fingers wide

the fat lady is breeding
which means
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 09:58 PM

Somebody set me straight on this "knife law" biz.. If you get stopped on the highway (fed soldiers townie police etc) will they consider kitchen knives (Chefs, paring,boning etc) in your cabover camper a violation and nail you on a technicality?? Hope this aint gonna end up a "cause they can" scene. :o(
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2014 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by joerover

I eat tomates most days, also like onions, I used it for food.
what is the recomended way to prepare food that needs to be cut up.

I normally go into the kitchen, grab a knife and cutting board, and slice the food:?:

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 12:11 AM

Hmmm.

troll.jpg - 9kB

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 12:26 AM

It seems that having a knife "on your person" is the issue...having it stowed in the vehicle or luggage may be the difference.

Don't use kitchen knife while walking down the street...:light:

Don't believe everything you think....
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 09:13 AM

Maybe someone uses a knife to cut fish? It smells fishy around here.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Geez....I have a Leatherman Wave tool in my backpack or in my toolbelt when on the moto. I hope this means it is "not on my person"....but now am not sure.

One time a military jefe at a highway checkpoint eyed it longingly when he saw it in my tank bag....and passed me on.

Note to self: Don't have knife in pocket....

Holy chite....I carried a 12" Bowie in my tool kit stored in my luggage my first moto trip up and down Baja.....opened that luggage multiple times at checkpoints, nobody said a word and the handle was always in view....it is one of those "survivor" knives that have a compass, fishing line, flint in the handle....its almost a necessity for backcountry riding.....

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 09:34 AM

sounds like this cop was either PRO WOODY or ANTI-BICYCLIST! :rolleyes:
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 09:50 AM

To me, it was a shakedown, plain and simple. Actually, I dont even think it was a real cop.

Stunning that people would question his motives for carrying a 2 inch blade around. Like it indicates a flawed character, or something.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
To me, it was a shakedown, plain and simple. Actually, I dont even think it was a real cop.

Stunning that people would question his motives for carrying a 2 inch blade around. Like it indicates a flawed character, or something.

think a fake cop would have taken him to the jailhouse???
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sweetwater

...Holy chite....I carried a 12" Bowie ....its almost a necessity for backcountry riding.....

Really????? I have been riding wilderness backcountry for 40 years and never needed any of those things.....and have survived. When riding and lost, retrace your steps/tracks....buy several Bic lighters....and a 3-4 inch blade works well enough for camp duties (except digging the foxholes and latrine :biggrin: ).

Don't believe everything you think....
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 02:07 PM

I still think we are missing many facts here in this story, and so until I hear all the facts, I'm going to remain unconvinced the story went down as the OP said, although I think something happen.

First of all it's illegal to carry a knife in Mexico, especially Tijuana. It doesn't really matter the size of the knife, because any knife to the throat of a possible mugging victim, is a very effective weapon, and that's probably why Mexican has that law in place.

So the OP broke the law, and really any traveler to Mexico, should know, guns and knives are not permitted.

The only exception to the knife law, according to the "Codigo" the penal code of Baja, is if you have a legitimate use for the knife, for example, you used the knife as part of your job, if you're a cook, or even a fisherman who has the knife in his tackle box.

If I'm a TJ cop, I'm not sure if I'm going to buy the excuse that somebody needs the knife to cut tomatoes.

There is nothing about the length of the knife in the " Codigo" that makes the knife illegal after a certain length, and the TJ police probably just came up with a defacto standard of a couple of inches, or if it's a corrupt cop, the knife is illegal whatever size your knife happens to be.

Regarding the stop if its' legal or not. The Mexican Constitution has many protections, just like the US Constitution, and just like the police in the states get around those protections in the US, by using 'reasonable suspicion" rules, especially to minorities. The Mexican cops, pretty much get away with stopping anybody they want, and they often make random stops in Tijuana's more seedy areas, but outside those bad areas, the TJ cops will usually leave you alone.

Now what has me perplexed by the story, is the OP says he was stopped by a TJ cop, over a minor incident of a small pocket knife. TJ cops usually have better things to do, than arrest American tourists with small pocket knives, unless of course he was looking for a bribe.

So why didn't the TJ cop hint at a bribe, and better yet, why didn't the OP say something like, " isn't there a better way we could handle this faster, than a trip to the jail? if it was a corrupt TJ cop, $20 or $40 dollars would have made him go away.

But instead the looks to be honest TJ cop took him to jail, put him in jail, and he paid a fine with no discussion, and he paid the fine to the jailer. I wonder if he got a receipt?

What's also unusual about this incident, is that in Tijuana, there are judges available 24/7, and before you're dumped in a jail cell, the TJ cop will take you before a judge, and most of the time you could settle the fine right there, or the judge will order you to prison.

Now the Mexican Constitution says they could hold you for 48 hours, before charging you with a crime, so I just if they wanted, they could throw you in a jail cell. However, the practice is to take you before a judge, although there have been exceptions.

Finally, what's the OP going to do about it? Is he going to just going complain about the incident on some travel board, like so many people do, which BTW many of those reports are made up according to Captain Obvious on the 'Hotel.com" commercials.

IS the OP going to make an official complaint to the " .Sindicatura" office, which is the equivalent to Tijuana's internal affairs department. Although from the OP's post he seems to be confused if he was a victim to a shake down or not, and really that's a question only he could answer, because he leaves so many facts out.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 02:22 PM

Given all that he has written about the incident, what will it take for Your Excellency to determine that you have "heard all the facts"?

How about you do your own investigation from the Mexican police/judicial side of things, if you want more than the OP gave. He's given an incredible amount of detail, already.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoeJustJoe[

Giving a complete time line of all the events, will help insure your story is believable to all members of this forum.

The OP doesn't owe you an explanation, read his post, believe
it or don't believe it. Since when do posts here require a time
stamp, recorded conservation and be notarized? I have no reason to doubt his story
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2014 at 03:17 PM

Basically, in so very many words, Joe is calling him a liar.

And that we should believe that TJ cops and judges should be trusted instead of the victim. :rolleyes:

Roll Team Tijuana, Roll !!!!!
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.