Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: how to keep the roads safe
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 04:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
I've been practicing 60 years to be a lousy driver. Probably kill a few people soon.:lol::lol::lol:

Hit the gas Marc!!! :light: :lol::lol::lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

joerover
Banned

Mood: sleepy

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 04:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wnEVoyukU4&list=RD5wnEV...
You obviously dont live down here.

If you did, you'd know that the locals, who really dont have to have any training in driving or pass any real tests to get their licenses, are much, much worse drivers that ANY Nomad. And that's when they are sober.

I know the locals all to well. You are dead ass wrong. The Mexicans do hit thier brakes. The nomads do not drive in a safe way. Did you know the sea of cortez was between you and baja?

Read the post on Talk Baja (Facebook
copy and paste it here

Quick question back to you, Joerover...why are bicycle riders putting themselves and others in danger by using Mex1?

accept that you must hit the brakes whenyou see a bicycle
when you begin to use your brakes the danger evaporates.

there are some sick sick people here
Those near-misses are, therefore, a Public Service !
nomads are the basket cases of the car world
mrbill whick trailer park do you live in.

Ask any highway expert. drive the posted speed limit

I've been practicing 60 years to be a lousy driver. Probably kill a few people soon
repeat 10 times
hit the brakes when you see a bicycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7UWm5nXXqQ

the fat lady is breeding
which means
The fat ladys are breeding
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 04:41 PM

No one wants to get hurt or hurt others.......but, as a tourist using the road I take the risk in my car (have you ever driven an F250 with a bus coming in the other direction?) and accept the hazards. Bicycles are no different and by deciding to pedal Mex 1 have decided to accept the risk.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 05:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfmkgQRmmeE

smart people hit the brakes when they see a bicycle
baja nomads blame someone else because they are unable to drive safely

why is that

Please Nomads ,, do not feed the Trolls
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 07:03 PM
Carnage Asada in Baja

Don't MOST (nearly ALL) of those roadside crosses represent local Mexican drivers and passengers ?
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 07:27 PM

I think "Hook" pretty much nailed it. joerover is a wanker.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 09:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
I think "Hook" pretty much nailed it. joerover is a wanker.

Well, I suppose being a wanker is better than being any of the multiple undesirable personality types in the nomad anti-bike crowd.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2015 at 10:26 PM

Unless Nomads are extremely secretive about any traffic accidents they have, of the thousands of posts on this board I can't remember any accident reports. Also irrespective of the biker rants, has there been any reports of a Nomad making a hood ornament out of a biker? Close calls maybe, but close only counts in horseshoes. I think the facts will support that the Nomads in general have to be pretty safe drivers.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
1-18-2015 at 12:45 AM
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 08:34 AM

"why are bicycle riders putting themselves and others in danger by using Mex1"
As with a cow, goat, fallen rocks, stalled vehicle on the side of the road, they are a hazard to avoid. Sometimes the avoidance event occurs on a blind curve - there are many such blind curves on Mex. 1. Although Mex. 1 is continually be upgraded with shoulders, most of Mex. 1 has no shoulder, and for hundreds of miles, the road drops off a 1'-2' ditch. In sum, when a driver is confronted with avoiding a cyclist, he/she and the cyclist must contend with every condition the avoidance event presents - which might just be on a blind curve, with an 18-wheeler in the other lane, taking up 2 feet of your lane, with no place for the cyclist or motorist to go except possibly over a cliff. Not impossible and like probable.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 09:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
You can't post here unless you are "a Nomad"! LOL

Some of you who think the part of Hwy. 1 made in 1973 was done so to serve bike riders, really need a reality check. Nobody should die or have a conflict with others on the highway, there are just parts where being an un-motorized user is just dangerous to everyone. Use the parallel dirt roads down Baja, for safety and for more enjoyment of Nature!

Read the post on Talk Baja (Facebook) about the nine killed and I believe the cars that hit the bike riders were Mexican, not American or Canadian Baja Nomad members?

David I rode 90 miles yesterday along S2 yesterday. That narrow highway has no shoulders either. I had no issues whatsoever with drivers. Most passed wide or slowed down until it was safe to pass.

I have no desire to ride hwy one. But it's not the highway that is unsafe but those who drive it. You never know what is around the bend....a cow, broken down vehicle, or a bicycle.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by baja43  
Quick question back to you, Joerover...why are bicycle riders putting themselves and others in danger by using Mex1?

