Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Great photos. Looks like a fabulous trip. Perhaps the only thing I might have done differently would be to take a flight to Oakland. That bus ride from SB to Oakland must have taken at least five hours,

We left SB at 11:30 and arrived in Emeryville about 6... The bus stopped at several towns along the way. It was an Amtrak bus service for the train people.

It would have been better if somehow a train from Santa Barbara could be used to get to Emeryville instead. Both bus trips are parallel to train lines, I guess they just didn't run passenger trains when we needed them to?

I have not kept up on railroad conditions, but I seem to recall that the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle was a continuous run and went through Oakland.

So did you go through Royal Gorge? Years ago, we not only drove over the bridge, but took the funicular down to the river.

The coast starlight arrives in emeryville at night and would require an overnight to then take the zephyr which departs in the morning. The train/bus combo offers a connection without an overnight. : ^ )

sbwontoo
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 08:02 AM

Thanks fandango.
Bajahowodd, I didn't hear anyone call out "Royal Gorge", so I do not know where that is.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 08:56 AM

Nice photos and thx for posting this. So what were your thoughts when you were traveling and comparing your train trip to past trips in Baja? Did you think this trip was "better" than going to Baja or "not as good" or???

And what was your feeling as far as feeling "safety and security"? Just curious of your thoughts since you have traveled many years in Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Nice photos and thx for posting this. So what were your thoughts when you were traveling and comparing your train trip to past trips in Baja? Did you think this trip was "better" than going to Baja or "not as good" or???

And what was your feeling as far as feeling "safety and security"? Just curious of your thoughts since you have traveled many years in Baja.

Totally different and no comparison to a Baja vacation... Which is why this Amtrak trip was chosen.

Baja Angel is always so positive and willing to go to Baja (well she loves it there, too), that I wanted to go outside the envelope for this vacation.

We have traveled in the USA before, and I have shared those trips here, as well: Carlsbad Caverns, Meteor Crater/ Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Lake Tahoe, etc.

A Baja trip for us is total relaxation and fun... we love Shell Island for the solitude, the beach, sea shells, and bathtub warm water (June-Oct) and we love other areas of Baja as well: Bahia Concepcion, Loreto, La Paz, Bahia Asuncion, Mission Santa Maria, Mission San Borja, etc, etc. They all offer special features that attract us to go back... be it the people, the history, the beauty, the off roading, whatever.

An American vacation gives us a look at the very beautiful and interesting sites we have in our own country, and there are many indeed. The difference is relaxation is not the same... we use motels and there is lots of driving. We do love to travel and see new things, so we accept the 'stress' of driving and finding motels in order to see the sites. We are both easy going and not fussy and don't let a bad meal or a bad motel ruin our vacation. Life is too short to fuss over these things.

I always feel safer camping in Baja... but we do not camp in the U.S., at least not so far. I used to with my kids... camped in Anza Borrego Desert State Park or the Ocotillo Wells Off Road Park.

So, the train trip is just a different experience from our other vacations. We would do it again, but try and avoid any long distance bus trips, that was the 'ugly' part of the trip. If we went back to Denver, we would like to tour the U.S. Mint and maybe the Coors Brewery, otherwise we would probably just stick to the mountains and enjoy more of Glenwood Springs... we really liked that place!

NOV 2007:

MAR 2008:

MAY 2012:

JUNE 2013:

[Edited on 11-14-2014 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29644591

That was a great read! Very informative.... thanks for posting the link.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-14-2014 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Great photos. Looks like a fabulous trip. Perhaps the only thing I might have done differently would be to take a flight to Oakland. That bus ride from SB to Oakland must have taken at least five hours,

We left SB at 11:30 and arrived in Emeryville about 6... The bus stopped at several towns along the way. It was an Amtrak bus service for the train people.

I guess my post was more about why there are not other trains that one can take that will allow you to ride the train all the way.

A few years ago, we went from Union Station in LA to Albuquerque. No Bus. Then, we rented a car and drove up to Santa Fe and Taos, Driven there many times, just wanted to see what the train ride would be like.

