Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9
Author: Subject: Ocean front dwellers look out
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2015 at 09:44 PM

I went out this morning and stuck a stick in the sand where the water comes up. This afternoon it did not reach it. Now I KNOW that you guys don't know what you are talking about. Its a fact.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 05:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
While it makes sense that vaporizing 100,000,000 years of carbon deposits in the span of a couple centuries should wreak some havoc it still makes sense to keep a critical skepticism with such a politicized topic. That said, my own skepticism took a turn downward recently ...I kept wondering why in the last interglacial period we had high CO2 levels and temps (and that was before humans were barely a twinkle in the Earth's eye). Turns out that the higher temps would be caused by heating of the upper atmosphere due to the Earth's wobbly rotation over the eons. But the rising temps currently are in the lower atmosphere NOT in the upper atmosphere...so that may not have even happened yet.

Thinking is very dangerous, stop it.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 06:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
I went out this morning and stuck a stick in the sand where the water comes up. This afternoon it did not reach it. Now I KNOW that you guys don't know what you are talking about. Its a fact.

check it again over the next 2 weeks. we may be in the low phase of high tides right now.

cbuzzetti
Nomad

Mood: Lookin for a vacation

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 06:38 AM

I watched a show the other day with dragons and they said " Winter is Coming" :cool:

BajaBuzz
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 08:09 AM

Henny Penny

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 08:12 AM

Al Gore predicted a 20 ft. rise in tide by 2013 during his film , "An Inconvenient Truth". So believing everything the good Senator said, I bought on a hill, Same hill, the only good thing is that I get lots of exercise walking down to the water every day.

Now the real question is what do we do about it to really effect any change.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 08:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pescador  
Al Gore predicted a 20 ft. rise in tide by 2013 during his film , "An Inconvenient Truth". So believing everything the good Senator said, I bought on a hill, Same hill, the only good thing is that I get lots of exercise walking down to the water every day.

Now the real question is what do we do about it to really effect any change.

Agree that there is way too much BS being tossed out by both political extremes on the issue. What is becoming harder to deny is that climate change is happening. It is happening on a global level and cannot be measured by the snow level in Vermont in January nor the water level relative to a sandy beach in Baja in July. The comprehensive, planetary evidence is becoming overwhelming. Personally, I believe that this is a cyclic event in our earths ongoing history being exacerbated this time around by humans increasing in numbers, industry and pollution output per capita.

Pescador asks the real question that I wish both sides of this debate would focus solely on instead of spending so much time trying to prove/deny it is happening or calling the other side idiots.

We need to be asking ourselves what can be done to reduce our footprint on this planet, minimize the human contribution to global warming and then focus on how best to deal with what is out of our reach / inevitable.

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 08:54 AM

I have always agreed with what Bajagringo expressed that the proposed solutions to global warming are good in and of themselves independent of the cause of the warming. When I point that out to my friends who think this is a political issue they don't seem to agree. I simply think that a lifestyle that consumes fewer natural resources is good for all of us, but then our species has not shown much ability to act in our own best interests.

The dinosaurs lasted a 180 or so million years, I don't think our species will come close to that.

I just noted that this post was #666, I am obviously a tool of the devil!

[Edited on 7-22-2015 by KurtG]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 09:19 AM

Between now and 2050 the world's population is projected to grow by 33%, from 7.2 to 9.6 billion. With this in mind I can't imagine how we can reduce the amount green house gases that are being released into the atmosphere. Couple that with the anticipated release of methane after the permafrost begins to melt and significant global warming soon, looks inevitable.

If you're concerned about the lives of your young children or grandchildren, buy some property in the cool, clean mountain air. It could become extremely valuable a few decades out.

[Edited on 7-22-2015 by SFandH]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 10:02 AM

What he said ^^

It's the elephant in the room that can't be changed, it would appear ... the desire to "reproduce" ...