Because bike riders have equal rights to use the road.
The person causing the danger is the person driving too fast.
The better question: why are you driving too fast?

Do bike riders pay gasoline taxes to build and maintain the highways in Mexico or the US?

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 10:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
The only people causing unsafe conditions are drivers that drive too fast and therefore are unable to stop for rocks, slow vehicles, animals, bikes, and potholes. You drivers should slow down and pass slower traffic only when safe to do so. Why is it so hard for some of you to understand that?

Can you understand this?:

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/faq

Montana just increased the Maximum speed limit to 85 mph and it is already 80 in a lot of states.

Bob Durrell
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 10:36 AM

Ask any highway expert... slow drivers are responsible for more accidents!

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/faq

Q. Isn't slower always safer?

A. No, federal and state studies have consistently shown that the drivers most likely to get into accidents in traffic are those traveling significantly below the average speed. According to research, those driving 10 mph slower than the prevailing speed are more likely to be involved in an accident. That means that if the average speed on an interstate is 70 mph, the person traveling at 60 mph is more likely to be involved in an accident than someone going 70 or even 80 mph.

HIT THE GAS!!! :light:

It says much that DK would support his argument by choosing to quote an organization that fights against drunk driving laws and funds lobbying against efforts of MADD.

He should have closed his argument with "hit the gas while drunk!"
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 11:10 AM

All kidding aside re my last post. I raced bikes for 25+ years and have trained thousands of miles on California roads and I have the scars to prove it. My wife kidded that she was going to publish a book on emergency rooms. I was hospitalized in for over a week after crashing during a race. So I do have some experience out in traffic. That being said..CYCLING HIGHWAY ONE IS FOR FOOLS.
This is me in 1984, Monitor Pass, Nevada.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 11:42 AM

Goat, why dont you protest Ca dept of transportation because bicycles are not allowed on freeways here? Why is that? Such descrimination!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 12:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
"
As with a cow, goat, fallen rocks, stalled vehicle on the side of the road, they are a hazard to avoid. Sometimes the avoidance event occurs on a blind curve - there are many such blind curves on Mex. 1. Although Mex. 1 is continually be upgraded with shoulders, he/she and the cyclist must contend with every condition the avoidance event presents -.[/rquote

this is why you decide now what to do

HIT THE BRAKES
when you see a bicycle

why did you not slow down for a blind curve? Before you got there?

nomed brains are slow thinking
decide before it hapens

what do you do when you see a bicycle
say it out loud
HIT THE BRAKES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L7gsJfgJaw

the fat lady is breeding
which means
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 12:48 PM
joe

Listen up fool for every mile you have driven I have easyly driven 10K for your single mile without any question,,so when I say you a fool,,Idiot,,self centered,, sorry excuse for a fellow human if you want to promote bick riding down the Baja # 1.......what the HELL wrong with you ???? are you really this STUPID ???????

[Edited on 1-18-2015 by captkw]
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 12:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGO9jNHH5Lw

HIT THE GAS!!! :light:[/rquote]

It says much that DK would support his argument by choosing to quote an organization that fights against drunk driving laws and funds lobbying against efforts of MADD.

[/rquote]

davidk sems to have a guilt complex
he is attempting to justify a hit and run?
he is not attempting to convince others, he wants to convince himself,
david your restitution should be to convince nomads to hit the brakes when they see a bicycle

it was your fault

the fat lady is breeding
which means
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 12:57 PM
joe

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
Listen up fool for every mile you have driven I have easyly driven 10K for your single mile without any question,,so when I say you a fool,,Idiot,,self centered,, sorry excuse for a fellow human if you want to promote bick riding down the Baja # 1.......what the HELL wrong with you ???? are you really this STUPID ??????? HEY put a big pink sign on your back and ride the hwy..just give me/us the dates !!!

[Edited on 1-18-2015 by captkw]
joerover
Banned

[*] posted on 1-18-2015 at 01:12 PM
B A D D

bicyclist against drunk drivers
bicyclist against dumb drivers

afraid to cycle forced to ride bus

damm nomads

[Edited on 1-18-2015 by joerover]

the fat lady is breeding
which means
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.