Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Time to mod the suspension: Ride Rites and Bilstein 5100s
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 04:46 PM

get some for the front as well since they are adjustable you can level or raise the front.

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 05:25 PM

I did. Front and rear.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-4-2015 at 05:35 PM

wow! my fronts were +/- $90. you scored! when we going south?

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2015 at 12:33 PM

Heading down to San Quintin in a week or two. Back down to my house at Bahia around 10/1 for two weeks.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-30-2015 at 07:06 PM

OKAY, got the front 5100's on today, and set the lift to the first level up from stock (0.85 inches), of the 4 choices (stock, 0.85", 1.75", 2.50"). Next, get the front end alignment checked/ adjusted, as recommended with any front lift.

No photos, and I only drove 5 miles on them, but the truck rides great on the freeway and street, so far.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 11:40 AM

Mine rides very nice as well after installing the 5100's.

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 05:35 PM

Air bags only take the bad ride up and down and send it side to side.

You will learn to hate them.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-31-2015 at 05:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

Not in my case... I had them (these same ones) for three years on my 2005 Tacoma before. It has too soft rear springs and needed help. The Ride Rites solved the issue perfectly!

My 2010 Tacoma had much better rear springs, but after 5 years now, they could use some help... and the Ride Rites are again doing a perfect job. You do understand the stock leaf springs stay on the truck and the air bags simply replace the bump stops giving you adjustable ride height/ and firmness... i.e. no bottoming out. The stock suspension still controls the side to side issue I think you are talking about.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 09:52 AM

David What Cortezblue said on airbags is true. I have installed them on many rigs.Complaints side to side from people. I dont remember what brand.If it has air fill valve with Y fitting.One fitting to fill both bags.thats is your enemy.Install one fill valve,per bag.No more side to side rocking,they work perfect that way. Also My Deisel Nissan I bought KYBs front HD gas shocks.Junk truck bottomed out everywhere,blew out seals/oil on shocks 1 month later.Put 5100s on,works like million bucks no more bottoming out.:D
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 10:22 AM

Yes thanks Larry. My air bags have independent fill valves so no side to side issues. The 5100s are great for our needs I believe.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 01:29 PM

Had new brake pads installed today by my Vista mechanic, Jason (he races motorcycles and used to race Baja)... Gave me a chance to take a photo of the front Bilstein 5100s, since I was not there when he installed them last Saunday...

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 03:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by CortezBlue  

Not in my case... I had them (these same ones) for three years on my 2005 Tacoma before. It has too soft rear springs and needed help. The Ride Rites solved the issue perfectly!

My 2010 Tacoma had much better rear springs, but after 5 years now, they could use some help... and the Ride Rites are again doing a perfect job. You do understand the stock leaf springs stay on the truck and the air bags simply replace the bump stops giving you adjustable ride height/ and firmness... i.e. no bottoming out. The stock suspension still controls the side to side issue I think you are talking about.

After 5 years and the springs need "help". I don't understand. Toyota springs wear out?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 03:50 PM

OH MY! Toyota made in Mexico showing wear? (Drum roll-lightning strike) Aside from that I have airbags on Smokey, mixed feelings on them...I am going to install the Bilsteins front and back before I leave on the fall Safari....Report will follow eventually.....

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 03:54 PM

DK...FYI: The parts vendors show that the Springs for the 2005 and 2010 are the same spring, same part number....I bet yours were "special"

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 03:59 PM

Pictures too chuckie....lots of them......want to see if they look like mine. maybe the colors changed....do you call your Billies as well?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 04:34 PM

No, I call them "spendy"....:o

John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 04:52 PM
Rear spring saga

My 2006 Tacoma 4x4 had a three leaf with overload leaf from the factory. A couple of years later Toyota did a "technical service bulletin" on the rear springs - something to the effect that it wasn't a recall but if the customer complained about bottoming out then the dealer had an option to replace with a four leaf + overload leaf. I convinced my local Toyota dealer that my truck qualified for the replacement and after quite a bit of back and forth they did it. The parting comment from the service writer was "you know, no matter how harsh the new ride you can't get your old springs back!" OK said I.

The four leaf was an improvement in carrying capacity I believe.

Now, within the past year Toyota announced they are doing another rear spring replacement for an issue involving one of the leafs breaking - or something like that. I'm on the waiting list, have been more than six months for that magical phone call.

I decided not to wait and got Deaver 9 (or is it 10) leaf springs. What a ride difference, and loaded I don't hit the stock bump stops any more.

Maybe Toyota should contract with Deaver?? I run Bilstein 5100 on the rear but will upgrade to Icon reservoir shocks to match the front when I win the lottery this Friday, or Sunday, or never.

John M
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 04:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
DK...FYI: The parts vendors show that the Springs for the 2005 and 2010 are the same spring, same part number....I bet yours were "special"

I took photos of the spring numbers on the '05 and the '10 and they are different numbers.

Unless the otherwise identical 4 door 4WD Tacomas (2005 vs. 2010) somehow are different weights, the only explanation for why the 2010 did not bottom-out at the same places the 2005 did would be better/ different rear springs on the 2010.

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 04:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

After 5 years and the springs need "help". I don't understand. Toyota springs wear out?

Yes, do springs on GM trucks not wear out? Really??

chuckie
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2015 at 05:14 PM

I got the data from Toyota and two independent suppliers...I'll call them in the morning and let them know they are wrong...

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.