Something we picked up in evolution .. The old "Biological Clock" ones hears about

Coupled to the desire for electricity, transportation and a lack of finding a source which does NOT have negative environmental impact, is the challenge we® as humans face as a species

Coal, oil and natural gas ... pretty hard to break away from these as is SEX .. :biggrin::biggrin:

Did see where a "think group" that Bill Gates put together up in British Columbia have created a means to removed CO2 from the atmosphere ... only problem .. It doesn't produce a "Yield" .. It only solves the problem :biggrin::biggrin:

Perhaps the new approach by the Pope may have some degree of merit ... as nothing else has worked thus far

However, I haven't heard from the Pope ... on reproduction levels being established for the world and good luck with that one :lol::lol:

[Edited on 7-22-2015 by wessongroup]
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 10:19 AM

The pressure we are placing on this planet has to have long term effects not just the terrible damage we see man inflicting today.
One thing is certain, change.
Well, I'm going back to the pole house design and a floating vintage trailer to tie up to it :cool:
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 10:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  

Did see where a "think group" that Bill Gates put together up in British Columbia have created a means to removed CO2 from the atmosphere ... only problem .. It doesn't produce a "Yield" .. It only solves the problem :biggrin::biggrin:

Yeah but doesn't the process require burning Bald Eagle heads :?:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 11:10 AM

^^^and harpooning polar bears for their tails!^^^

how else would you get a polar bear tail?

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 11:17 AM

I know for sure the planet is warming, 6 months ago it was down right chilly here and now I'm sweating like crazy. Must be 30 degrees hotter.....funny thing is none of the animals have died.....whodathunkit?:lol:

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 11:19 AM

I will keep trying to herd some of you back to the Milankovitch cycles until you get that the earth WOBBLE changes things drastically every 26,000 years.

I don't think I'll have much success until they change the name to the O'bama cycles. Has a better ring for millions more people in confusion and distress.

[Edited on 7-22-2015 by Osprey]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 11:40 AM

No mention of Eagle heads that I saw ... but, I just skimmed it :biggrin::biggrin:

"Startups have figured out how to remove carbon from the air. Will anyone pay them to do it?"

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2015/jul/14/...

Certainly a different approach ... Harvesting CO2 for reuse in the production of energy, however, there was no mention it would have any impact on population growth

Enjoy it while ya can :):)

Wonder what Baja would be like with a Billion people

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 11:49 AM

I think this may be a first for a "Nomad" thread. Everyone is discussing the topic in a civilized manner. Congratulations to all!!!

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 12:09 PM

I don't even pretend to understand all the arguments pro/con rising seas....BUT there seems to be a LOT of science that says the seas are rising.....We can do no wrong, however, to clean up our acts and our planet "just in case"....Out here on the big prairies, I can find a stick or two, but no oceans to plant it by....

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 01:15 PM

People have shown so far that they are willing to do little things... but to make big changes they are too dependent on fossil fuels.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 7-22-2015 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
People have shown so far that they are willing to do little things... but to make big changes they are too dependent on fossil fuels.

Yes, unfortunately that is true. I was a card carrying republican back in the 80's and admit to voting for Reagan. At the time I remember thinking that he had sent a very mistaken and negative message when it was published that Reagan had ordered the solar panels installed by his predecessor on the White House roof to be removed. The US had the economic, industrial and technology resources at the time to be able to establish itself as a world leader in alternative energy production. Instead, we poo-poo'd that awesome idea, ridiculed the "tree huggers" and gave big oil lobbyists a regular spot on the presidents weekly golf foursome.

Not only did we make ourselves even MORE dependent on oil, in the process we increased the political-economical power of mid east oil barons which further destabilized a region historically at war. And that mid east instability sucked the US into the fight to protect its "oil addiction" which in turn has cost tens of thousands of lives, left countless crippled and after throwing trillions of dollars down that black hole, there are STILL politicians calling for us to go back for more.

Many love to make fun of Jimmy Carter's presidency but he was 100% right on energy. If the US had heeded his warning on oil dependency and instead embarked on a path of developing alternative energy programs, the country today would be much stronger economically, much less dependent on imported oil and be a lot cleaner to boot.

China probably wouldn't hold the mortgage on the country either...

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.