Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Trouble in San Quintin
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 11:32 AM

Just saw a video of some of the "strife" which is occurring ... Sadly it reminded me of the Gaza Strip
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 04:56 PM

I'm just wondering. The very fact that this area has become an agricultural dynamo owes to the fact that their workers don't have to risk the border to get jobs up North.

So, does anyone know what the companies are paying their workers in the area? I'm guessing that it's less than they would earn in El Norte.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2015 at 05:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
I'm just wondering. The very fact that this area has become an agricultural dynamo owes to the fact that their workers don't have to risk the border to get jobs up North.

So, does anyone know what the companies are paying their workers in the area? I'm guessing that it's less than they would earn in El Norte.

It varies some, but before it was running about the equivalent of $8 a day. The workers started out demanding approx $19.70 a day and lowered it to $13.10 a day, plus they wanted laws regarding the payment of social security and health insurance paid, and maybe a little respect. The piece work is, of course different.

The last negotiations ended with the growers agreeing to some of the demands, but only wanted to increase the wages about 12% if I remember correctly --- it may be a bit more. And some of the growers made some separate deals. It is a rather complicated situation.

The workers agreed to the changes, except were still demanding higher wages. The government has been involved in the talks. This last violence broke out because the government representatives did not show up because they said they had no new agreement from the growers. They are supposed to show up on Wednesday.

So yes, it is a lot less than they earn in the US.

That is a VERY simplified version of what has been happening --- but they have not had raises in a long time, so I am told.

tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 05:21 AM

Do you think this peace march scheduled for wednesday will affect the highway ??
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 07:16 AM

Hard to say. Its been reported that the movement has been infiltrated by people who cause problems (gang members) and that is what caused the problems last weekend. Leaders are vowing peaceful marches.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 07:19 AM

editorial.

http://www.razon.com.mx/spip.php?page=columnista&id_arti...
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 07:27 AM

We will be passing thru this afternoon & will report. Like last time i anticipate smooth sailing with very little traffic & lots of police & military to keep things peaceful.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 07:54 AM

Today and this afternoon will be fine. Tomorrow the farm workers are scheduled to meet with the government again. So it depends on how that goes.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 08:14 AM

So many different articles from different sides of the story and some say it is the workers who cause violence, some say they become violent after they are attacked by the police, and others say the workers are peaceful except the ones agitated by political parties, or gangs. And some of the perspectives I read on TalkBaja are different than I read in e-mails from friends living in the area.

While this last outbreak did not last as long, there was violence, arson and the highway was blocked for a while while rocks were being thrown.

As Ralph said, no one knows what tomorrow will bring or even if the government officials will show up this time.

For gringos, the best place to get real time info about the rally and whether it is remaining peaceful or not, is the facebook page TalkBaja. While they may differ in opinion regarding causes, the ones living there know if it is safe to travel or not.

Hopefully the rally will remain peaceful, and hopefully more of the worker's demands will be met.

Need a crystal ball to know what tomorrow will bring.

[Edited on 5-12-2015 by DianaT]

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 10:11 AM

I drove through NB last Friday. Striking workers everywhere and several sections of the highway was shut down by marches. Police vehicles were leading the marches and riding drag at the end of each group. Traffic was simply diverted to dirt road paralleling highway. All very peaceful and organized when I went through but it looks like it got out of hand the next day.

In Memory of E-57
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 11:40 AM

Another march will start tomorrow at 3:00 a.m. they will be going south from Vicente guerrero. The loudspeakers should start waking them up around 1:30.
The conflict on Friday started because farm workers were in the camps behind the Posada Don Diego picking strawberries and the leaders sent some people to stop them they did not want to stop so the workers called the police. When the police got there one of the protester hit a cop in the head with rock or a stick and the rest joined in. they started the fence on fire and it all went to hell from there. We were out watching it because they ran right in front of house to get to the field. We stayed to watch of course from distance to see if our field would start on fire.
the cops chased these guys back up the hill when they were pelted with rocks which happens on a daily basic. I live right next to this and listen to the loud speakers daily. Many of our employees live up there and are asked where they are going as they do not want them to work. They often say going to pick up other to join the protest or going to get medicine. They do not say they are going to work they are afraid of the leaders. When you have a problem you go to the leaders and not the police. This how it is done.
So we will see what happens tomorrow. the Government can not give them the raise they want because it would have to change the whole pay scale of Mexico so that will not happen.
Stay safe be careful

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DianaT  

It varies some, but before it was running about the equivalent of $8 a day. The workers started out demanding approx $19.70 a day and lowered it to $13.10 a day, plus they wanted laws regarding the payment of social security and health insurance paid, and maybe a little respect. The piece work is, of course different.

The last negotiations ended with the growers agreeing to some of the demands, but only wanted to increase the wages about 12% if I remember correctly --- it may be a bit more. And some of the growers made some separate deals. It is a rather complicated situation.

The workers agreed to the changes, except were still demanding higher wages. The government has been involved in the talks. This last violence broke out because the government representatives did not show up because they said they had no new agreement from the growers. They are supposed to show up on Wednesday.

That is a VERY simplified version of what has been happening --- but they have not had raises in a long time, so I am told.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 04:59 PM

Thanks.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 05:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tecatero  
Heading north today. I will post later providing we make it thru. Does it seem These events are always later in the week around Friday?

It is reported on TalkBaja via a news article, that there is going to be a peaceful rally march on Wed as the workers wait for more responses from the government officials. Hopefully, there will be a settlement soon and that the rally will remain peaceful.

Safe travels and just check as you go.

Just wanted to reiterate that unless you are a Facebook member, you cannot access Talkbaja.

[Edited on 5-11-2015 by DianaT]
irenemm
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 05:14 PM

Our people in the kitchen that live in that area said they have been told to carry sticks, shovels and machete tomorrow for the peaceful march. let see if it stays peaceful no need for hardware if it is peaceful.

stop and visit us

see us on facebook
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 05:36 PM

Irene, thank you for the insightful and on-the-spot reporting; doesn't sound good at all. Stock up your goodies.

Howie, lay off the sauce.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 05:39 PM

Wodd? They are being paid less than they would be up North? DUH

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2015 at 08:13 PM

Any new info?

Thanks!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2015 at 06:24 AM

bump...

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
irenemm
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2015 at 11:06 AM

No march. road thru Vicente Guerrero open not problems
Meeting is going to be held in Ensenada. The people have left here on buses to Ensenada.

stop and visit us

see us on facebook
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.