Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Jamie Is Running
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Trying to "goat" me? LOL

To think that being on Hwy. 1 in the 19 ft. wide, shoulder-less sections is SAFE for people traveling on bikes or on foot is insane. It is not safe, I did not say it was wrong... that's up to the person who has no consideration for his fellow humans who must travel that highway (for whom it was built). The walkers or bike riders do not need to.

Don't forget about the wide RVs and trailers:light: I think they should be banned as well.

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by Bajaboy]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 09:27 AM

Except the highway was specifically built to promote economic development... and that includes RVs, trucks and trailers. The streams of RVs and Trucks far outweigh the rare bike riding tourist. Again, the RVs and Semi trucks wouldn't be going down Baja if not for the highway. Bikes and hikers don't need it as badly to get somewhere down there.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 09:31 AM

If you want safe say in bed, other wise go out and live. People that do these things know and except the risks. Folks that think they are insane to do them will never get it, or them.

If they are a inconvenience to you, think about your priorities. There are a lot more folks that complete the trip then are left on the side of the road.

A good friend road across America 5 times, across Canada 1 time Baja 1 time. He said Canada was much by far the most thrilling.

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by MMc]

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 10:38 AM

Except the highway was specifically built to promote economic development... and that includes RVs, trucks and trailers. The streams of RVs and Trucks far outweigh the rare bike riding tourist. Again, the RVs and Semi trucks wouldn't be going down Baja if not for the highway. Bikes and hikers don't need it as badly to get somewhere down there.

the sign says "not for high speed driving"
seems like the govt intended the road to be safe for all users, pedestrians, bicyclists, and vehicles :light:

slow down, share the road!

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by mtgoat666]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 11:00 AM

I have no problem with driving a safe speed. You may have never been south of El Rosario, but I can tell you the laws of physics does not change with going 40 vs 80 when you round a blind curve in those hills and there is a bike in your lane and a semi truck or bus in the other!

It's nothing to do with sharing the road or hitting the brakes as two objects cannot share the same space at the same time.

1) You either hit the bike because stopping before isn't possible as you just rounded a curve and there he is. Kill the biker, and mess up your life... OR
2) You swerve into the other lane and have a head on, die, kill the biker and maybe the truck driver too, mess up your life? OR
3) Swerve off the road, into a rock face or off a cliff, maybe die... and that sure messes up your life, providing for your family, being there for your children or grandchildren.

ALL Because of a free choice someone on a bike or on foot made to use a highway too narrow for safety instead of going a different route.

[Edited on 12-2-2014 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 11:14 AM

I have no problem with driving a safe speed. You may have never been south of El Rosario, but I can tell you the laws of physics does not change with going 40 vs 80 when you round a blind curve in those hills and there is a bike in your lane and a semi truck or bus in the other!

It's nothing to do with sharing the road or hitting the brakes as two objects cannot share the same space at the same time.

if you round a blind corner traveling too fast to respond to an obstruction in the road,... you are traveling too fast! :light:
never drive faster than the conditions or visibility allow :light:
basic speed law :light: (simple, practical concept, look it up)
if it's a blind corner, slow down :light:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 11:29 AM

A bike peddling up a hill is still getting hit because no car is going to slow to 2 mph or less on a blind curve, not now, not ever. You may get all us Nomads to do it, but the road is in Mexico, so good luck getting those millions to drive slower than a bike going uphill.

Why do you want the bike rider to die, anyway? I am suggesting something that is safer for everyone... You generally like government telling you how to restrict your life for the good of the many, so why is a grass roots effort to save lives bad?

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 01:40 PM

Why do you want the bike rider to die, anyway? I am suggesting something that is safer for everyone... You generally like government telling you how to restrict your life for the good of the many, so why is a grass roots effort to save lives bad?

Grass roots???? Keep on sprinkling, David :rolleyes: .....seems like you are now part of a grass root movement? Is that like, "power to the people"?....Sounds a little subversive....:lol:

Now it is you and not the government "telling ... how to restrict your life for the good of the many"....

Hmmmmmm?!?

Could you provide a map for a route alternative for cyclists in Baja?

