Author: Subject: US Surfer-Tourist truck jacked
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 04:39 PM

No insurance I guess.

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 04:42 PM

you know, and I don't want to be too cynical here, the second thing I thought after checking the Facebook page, was, hum, bet there's a fund raiser coming, especially with the later board post of the account which included 'there goes my trip to Patagonia.' now as I check back, gee, someone found a fundraising site.
guess every young person out there on world wide endless adventures isn't a trust fund baby...go figure. for most of us such a misfortune would mean going back to work for awhile to recoup, not asking strangers to pitch in with funds.
probably something unfortunate did happen and I am certainly sorry for the young lady, as well as others who go thru such misfortunes. the lack of any other information is puzzling, though.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rhintransit  
you know, and I don't want to be too cynical here, the second thing I thought after checking the Facebook page, was, hum, bet there's a fund raiser coming, especially with the later board post of the account which included 'there goes my trip to Patagonia.' now as I check back, gee, someone found a fundraising site.
guess every young person out there on world wide endless adventures isn't a trust fund baby...go figure. for most of us such a misfortune would mean going back to work for awhile to recoup, not asking strangers to pitch in with funds.
probably something unfortunate did happen and I am certainly sorry for the young lady, as well as others who go thru such misfortunes. the lack of any other information is puzzling, though.

Ditto
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 05:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I don't want to be insensitive to a victim of a horrible encounter, but an alarming report like this one needs to be corroborated.
We have a date, Nov 31, but WHERE did it happen, and where was the police report filed?
I hate to pry for details about something that most people would want to leave far behind them, but if this story can't be verified, it should be pulled!
Also curious is that the poster is a newbie, with 11 posts (including this one) in over ten years.

This kind of chit happens in Baja and many other places, silly to doubt it or censor it
quick google of this found this website with the story
http://www.youcaring.com/other/let-s-help-out-josie-/274481

If you pulled every thread with unverified info or untruths, the board would be empty.

C'mon Goat, you believe this story even after you found a link for fund raising for Josie?

I have to admit it's a good story, but it sounds made up to me, and if the story is actually true, then Josie doesn't sound very bright. Money and cars can be replaced, but your life can't be replaced.

I don't know about the rest of you, but if a guy is wearing a ski mask, and asking for my car keys, while swinging a baton. I would probably give him the car keys, especially since my car insurance, or "Baja Bound" insurance would take care of the loss. It's also not very smart to get violent with a car thief, especially if he is wearing a ski mask.

Over-the-top stories like this usually come apart in the details, if they're fake stories, because certain parts of the stories usually don't make sense, or they defy beliefs or physical limitations.

If Josie was here, I would have a few question for her. Like why did she leave her car keys in the front cab, while she slept in the back?

Did Josie lock the truck, and if so how would she get back in?

I'm also confused with a few details of the story. OK Josie, jumps out of the cab, but while the other guy, who found the truck keys, drives away the truck with pedal to the metal, did Josie say, she jumped in the open driver's door.

Did Josie jump on the guys lap? Was she inside the cab, or was she half in, or only had her arm inside? How did she fall out of the cab and break her collar bone. I'm also confused how the back tire collided with her shoulder.

Did she get ran over by the truck? If so, I would expect more serious injuries.

I'm sorry, I'm calling BS to the story, especially when you see a fund raising attempt attached to the story.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 05:21 PM

All I wanted to know, is what beach did this happen at? All that detail about the event but no warning to others.
And Jeff, the 11 year newbie, does not come back with any details. He posted the link and says he was there, how about it Jeff, any more detail?
I did not doubt the story at first, but it is beginning to smell.
There are enough surfers in this community that at least word of mouth about an event like this should have spread.
I don't do Facebook, but has anybody gone to her page and asked which beach we should avoid?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 06:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
All I wanted to know, is what beach did this happen at? All that detail about the event but no warning to others.
And Jeff, the 11 year newbie, does not come back with any details. He posted the link and says he was there, how about it Jeff, any more detail?
I did not doubt the story at first, but it is beginning to smell.
There are enough surfers in this community that at least word of mouth about an event like this should have spread.
I don't do Facebook, but has anybody gone to her page and asked which beach we should avoid?

Smells fishy to me. Lets just bomb her with massive messages on her Facebook page. I'm connected to a lot of surfers that go south. We have not heard of anything like this happening. It would be somewhat big news. I'm starting the barrage now. Everyone drop her a note.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 06:55 PM

No details whatsoever forthcoming as to where this allegedly happened, which of course would probably turn up a Nomad or two who just happened to be in the area if known, and may ask some unwelcome questions. The "fundraiser" page showed $2,500 already with a goal of $10,000. Sounds like the Patagonia trip is on the way to being funded.The Baja Nomad site is well known for generous donations being successfully solicited for numerous causes, making it a prime target.
brewer
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 07:16 PM

Jeff. Check your U2U.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 07:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
It hasnt made the conventional press much, but the Mazatlan board recently posted the accounts of TWO hijackings of gringo vehicles on the highway between Culiacan and Maz. Both instances resulted in loss of life; a total of three people. Two were from California. There were very few details like time of day or night. But they were all shot. It came from a newspaper in Sinaloa. Believe it happened in late November or early December. One, I think, was a Canadian.