That also brings up a point about, if I remember correctly. David had to take a bus from Denver to Raton, NM. That's a long bus ride too.

And, as an aside, raton means rat. Just like Corpus Christi means, you know. I find it humorous that Americans are comfortable with the uncomfortable foreign names.

It would have been better if somehow a train from Santa Barbara could be used to get to Emeryville instead. Both bus trips are parallel to train lines, I guess they just didn't run passenger trains when we needed them to?

I have not kept up on railroad conditions, but I seem to recall that the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle was a continuous run and went through Oakland.

So did you go through Royal Gorge? Years ago, we not only drove over the bridge, but took the funicular down to the river.

The coast starlight arrives in emeryville at night and would require an overnight to then take the zephyr which departs in the morning. The train/bus combo offers a connection without an overnight. : ^ )
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-16-2014 at 12:03 PM

Wow DK great trip and report. Beautiful country for sure.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-17-2014 at 09:33 AM

looked fun. Last time I looked at an amtrack vaca the tickets were really high. Wanted to go from phx to KC mo. For 2 it was way more than air. If you don't mind - how much were your fares? did you have the good sleeper? how much were drinks on the bar car? From PHX you have to DRIVE to Flagstaff then get on the train at o dark thirty. Not fun.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
looked fun. Last time I looked at an amtrack vaca the tickets were really high. Wanted to go from phx to KC mo. For 2 it was way more than air. If you don't mind - how much were your fares? did you have the good sleeper? how much were drinks on the bar car? From PHX you have to DRIVE to Flagstaff then get on the train at o dark thirty. Not fun.

Hi Mike,
Well, you only live once and taking a long train ride was on my bucket list (after-all, I have already been a passenger on your Screaming Airlines)!

It was an Amtrak vacation package, so I don't know how much the train ride part was without our 4 nights in Colorado hotels and the two tours that were included. You can email or call my friend Tim the travel agent at his FOUR WINDS WORLD TRAVEL in Carlsbad, CA and tell him I sent you for a good deal!

There are rooms with regular bed and toilet and shower and there are roomettes with upper and lower single beds. Basically two big seats that face each other with a fold down table between that turn into the lower bed, and an upper fold down bed... like those on a fishing boat... comfortable if you aren't too big. A net goes in place, so you don't roll out...

The snack car had drinks, food, etc. and was not overly pricey. I think our beers were $4... I am not sure, we were on vacation and not being picky over a buck or two. We had brought a bottle of vodka with us and some Squirt, and was able to get some ice no problem. This was suggested by our travel agent, that you can bring your own wine or liquor into your room and enjoy yourselves. The three meals each day were good and included for those with a room or roomette. If you rode coach, then the meals were in the $15-$27 price range. Steak, Chicken, Turkey meatballs on noodles, salad, deserts (great cheese cake). Only extra charge would be for alcoholic drinks.

Dinner was by reservation (in groups every 45 minutes) and rooms/ roomettes had priority seating for dinner over coach passengers. Breakfast and lunch was open seating, but there was never a problem... they had at least four seatings announced each day for those meals.

[Edited on 11-18-2014 by David K]

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 08:40 AM

thanks DK, I agree if on vaca don't pick over costs. We want to do the Danube from Passau Bavaria to Budapest on Viking river cruises 8 days. Prices are 2 for 1 until Dec 17th if you book and the schedule can go into next april. Yes life is too short - do things!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2014 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
thanks DK, I agree if on vaca don't pick over costs. We want to do the Danube from Passau Bavaria to Budapest on Viking river cruises 8 days. Prices are 2 for 1 until Dec 17th if you book and the schedule can go into next april. Yes life is too short - do things!

That sounds relaxing and must be a beautiful sight to sail on the Danube!

Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 11:47 AM

Wow David! Really awesome pictures and what an adventure! My wife is all bajad out. No more Bola, not even Rosarito lol~ sad for me. I still have a love for my Baja. Maybe things will change in the future.Thanks for sharing :)

READY SET.....................
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2014 at 02:50 PM

It's good to mix it up Von!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.