BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: 2015 Baja Pole Line Road 4x4 Run (April 4th, 5th, 6th - 2015)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

shocked.gif posted on 4-8-2015 at 09:12 PM
Neal Johns' 'Bad Hill' goes from 'Bad' to 'Worse'!

Will experienced electrical problems, and his 90's Bronco was completely DOA as a result. It took the combined efforts of our entire group with Carl pulling the big Bronco down the Bad Hill without proper brakes nor steering!

I will post the video this weekend...

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-8-2015 at 11:37 PM

Thank you Ken for the photos!

Edit: Here are mine (day 1 of 4 just posted): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=78437

[Edited on 4-9-2015 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 06:43 AM

Thanks for the pics
PW
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 06:55 AM

Thanks Ken. It was a fantastic trip with some really good people helping each other along the way. I want to especially thank Chuck for his expert spotting. I had a wonderful time.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 06:59 AM

Wow, you pulled a Bronco thru that...wow. If your truck has any weak spots the Pole Line Road will find them!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 05:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
Wow, you pulled a Bronco thru that...wow. If your truck has any weak spots the Pole Line Road will find them!

Thanks to TW, Carl, Larry, and EHall for the towing they did. It got pretty extreme on the Pole Line Road as a result of the broken-down Bronco on the trail combined with washed out trail.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 05:49 PM

did not notice anything extreme on our trip - or was it that difficult for Jeeps?

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 06:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
did not notice anything extreme on our trip - or was it that difficult for Jeeps?

:lol: :lol::wow::cool:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 06:23 PM
Extreme Bronco pull to Hwy 5

The Pole Line group had to rebuild a section of road that was washed out during recent rains across the region. EHall's RUBICON drove straight up a steep drop off, but many of the vehicles could not handle such a steep grade. For example, Will's Bronco needed to be pulled to Hwy 5.

Joe 'Frigatebird' driving up the Pole Line washout with Chuck spotting

Huitzi and Will stabilize Frigatebirds Tacoma

The 2015 Baja Pole Line Run was a great success. Although, there were some breakdowns, the run was fun, the weather pleasant, and the excitement level ran high thanks to everyone's hard work at getting Will and his Bronco back to civilization. Thanks to MICK for your hard work and hospitality in putting Will's Bronco back together and feeding his crew!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 06:29 PM

why do you need to stabilize a level vehicle?

Harald Pietschmann
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 06:32 PM

Pulling the Bronco behind a tire-spinning pickup up steep inclines wasn't exactly mild. EHall's RUBICON hooked up the pickup and the two vehicles pulled the Bronco in tandem. It got pretty wild. EHall's RUBICON pulled serious hillclimb duty. Not a problem for his Jeep.:yes:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 06:34 PM

why do you need to stabilize a level vehicle?

Free ride back to the RUBICON.:light:

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 06:42 PM

you should do the Rubicon Trail one day, Ken (and that's only moderately difficult - not extreme). PLR was mild wheeling.

The pulling was quite entertaining though.

Harald Pietschmann
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 07:00 PM

I would like to run the Rubicon trail. I might get altitude sickness, though. I always do.

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 07:54 PM

Rubicon is fun and I highly recommend the jeepers jamboree. They take real good care of you.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-10-2015 at 08:00 AM

Looks like a fun trip, aside from the break down....
Thanks for taking us along with the photos.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2015 at 08:38 AM

you should do the Rubicon Trail one day, Ken (and that's only moderately difficult - not extreme). PLR was mild wheeling.

The pulling was quite entertaining though.

In all fairness, this was not a mild wheeling for most of us... I know you have done far more extreme four wheeling (and I loved the book you wrote, even if I don't read German).

When an 'Off Road' model truck has some body damage and the severe scratching from brush and trees, requires spotting to drive over or through rocks, and most of the run done in low range 4WD, it rates up there when compared to other Baja dirt roads. Only the road to Mission Santa Maria was more difficult, and not by much...

I am just making this point so other Nomads don't do this run alone or with a stock rig and expect a mild run. Lockers or 4WD Traction Control, good tires aired down, and experience is required for the Pole Line Road, IMO. Here are three photos of the 'mild' road I was able to take:

[Edited on 1-9-2022 by David K]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 09:43 PM
Condensed Trip Report

On Saturday, April 4th a group of Jeeps and Toyota Tacomas met in Calexico for a three-day run in the scenic desert just outside of Mexicali, Baja California. After crossing the US/Mexico border, and getting some of the best grilled Mexican food along Hwy 2 at Asadero El Morlan, our group headed to Cohabuzo Junction where our numbers swelled to 15 vehicles. Our group of Tacomas and 4 Rubicons was joined by a Ford Ranger, a big Bronco, a 70s full-size Blazer, and two Mercedes Benz G-Wagons that traveled north from La Paz, Baja California!

