Author: Subject: Megadrought Predictions
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajalearner  
Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
That's what gets me!! Nasa wants to land peeps on mars when they should be finding an affordable way to desalinate sea water and send the salt to mars

[Edited on 2-14-2015 by blackwolfmt]

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!! (except forget the "sending salt to mars")

Our priorities are often so screwed up!!!

Barry

"Our" priorities may not be inline with the wealthy. What if NASA is working toward a place for the wealthy to go and leave "us" here to tend the coal mines? You know, like Malibu compared to south central or the Hamptoms vs Harlem. :?:

Righttttttttttttt!!!!! :biggrin:

I, for one, will not go with them--------I like it just fine right here!!!

Barry
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2015 at 02:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Quote: Originally posted by Barry A.  
In investing circles, it has long (50 years plus) been predicted that WATER WARS will replace OIL WARS in the future.

Conclusion: Invest in all things "water" related.

Sounds reasonable to me. :biggrin:

Barry

Never let a perfectly good crisis go to waste.

Bottem line------- so true!!! Especially when the "crisis" is, as usual, caused by people with an agenda going off half-c-cked and thereby causing panic or reaction to something that can be minimally changed by man, if at all.

I just adapt to------well---------whatever, and try to take advantage of opportunities as they develop and as I find them.

Life is good (so far)

Barry
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 08:04 AM

Hush now, you'll scare the children.
Everything is fine. God is in control.
Consume.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/02/150212154422.ht...
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 10:43 AM

When I first posted this news article, I wasn't wanting to revive the climate change rant, rather I was thinking about how Baja might respond to diminishing water availability and how at least Nomads might respond....perhaps I should have added that to the post.

I live in an area where, when it is a "dry year", we suffer from significant forest fires...

I am interested in how Nomads living in areas with no or limited water supply systems manage their water needs....truck it in for underground cisterns, tanks on roof, wells, or what?

Don't believe everything you think....
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 11:57 AM

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/02/14/nasa-warns-of-megadroughts-orig.cnn-nasa/video/playlists/most-popular-domestic/

Don't believe everything you think....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 12:12 PM

I thought I saw a post a couple of months ago where DK said the drought was over?

You thought wrong, .... again... but have a nice day!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 12:38 PM

The desert southwest is already sucking up the Colorado River and its tributaries NOB with next to nothing crossing the border into Mexico. The taping of ground water cannot sustain the current population and agricultural needs without those runoff sources.
The emergency is already here and Mexicali and its farms only have ground water left :no:
BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 12:45 PM

And Yes man is directly connected with the current water strains in the desert southwest, the shortages are a man made problem period.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 01:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/02/14/nasa-warns-of-megadroughts-orig.cnn-nasa/video/playlists/most-popular-domestic/
What do they know? Do they think they're a bunch of rocket scientists or something? Probably been paid off by Al Gore.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 01:15 PM

:lol::lol:

http://www.latimes.com/local/politics/la-me-pol-water-brown-...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/08/130816-color...

[Edited on 2-15-2015 by wessongroup]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 01:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I thought I saw a post a couple of months ago where DK said the drought was over?

You thought wrong, .... again... but have a nice day!

Quote from David K in March where he declared the drought not severe in San Diego and overall just a political problem.

Quote:

No, because the drought is not severe here... our local water supply is fine and because of conservation through smarter watering methods and low flow toilets, etc. we don't need to go on odd/even or selected days to irrigate. I am happy to report drip and low volume irrigation and smart controllers do work, and when installed and operated correctly reduce water use and maintain property value and beauty (and give us oxygen).

Again, the crisis is largely political... rain will come... but they want more dollars, now.

Page 6 of http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=72656&pag...

I guess that means that somehow the no snow pack AGAIN this year, is simply a political problem. If the politicians don't declare a severe drought, I guess is does not happen. :rolleyes:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 02:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  
The desert southwest is already sucking up the Colorado River and its tributaries NOB with next to nothing crossing the border into Mexico. The taping of ground water cannot sustain the current population and agricultural needs without those runoff sources.
The emergency is already here and Mexicali and its farms only have ground water left :no:

Back in the early '60's when I was studying the problem of "water" in the southwest USA, there was little water reaching the Mexicali Valley of Mexico from the Colorado River despite Treaty commitments.

