Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: I'm Out Of Here!
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 06:34 PM

Here's the deal I live in Page.
Take 17 north to Flagstaff, go 89 north to Page DO NOT TURN LEFT AT BITTER SPRINGS FOR JACOB LAKE/KANAB. You'll be sorry if you do. (Don't turn at the gas station at "The Gap" 17 miles before Bitter Springs. Its called 89T (temp) It was the bypass before the road was fixed. Some do but just keep going straight up 89 to Page.
Keep going to the right on 89 (only way to go) at Bitter Springs The road has been fixed. No problem. 1 steep grade there but short. Stay on 89 through Page and over the dam and continue to Kanab. Go right at the signal in Kanab up 89 to Nephi as mentioned earlier. The road is good. Its a nice drive. You don't have to fight 90 MPH cars on 15. Going to 15 through Kanab/Colorado City (Morman polygamists) and on to Hurricane/St George is the LONG way around.
Food in Page is Mickey Ds right by the Wally World as you get into Page There are several fast food places there. Once past Mickey Ds there ain;t much but a Dennys then nothing till Kanab (1 hr). Good Mexican food as you get into Kanab on the right side. After that about another hour till you get any more food at gas stations along the way.
Enjoy the drive, I've done it twice this year alone.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 09:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Here's the deal I live in Page.
Take 17 north to Flagstaff, go 89 north to Page DO NOT TURN LEFT AT BITTER SPRINGS FOR JACOB LAKE/KANAB. You'll be sorry if you do. (Don't turn at the gas station at "The Gap" 17 miles before Bitter Springs. Its called 89T (temp) It was the bypass before the road was fixed. Some do but just keep going straight up 89 to Page.
Keep going to the right on 89 (only way to go) at Bitter Springs The road has been fixed. No problem. 1 steep grade there but short. Stay on 89 through Page and over the dam and continue to Kanab. Go right at the signal in Kanab up 89 to Nephi as mentioned earlier. The road is good. Its a nice drive. You don't have to fight 90 MPH cars on 15. Going to 15 through Kanab/Colorado City (Morman polygamists) and on to Hurricane/St George is the LONG way around.
Food in Page is Mickey Ds right by the Wally World as you get into Page There are several fast food places there. Once past Mickey Ds there ain;t much but a Dennys then nothing till Kanab (1 hr). Good Mexican food as you get into Kanab on the right side. After that about another hour till you get any more food at gas stations along the way.
Enjoy the drive, I've done it twice this year alone.

need to camp for the night. i want to get to Kanab
concerned about heat in page. any campgrounds you would suggest

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 07:43 AM

Well, there are RV parks in Kanab and maybe you want to be in a town.

But if it was me, I'd stay at White House campground, a BLM affair that is south off of 89 between Big Water and Kanab. You will have already gained most of the elevation of Kanab, at this point, so it will only be 1-3 degrees warmer than Kanab, if at all. 5.00/night, honor system.

http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/arolrsmain/paria/coyote_buttes/c...

I dont know how mobile your rig is, or if you are towing but it IS a good dirt road with easy turnaround at the campground. Pretty scenic area, with the Paria River close by. If thunderstorms are threatening, it might not be a good choice, as the road does cross one dry wash.

I'd say you are probably about a half hour shy of Kanab here.

The Mexican restaurant in Kanab the one person is talking about is probably Escobar's and I thought it was very good. On the right side as you enter town, westbound, on 89.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 09:14 AM

We go to Kanab for "Western Legends" White house CG and Escobars are both good ideas...Kanab is a neat poke around town....

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 10:10 AM

SLC - Red Iguana for the mo lay. mole. :saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaUtah
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 11:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

need to camp for the night. i want to get to Kanab
concerned about heat in page. any campgrounds you would suggest

Honestly I'd head up the hill to Bryce. It'll probably still be snowing when you get there.

http://www.recreation.gov/camping/panguitch-lake/r/campgroun...

Here's a nice State campground that will be nice and cool near Panguich. I've pulled off dirt roads off the side of 89 and over-nighted before if you don't want to do a formal camp spot.

Andy
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2015 at 04:18 PM

From Page its 60 miles to Kanab/1 hr. From Paria its @ 35 to 40 mins. You have realistically 1 real hill to pull from House Rock Valley turn off to Paria Townsite on top of the hill after you go through the "first" Paria area.
2 or 3 choices I know of in Kanab to pull into. 2 are inbound into town and 1 is a left turn at the traffic light and 100 yds on the left. It looks to be the best one and always has a large load as its good.
Right now its 102 in Page and 96 in Kanab.
The only real choice in Page is the campground by the lake inside the "park" boundaries called Wahweap Camp Ground. Entrance fee unless you have the USA old folks parks pass. The camp ground is good, lots of spaces to choose from but not really near anything like town just a lake view. You can just pull off to the left side of the hiway on dirt roads to camp for 14 days if you wish. I can tell you where if you need the info. If you want to dry camp by the beach on Lk Powell you can go through Page, over the bridge at the dam and 10 miles later right after the Utah state line is the right turn to Lone Rock Beach. LOTS of folks go there. Lots of boats run back and forth there. You may not get much sleep and be careful, there is soft sand and many get buried up to the axles. Go where the big RVs are not out on your own. Same as Wahweap, entrance fee but free camping on the beach.
The CG in Kanab is only a block or 2 from food. There is a very good Chinese place right near the CG as you walk back toward the traffic signal called Lou's Chinese. Its a hole in the wall "dump" but fantastic food. Right at the signal in Kanab is Nedra's Mexican. Also a good place as is Escobars. Panguitch is another 1 1/2 to 2 hrs from Kanab.
The worst pull you'll have is coming from PHX to Flagstaff. I've done it many times. Its just a pull with a TT.
Trust me, NO SNOW IN BRYCE! :-) and I wouldn't go that way but your choice. Through the canyon there its slow going twisty and turny with LOTS of traffic.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.