Don't believe everything you think....
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 03:01 PM

I bet this guys has great story's to tell. I also think he will get to La Paz, in spite of what we all think or not.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 04:12 PM

Baja, back in the day, was trailblazed, founded on adventure,
maybe that is bygone time. While logic dicates this adventure
is less than safe, until the Mex Fed Hwy Cops prohibit non
motorized travel on 1, he is well within his right. As posted
if one is going at a speed not allowing for braking distance
you're going too fast, the Pacificos will be there 45 sec. later,
share the road

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 04:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
I bet this guys has great story's to tell. I also think he will get to La Paz, in spite of what we all think or not.

He'll make it. He's already got 2,000 miles of experience under his feet. He was "truckin" right along when we passed by him two weeks ago.

Now, the three big construction detours near Insurgentes and La Paz might be a bit interesting ....

The dust was soooo bad when we passed thru that a small car was embedded under the back of a semi. Yep, blew through the dust so fast that the driver never saw the semi in front of him.

Of course, this guy was not smart enough to wonder WHY the dust was so thick just in front of him .....
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 04:54 PM

When in elementary school, we were taught to face on-coming traffic when walking on the road....meaning on the left side of road in relation to your walking direction. This enables the walker to see on-coming traffic, as well as the driver seeing the walker "in his lane".

Most of us knew this by grade 7....but the delinquent kid at the back of the class asked. "How can we hitch-hike that way?"

Some of us snickered....and others didn't get it as they never thought of hitchhiking :tumble:

The teacher didn't have a memorable reply.

What side of the road is this guy walking on?

P.S. I was sitting beside him :lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 06:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Sure, but getting Kacey Smith's book would be even better!

Volume 1 Baja GPS Guide for Motorcyles

Volume 2 Baja GPS Guide for Motorcycles

Included are how to get all around Baja without using any paved roads and many on M/C only single tracks!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 07:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Baja, back in the day, was trailblazed, founded on adventure,
maybe that is bygone time. While logic dicates this adventure
is less than safe, until the Mex Fed Hwy Cops prohibit non
motorized travel on 1, he is well within his right. As posted
if one is going at a speed not allowing for braking distance
you're going too fast, the Pacificos will be there 45 sec. later,
share the road

Mama Espinosa always said that bad roads brought adventurous tolerant people, and paved roads brought uptight gringos, grumpy old men and intolerant cagers!
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 10:49 PM

David,
I have ridden on some of those tracks and NONE of them are suitable for bicycle travel or for those pushing a cart....:rolleyes:

Your suggestion is naive and idiotic....perhaps the top of the list for your foolish comments....

Get a grip. :mad:

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2014 at 11:30 PM

David,
I have ridden on some of those tracks and NONE of them are suitable for bicycle travel or for those pushing a cart....:rolleyes:

Your suggestion is naive and idiotic....perhaps the top of the list for your foolish comments....

Get a grip. :mad:

its good, but pales in comparison to Davids "baseball bats kill more people every year than guns"!:lol: imagine some of the doozies there must be in fourty- two thousand twenty posts! someone should be keeping track!

[Edited on 12-3-2014 by willardguy]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 07:01 AM

wow...... Kacey's books are designed for motor bikes... did I say bicycles? Ged, you don't ride a bicycle, I was responding to you.

Willard, I am sad you find that funny you think that most of my contributions here are stuff like that. Please go to the Historic Interests and Trip Reports forums and look for baseball bats. General discussion is that... discussion... and if you think making it illegal for honest citizens to arm themselves will somehow make all the bad guys throw away their guns, well that is a doozie!

ligui
Senior Nomad

Mood: love Baja !

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 07:53 AM

Dk ,they just want argue with you , they have nothing better to do .

Thanks for all the Baja info. !

I know what my choice would be on a sharp corner.... Life

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 09:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  

Thank you... I do take things too seriously here. I wish we could all just have fun and learn more about Baja. There are great people on Nomad.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ligui  

Thank you... I do take things too seriously here. I wish we could all just have fun and learn more about Baja. There are great people on Nomad.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.