Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: I'm done with Baja
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
soooo......you're saying baja isn't the glorious utopia the nutty sprinkler pipe guy claims?:lol: but seriously, aside from a few things, uncrowded surfing, fishing, low rent, im sure theres a few more, I can see saying to heck with it and going norte. this is assuming you don't require the perks we enjoy here.:yes:

Nutty? :lol::lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 10:05 AM

Oh, so crunchy too?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 10:24 AM

Someone mentioned age, definitely different now, does take
a bit more mental preparation to go SOB, than back in the
day. The place never did attract a large segment of the tourist
population rather a small percentage of folks that can deal with
it's quirks, and at times a feeling of vulnerability. I can understand the point of diminished returns

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by sancho]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 10:55 AM
Hola bob H & all

Yes for me and many others Baja Has lost some of its charm...BUT not all of it..there is still 1 or 2 fish left,,many sunny days,, some great folks and sunsets.....its not over till the fat lady sings....(or something like that):cool:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 11:14 AM
BTW

the only reason that there is cartels is the USA STUPID "war on drugs" the CIA stands for "cocaine avation internatinol" the US gov dosnt care if you do drugs.......only whose drugs your buying....I saw big marine C130's being loaded with coke in South niky myself.........Oppps...the guys in black just pulled up !!!:o

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by captkw]
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Someone mentioned age, definitely different now, does take
a bit more mental preparation to go SOB, than back in the
day. The place never did attract a large segment of the tourist
population rather a small percentage of folks that can deal with
it's quirks, and at times a feeling of vulnerability. I can understand the point of diminished returns

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by sancho]

I'm the opposite. I used to worry about the availability of gasoline, breaking down with no one around, finding atms that worked, bad highways, etc.

Today, my preparation is much different than days in the past. Baja is much more civilized and modern. Yes, there are problems but one can find those regardless of where they travel.

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by Bajaboy]

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 11:32 AM

Always enjoyed my time in Baja. No bad experiences. The fishing was a disappointment, but heck, have some no luck days here on the bayou. Probably won't ever be back to Baja. Major commitments to other people and places make it an unlikely prospect.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 01:45 PM

Oh it looks like I offended a few Nomads.

Let me make amends.

Bob, don't leave!

Please stay, Baja will get better. I promise.

If somebody wants to leave the city or country they're living in, let them leave. The same thing with their job. That's their right, and I personally don't want to hear them whine about it. It's it that bad, leave, and perhaps the grass is greener on the other side. Go for it.

In fact I'm amazed, anybody ever leaves Baja. What usually happens, they can't sell their property without taking a huge lost, and they just stay and complain about Mexico and Baja, as if, it's all Mexico's fault their not happy.

Then there are those who who complain endlessly about Mexico, and can leave, but for some reason they stay around, and treat their living in Mexico, like a bad marriage.

The thing what I really detest about these kinds of threads, is it brings out the Mexico/Baja bashers like Dennis' post below. Sure it's bad in certain areas of Mexico, but it probably has nothing to do with your unhappiness in life.

Dennis wrote :Perhaps we're allowing philosophy to cloud a sad reality. Mexico, Baja included, is going through an upheaval. Heinous crimes committed by the government in collusion with organized crime are all over today's headlines. Even La Paz, the city of peace, has turned into a killing zone. These things can't be easily ignored as it's impossible to know how, when or where [even if] it will come to an end. I have a feeling this may be going through Bob's mind at the time, and quite frankly, if I weren't so heavily invested here, I would be sharing his sentiments. Sad, but true.

[Edited on 11-13-2014 by JoeJustJoe]
BajaB

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 01:46 PM

I have been traveling to Baja for at least 15 years. We currently live near Santa Rosalia and things seem different than they did way back in the early days. Some of it is awareness and some is actual change. I used to just fly down and rent a jeep and camp on almost any beach and never had a problem. I did things that would seem crazy now. My wife and I have spent much time inside Cereso Santa Rosalia working with the men in the prison. I have spent hours hearing their stories and I will tell you that you can't be to cautious even in Baja Sur. There is a moral line that often is missing in Mexico with all the killings, etc. Much of this has to be with drugs and addiction but caution is wisdom.
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 01:47 PM

"Once the dust of Mexico settles on your heart...never will you rest in another land"
Describes my addiction to a tee. Have not been back in a couple of years but am planning a backcountry surf/fish escapade for February. Everyone should take the precautions seriously, mind your manners and use common sense. I've had my share of thefts (careless me) injuries (sting rays, cracked vertebrae) rig breakdowns, but keep going back cause o that ole dust on my heart ;o)
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 02:15 PM

I can certainly appreciate everyone makes their own choices that are right for them. But wow I feel safer in many parts of Baja then I do in my own neck of the woods here lately.

The area I live in up here in the PNW, we just started a facebook crime watch group because of burglaries, car theft etc..I lived out here 20 years ago and it was such a quaint place but not the case anymore due to drug addiction. The sad thing is most people do not even know what is going on in their own neighborhoods until they start talking with one another, which is the case here, we started this group and have found out a whole lot of stuff.

The point I'm trying to make here, if anyone thinks their own little towns here in the U.S. are absent of the problems the rest of the world is enduring, they are not paying attention, it's everywhere! Talk to your neighbors, and get the truth about what is going on all around you, you might be pretty blown away!