Not Baja, but desperate people do desperate things, especially around the holidays. And, if accurate, it explodes the myth that the violence is all ratons vs ratons.

Did anyone else hear about these incidents?

You got a link? What mazatlan board?

It's the Mazinfo board on Yahoo groups. You have to join to read it. Go for it, and report back, Goat.

It was a c and p of a newspaper account......in Spanish.

But the searching for it may cut down on your time for snarking on the Nomads board.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 07:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jeff  
Sadly the story is true and in some way has changed Baja for me forever,
though I will continue to go when I can.

The beach is one of those secret that's really no secret surf beaches but I won't be the one to name it cause I'm not sure how that could help anyone. In my 25 years of going there small thefts happen but this was just off our radar. I personally drive a POS worn out truck and camper and know no one wants it enough to steal and always had in the back of mind the thought if it all goes wrong I'd bury anything of value in the desert and take the bus home. No big deal.

I only knew Josie 4-5 days before this happened but had dinner with her and some of my longtime friends every night and got to know her a little bit, for her work she works as a "wilderness emergency medical tech" at Yosemite in summertime.

Tell me how to pull this thread and I'll happily do so.

Cheers, Jeff

You secret surfers are a silly bunch, when people ask where this happened, don't care what break, just want to know the area, e.g. Rosarito, Ensenada, san q, 7 sisters, etc.

And If you want to keep surfers away, best way to do so is to advertise the violence.

Btw, it's important to share reports of armed robbery at the beach, people really should be warned away from beaches with armed robbers.

[Edited on 12-22-2014 by mtgoat666]
brewer
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 07:53 PM

Don't bother sending that " Josie " a Facebook message. It goes to an " other folder " that she probably never checks. Maybe you have to friend her to get the story.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 07:59 PM

At first read, seems like a bad deal.
After reflecting, I gotta think this is BS.
And I too think if this was real and u still wanted to protect a secret surf spot, divulging the location of this would serve that purpose very well. Having a collection plate attached to this story seals it to me.
BS......
And I don't wear rose colored glasses when it comes to Mexico. I love the place and the people, but am well aware that there are issues.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 08:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jeff  
Believe what you will, I'm done.

Jeff

Several years ago someone stole my bike, I never thought about starting a website to fund donations for a new bike. Interesting way to fund toy purchases, I may have to try it.
Just need a good story to gain sympathy,.... Will work on that this week!

Josie needs to work on her story. She would get more contributions if she spun a yarn about being an orphan or being responsible for her elderly mother living on SS alone,...
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2014 at 08:22 PM

Hahaha!
Good one goat!
I was just remembering how many times I have had the chrome valve stem caps stolen off of my rig....
Now I may have the answer... :)
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 12:32 AM

Thanks for posting. Appreciate knowing the specifics.
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 07:47 AM

name of beach isn't posted because its "secret" surf spot?? What a bunch of BS

If you know where it is post it

Derek
ChicaSierra

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 08:43 AM

The story is true. I am also a newbie, but I am a girl, so you nomad guys please take it easier on me! I am also really glad Jeff posted this but very disappointed he won't tell the location. None of the surf spots are secret anymore, if you own the Baja surf guide. And it would benefit everyone here to know where the violence is currently occurring. I have been hearing of more problems re: meth, especially around S. Quintin, and avoid the surf spots from El Rosario north for that reason. Someone at camp 'accidentally' picked up a sketcher near Viscaino, he was headed for SQ...YIKES! No hitch hikers is my rule!
Anyhow, I recently got back home to the Sierra from visiting the Sisters and immediately had a friend telling me Josie's tragic story. I don't know her, but I and my friend used to work with Andy, who went to San Diego to pick her up. He doesn't 'know' Baja, but said she was at a point, 8/9 hrs south of the border. I haven't been able to get any more details about the story, so was happy to see Josie's own account here. He said, she travels to Baja at least once a year. Maybe she felt a false sense of security knowing the campsite and other campers around?? And, although, I would have made several decisions differently, my place is not to judge her (that helps no one.) And her friends can do all the fundraisers they want to help replace her vehicle and possessions. Chances are she didn't have comprehensive insurance for Baja...DO YOU?
And just so you all know, some of us newbies don't have the time to hang out on or check the forum throughout the day or have little time to post, but are here mainly to read, learn about others experiences and enjoy the forums (when you all are being nice!)
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 09:51 AM
Brewer - facebook

Brewer. When you quote somebody, don't add to it in the same box!
I didn't say anything about bombing her facebook page, I already said I don't use it
All I was asking is for some one who does, to ask for more info. She may not have even been aware that Jeff posted a link to her fundraising site, and she should be able to straighten out the details before it got of of hand (that sometimes happens here)

[Edited on 12-22-2014 by AKgringo]

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 09:59 AM
robbers and BS

WTF is going on with THIS ?????:?:
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-22-2014 at 10:10 AM

Chicasierra, Thanks for adding your viewpoint, if any of your contacts can fill in some details, some help for Josie might come from this sector. Because the internet and other social media are such a breeding ground for scam artists, it is important to know where it happened, and where it was reported. That is not just to verify, but as a warning to others.
It is a long shot to find her vehicle, but a few thousand set of eyes with a good description wouldn't hurt!

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  8

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.