This problem is far from "new".

Barry
BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 04:51 PM

My daughter likes to remind me that man has been on the planet for seconds on the 24 hour clock in the relation to the time line of this blue ball.
Once again we ditch the thought that man is effecting our environment and destroying our biodiversity.
Forget your climate change argument, please give me your info to deny ecological impact of man :?:
BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 04:53 PM

Sorry Barry but the reduced flow of the Colorado starts with us :cool:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 05:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaRat  
Sorry Barry but the reduced flow of the Colorado starts with us :cool:

"Sorry Barry"????? Sorry for what? Man is TOTALLY responsible for the waters of the Colorado River (etc.) not reaching Mexico as it historically has done for eons. No argument there. All I am saying is that is not new----been going on for over 50 + years at least, that I know of. It should have been corrected years ago----another treaty/agreement broken by the USA.

Barry
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 05:38 PM

Barry is right. One of the major reasons for the huge development in places like Las Vegas and So Cal is the water from the Colorado river. It is sort of interesting that there have been record rains fro San Francisco up to Seattle, but he Colorado basin is still parched.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 05:46 PM

Barry, You said it was far from new. I'm sorry, I thought you were implying that this problem was not man made.
Respect to you my man

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by BajaRat]
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 06:36 PM

It's a desert!!!!!

I have lived in the Sonora Desert for 55 plus years.

We get about 12 inches of rain a year.

But, what I resent, is the FUD

FEAR

Uncertainty

Doubt

This has nothing to do with global warming. It has to do with population growth.

AZ and Phoenix in particular, is one of the fastest growing areas in the US.

We have the Central AZ Project. We have the Salt River Project

And besides, from what I have read, the global warming is going to cause more monsoon storms in the summer and more rain and flooding in the winter due to El Nino

FYI

We currently have reduced our drought substantially over the past 12 months, but it is highly unlikely that we will ever be out of a drought, living in the desert!!:o

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 08:37 PM

Los Angeles only grew bigger from historic small size when Mulholland brought water from the eastern Sierras in the early 1900s. Then the Colorado was tapped for more SoCal water. As was said, 'its a desert!". You don't have the same issues east of the Rockies. Climate change? IMHO, it's a natural phenomenon. We had an Ice Age 10,000 yrs ago. ice down to mid Atlantic region. Man may have an impact on "Local" water distribution ( Colorado, Eastern Sierra) and indirectly, by population growth world wide in the last 200 years but what is the alternative? Summery execution?
BTW, I live at Lake Powell. I'm looking out my window at the lake right now. We are 45% of full pool. We lose water until about May when the snow pack upstream melts then we gain 60-70 or more feet of water depth. The lake is 460 feet deep at the dam. It is 170+ miles long. We are today within 2 inches of what we had 2 years ago same day.
As was also said, we are ( we being man's existence on this planet) but an eye blink in the total history of the world. Climate change has always been active on the earth.
Why isn't man's position here ever considered another "natural phenomenon" in the history of the world. Why is always considered and abnormality?
Nothing lasts forever on the world. Pangea didn't last forever, nor any of its relatives. Dinosaurs only lasted hundreds of millions of years before they died out. Man will eventually die out just like everything else has done AS A NATURAL PHENOMENON.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-15-2015 at 09:31 PM

Agree Cliffy ... Based on the Law of thermodynamics as it applies to all matter we currently understand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_thermodynamics

And we are seeing "it" applied globally at this time

Bit surprised about Lake Powell .. as a National Geo'a repot on the "river" and/or "lake's" was somewhat different

Noted that the comparisons are from 1999 and 2013, a very interesting interactive they have though

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/08/130816-color...

Think the Anasazi might have idea's on drought and/or climate change, if we could ask them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Pueblo_peoples#Migratio...

And I'm NOT hoping for a drought ... anywhere

Pray and/or dance for rain/snow .. where needed

[Edited on 2-16-2015 by wessongroup]
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.