Drugs/addicts/cartels thus crime...is impacting all of us no matter where you live. It's a sad sad truth.

It's very true, Baja isn't what it use to be when I was kid traveling down here with my parents, but there isn't anywhere that is what it use to be! 2 people just got their car stolen from the grocery store I shop at, and another got theirs broken into and we had a home invasion due to a creep on heroin...and this isn't Chicago or Detroit, it's a sleepy bedroom town. But we sure aren't in Mayberry anymore that's for sure!

Just my 2 cents, while we hear a lot of things about crimes in Baja, it's happening in YOUR neighborhood too in the good ol' USA!

We can put things in tidy little boxes, oh the crime over there is just so bad, but take a look at the small radius around you and you might be surprised how close to home it is in your neck of the woods too!

I wish you well BobH, and don't want to minimize your post, just saying that we can't escape it by relocating!

P.S. for those who DO want to know what is going on in their U.S. neighborhoods, many police departments are on FB now and also the scanner feeds for your County, as well as many FB groups for your county for neighborhood crime watch are popping up all over FB these days!

but be warned, you might wish you didn't know LOL!

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 03:01 PM

Bob H.
I too left Baja Sur after 38 years.

Why! Because of all the Ugly americans and Canadians moving in and using their Money unwisley.
Lived at San Nicalos for 4 years fishe the Isla DelFonso for many years.
It is a great place to spend time if you can get qway from the Uglyies!!

I have been and stayed at many great places in the States such as Montana, Olimpia Pennisula, Sierras of Calif. Lake Texhoma of OPklahoma.

I chose to move back to my Home state of Texas 10 years ago, The Best place for and ole 84 year old Korean Vet and Shriner.

Air and water is clean, Peopleare Great, mostly Cowboys and the weather is good,

If you are looking for a place to go look into Ruidoso New Mexico. That is where I would go if I had to leave the Great Texas Panhandle.

Still active in Masonry, riding myMule in the Shriners parades, raising money for the childrens Hospitals etc,

Have a Good Life where ever you go.

Skeet/loreto
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 03:09 PM

Bob H just said he was done with Baja...I didnt see where he was off to seek Nirvana...I thnk we will see many people "done with Baja" when the insurance checks are passed out from the Odile damage..I am not done, but the things I mentioned earlier dampen the enthusiasm a bit...And I admit, traveling alone I am more apprehensive than in the past. The area in which I live in the US has/is changing..But I cant see what that has to do with Baja.....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 03:11 PM

Good seeing you Skeet!

I think Bob is just upset at the crap going on... but crap goes on here in the USA too. Baja has a charm and a magic that draws me back. I may take a time out from Baja, but I will never stop returning to the land I feel most at home in!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 03:19 PM

Hi Bob and good luck. Too bad we missed each other down Baja way.

FYI, I've already checked out Belize. While it's true the country has 23 different kind of snakes, only 9 can kill you.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Bob H.
I too left Baja Sur after 38 years.

Why! Because of all the Ugly americans and Canadians moving in and using their Money unwisley.
Lived at San Nicalos for 4 years fishe the Isla DelFonso for many years.
It is a great place to spend time if you can get qway from the Uglyies!!

I have been and stayed at many great places in the States such as Montana, Olimpia Pennisula, Sierras of Calif. Lake Texhoma of OPklahoma.

I chose to move back to my Home state of Texas 10 years ago, The Best place for and ole 84 year old Korean Vet and Shriner.

Air and water is clean, Peopleare Great, mostly Cowboys and the weather is good,

If you are looking for a place to go look into Ruidoso New Mexico. That is where I would go if I had to leave the Great Texas Panhandle.

Still active in Masonry, riding myMule in the Shriners parades, raising money for the childrens Hospitals etc,

Have a Good Life where ever you go.

Skeet/loreto
So the Americans and Canadians in Baja are "ugly" but you don't have any problem with the ones in the US and Canada? Do just "ugly" Americans come to Baja, or do Americans suddenly become "ugly" when they cross the border?

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 04:27 PM

I think Skeet and Captkw should have a spelling bee. Now that would be entertaining
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 05:06 PM

I can't blame ol' Skeet... after all, he is from Texas. I once had a Texan tell me, "You never have to ask a Texan where he's from, because if he's from Texas, he'll tell ya..... and if he ain't, IT DON'T MATTER". Real friendly types there, IF you're from Texas. Like Sen. Cruz, Rick Perry, oh and Dubya. And, he's right about Ruidoso, NM.... first thing you'll notice is over half the license plates are from Texas. Beautiful place though. "Why! Because of all the Ugly americans and Canadians moving in and using their Money unwisley." Yup, just like Ruidoso; ask any New Mexican. No offense meant, Skeet y'ol' skudder. Texanos are one of a kind.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 05:15 PM

I have had a couple of my friends leave Ruidoso, because of the ugly people moving in....

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2014 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I've seen what I wanted to see and experience in Baja. Things are just getting worse down there. I'm DONE with Baja!

There, I've said it!!

Bob H

I totally respect your thoughts and decision. I know that as much as we have loved our travels all over the mainland, there are certain areas we will not visit at this time.

While we very much enjoyed our time there and miss our good friends, we have no regrets having sold our place in Baja. Too much was changing there, and besides, there are so many great places to visit and explore.

Best of luck to you in new adventures. For us, new and different adventures are always a good thing.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.