Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Arroyo Grande
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 01:14 PM

People may wonder why this is an issue for me.

I am an off-roader..Truck, Jeep, and ATV. I (and my son) are off-road racers. Things like this ruin it for everyone. Regardless of the excuses. So next time you b-tch about a racer or pre runner, Think about these guys....not the majority of off-roaders and racers who care about what they are doing.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 01:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I apologize guys - forgot my own doctrine to post sunsets and sunrises only.

And David, you might remove the part of your report where you bypassed a locked gate on PLR before rts551 finds it.

Don't apologize because someone isn't having a good time here, and if we didn't explore Old California by going around locked gates, (and not steeling or damaging property), then we are a poorer people for what is not seen. The land is the land and it is forever... People can only claim it for a short time because we are temporary on this planet.

Looks like your posts are temporary as well. Why throw them out there and then delete them. People will still know you took this thread off-topic.

Any posts that you boys duplicate I removed because there is no need to see it twice on one page to keep the thread moving. Nothing off topic I see either. I will delete this one too if you quote it for the same reason.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 02:02 PM

he could turn around. you don't have a clue why the road is closed.

i'll leave it there....... not much more to say anyway.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 02:03 PM

Practical ... yes, Legal ... No

Enjoy it while you can :):)

The days of just going any place .... keeps getting smaller and smaller

[Edited on 4-9-2015 by wessongroup]
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 02:20 PM

DianaT, 73 year old roads closed CAUSES damage by people making bypass routes over virgen land as we so clearly illustrate here. The rancher is 100% responsible for the 1/2 mile detour road. If one came from 40 miles over that road to find the end blocked, he has no choice but to find a way around.

I wonder what Mike from Baja Dark Skies might say about this issue?

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
4-9-2015 at 02:21 PM
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 02:47 PM

There is no ranch, observatory, retreat, B&B, development, or people... within sight of the 1942 road... none. So, Zac, apples and oranges.

I respect what Mike tried to achieve at Rancho Concepcion (Dark Skies Inn)... I had hoped to visit there before it closed. However, it isn't rocket science to figure what could happen if you suddenly close roads that people need or use to get around. Buying a ranch in the middle of a road route, rather than at the end of a road and then saying the game has changed obviously met with resistance from the Mexican off road groups and others, according to Mike's posts.

There is a saying, "If you can't beat them, join them". Mike could have more business by welcoming four wheelers and bike riders, like Mike's Sky Rancho and Rancho El Coyote, if he wanted it. He told me he doesn't, and that is his business, not ours!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 03:02 PM

How quickly we conveniently forget. Mike tried to accommodate people through his property in the beginning. Their inconsideration, damage to his fence and property, and cutting locks on the gates caused him to reconsider and close it permanently.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 03:04 PM

This has moved ?? ... :biggrin::biggrin:

Legal .. Yes ... Practical no ... :):)

[Edited on 4-9-2015 by wessongroup]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 03:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
This has moved ?? ... :biggrin::biggrin:

It was in the Hiking Forum, and this clearly is an Off Roading issue. Thanks to Doug for working on Nomad while on vacation!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 03:17 PM

How quickly we conveniently forget. Mike tried to accommodate people through his property in the beginning. Their inconsideration, damage to his fence and property, and cutting locks on the gates caused him to reconsider and close it permanently.

Didn't forget a thing... the road was not open, except by invitation, and that didn't work too well, did it? Nothing wrong with Mike wanting privacy, but again an existing road closed by the new guy didn't work in the end. I just wish Mike could have worked it out so it was a win-win.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 04:45 PM

Didn't forget a thing... the road was not open, except by invitation, and that didn't work too well, did it? Nothing wrong with Mike wanting privacy, but again an existing road closed by the new guy didn't work in the end. I just wish Mike could have worked it out so it was a win-win.

Like I said. How quickly we forget. from

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=58082&pag...

Quote:

If you examine the maps I have posted, you can see that as recent as 2003, the road from Astro's place to the Observatory road is not shown... i.e. it is a 'new' road.