Our first objective was to reach the entrance of the abandoned telephone line road that was constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in 1942 as a communications link for the U.S. in the event of German Submarines attacking the U.S. from the Colorado River. We reached our camping location below Portezuelo de Jamau. Cold winds howled all night long, letting up at sunrise where our group was treated with a discussion of the Missions of Alta and Baja California by Author David Kier. He presented his book, "The Old Missions of Baja and Alta California" [https://www.facebook.com/oldmissions] to our group while three vehicles had to return to Rio Hardy due to a leaking transmission gasket on the Ford Ranger on 35s. Now, down to 12 vehicles, we entered the Pole Line Road, traveling the forgotten hand-laid path built by U.S. Troops that begins at the crest of a hill above Caņon Enmedio, and follows the rough and rocky canyon to the big obstacle of the day - BASKETBALL HILL.

Recent rainstorms have claimed sections of Basketball Hill, turning it into a semi-serious hillclimb with 2' deep ruts, washouts, 3' and 4' rocks and a burnt-out Z-71 pickup near the top of the hill for added entertainment value! Our group of 12 vehicles competently made the climb to the top of the Hill before descending into Cowboy Canyon and the massive Jaquegel Canyon below it. Telephone poles line the route - some cut down by ranchers, others left idle for 73 years. As the telephone road crossed the lower Jaquegel Canyon, the crushed Suzuki Samurai that once graced the lower Enmedio Canyon just below Basketball Hill could be seen - all smashed like it entered a trash compactor! Our group stopped to take photos and marvel at the size of this little Suzuki - parts of it still intact. We continued to reach the end of the trail and possibly Rio Hardy for our evening at Mick's river house. As we traveled a tall mesa named, "Bad Hill" by Pole Line researcher and military veteran Neal Johns, the big Bronco lost its entire ignition system. Without spare parts for the aftermarket system, two vehicles returned to the Suzuki in hopes that the distributor would fire up the Bronco. No doing.

With the heavy-gauge Teraflex yank-strap I keep in my Jeep at all times, Will's Bronco was yanked by Karl's G-500 Mercedes down "Bad Hill!" Caught on video for all to see, this spectacle ended our day at dusk in the Jaguqel wash where we turned in for the night. Early the next day, we had realized that our road had washed out! With no way to return to Hwy 5, Ed Hall's TJ Rubicon took for the sandy wash at daybreak where he determined that our only way out to Mexicali would be to rebuild our washed out road! With a pick, shovels and determination, our group of six determined laborers (myself included) shoved and stacked rocks for the next hour and a half. We took a road with a 26 degree slant, and leveled it in order that the Tacoma with a pop-up camper and the big Bronco being pulled (now) by a Tacoma could make the grade (literally). With some tire-spin, Tom Wimberly's Tacoma pulled the big Bronco up the connecting road and away from possible disaster.

Our normal route to Ejido Jose Saldaņa had been washed away by the winter storms that claimed the entire lower Jaquegel wash. Our only way to Mex Hwy 5 was Arroyo Grande. Larry's Mexico-only Nissan Diesel pulled the big Bronco throughout mid-day, ending up at La Ventana at 3:30 pm. We aired up our tires, and I also aired up Will's Baja Claw's for his tow back to MICK's house 20 miles up the hwy near Campo Mosqueda. With a Bronco in the campo to scavenge from, Will's truck was up and running for his drive back to Rosarito Beach that evening with friend Larry and their two seņoritas.

Everyone on the trip had a wonderful time. Through hardcore teamwork, we accomplished the impossible. A dead Bronco was brought back to life thanks to a trail-tested yank strap, a Tacoma kept the Bronco from going off of a cliff, and our group of U.S.-bound travelers crossed the border on a Monday afternoon into Calexico before 6 pm! We all had an unforgettable time that will have to one day be repeated south of the border on the Baja Pole Line Road.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 08:14 AM

Looking forward to the video and the GoPro film from in front of Chuck's Jeep! He was behind me some of the time, so maybe I will see what rock hit my bumper and tweaked it a little?

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Looking forward to the video and the GoPro film from in front of Chuck's Jeep! He was behind me some of the time, so maybe I will see what rock hit my bumper and tweaked it a little?

we have the same phenomenon on the Rubicon Trail - some rocks seem to be alive. They attack you when you are not watching. I have had trees kick dents into my doors. Needs to be studied!
Maybe the video helps.

However, you might get accused of causing harm to those endemic rocks.

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.