Before Astro (Mike) bought the land, the road was pushed through from Rancho Concepcion (now Baja Dark Skies Inn) to the Observatory road and the previous owner gave SCORE permission to use it for a Baja race.

It seems that if the above is true then it can hardly be considered 'grandfathered' as a right-of-way to the public. Remember it was the bad behavior by a 4WD club and marijuana farmers that caused AstroBaja to put up the gates in the first place. If people would be respectful then this road may have been left open. He certainly goes beyond the ordinary by opening the gate if he is asked to by the other 4wd and m/c clubs.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 05:03 PM

just food for thought - if you buy property and an established road runs through it. Go ahead and lock it. Fine with me. Nobody can get it. Fine with me.
If I would find a locked gate as an entrance to a property, I would respect that every day.

In our case we traveled along an established road, found some abandoned ranchos, opened several gates and then found ourselves locked inside a property which had not been locked at our side of entry.

Had the same thing happen to me on the same property 20 years ago. Drove back 5 miles to a working ranch and asked for the key.
"Where did you come from?"
"From Arroyo Grande."
"Nobody comes from there"
"Well, I did."
They were kind and opened the gate.

Same rancho 20 years later. We find ourselves locked inside. No bid deal, I drive back to the rancho.
No more rancho.
2 luxurious houses with horse stables etc.
Nobody around to ask for a key.
Drove around for 30 minutes to find a caretaker.
Nobody around for miles.
So, we looked for a low damage way around the gate.
Nada
Going back was not an option.
Not because we are lazy - no, we had only gas for maybe 40 miles.
The way back would have been 100+ miles.

The way I see it, the owners carelessly trapped us. We exited causing as little damage as possible.

By the way, the sign advertising government funds at work to restore nature. We counted about 20 newly bulldozed roads inside the old rancho. They are definitely not there to protect nature. They are protecting their privacy and investment. Nothing wrong with that.
But please make an effort to lock all gates.

The people I train would have chosen the same route. Possibly with C4.

[Edited on 4-10-2015 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 05:09 PM

C4 ???!!!!

Blowed up real good.... :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtdXzBSVaU

Don't believe everything you think....
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 05:40 PM

and before someone asks - no, I did not take pictures of the $$$$$ country retreats. It's none of my business.

Harald Pietschmann
Archie
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 06:09 PM

Those bulldozed roads you saw, they are called "brechas cortafuego"and their function is to stop spreading wildfires and serve as roads for the forest firefighter crews, thats also funded by the government and gives employment to locals.

The gates are there to control access and help stop poachers, because thats a zone of mating and transit for bighorn sheep, mule deer and cougars. Also there have been reports thats a zone for drug traffic and there were some growers in the canyons.

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2015 at 06:15 PM

I know how brechas cortafuegos look like - these were no fire breaks

Harald Pietschmann
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 09:08 AM
Rancho Arroyo Grande, 1955

From Howard Gulick, 11-25-55

Emerson
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 09:36 AM

The quality makes it look like it was taken yesterday.
Great pics.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 10:46 AM

theft and vandalism and increased offroading have brought undesirable elements of civilization to many rural areas of baja. unfortunately, that means local people are now fencing off many old roads. these roads are not really "public" thoroughfares, just old roads to ranches,... perhaps the only people with rights to these roads are local ranches that have informal or formal easement rights

unfortunately, if offroaders cut locks, disrespect gates/fences/signs, the remaining public access will disappear.

a theme repeated all over: a few offroaders often spoil everything for everyone else
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2015 at 10:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
theft and vandalism and increased offroading have brought undesirable elements of civilization to many rural areas of baja. unfortunately, that means local people are now fencing off many old roads. these roads are not really "public" thoroughfares, just old roads to ranches,... perhaps the only people with rights to these roads are local ranches that have informal or formal easement rights

unfortunately, if offroaders cut locks, disrespect gates/fences/signs, the remaining public access will disappear.

a theme repeated all over: a few offroaders often spoil everything for everyone else

why do you say "a few offroaders"? It's not just a few - most of them behave badly. After almost 30 years on the Rubicon Trail and in Baja, I can tell you it's not the 5%. It's most of us.

Harald Pietschmann
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.