BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: 2016 Tacoma Stats published...
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 12:23 AM

Well, DK lives in the past, still justifying his purchase of a nice lil truck...same old arguments, same avoidance of reality. Same lame comparisons without facts. The Tacoma was and is a nice lil truck shaped vehicle....But not a truck....and not a really good buy either...or a good performer...Lots better choices.....I am still struggling along with old Smokey....

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 06:58 AM

You guys are funny. Reliable and capable are the two top reasons more Tacomas are on the road than all other brands of small or mid size trucks combined. Not everyone needs or wants a big truck. Many trails cannot be accessed by full size puckups either. If we wanted better gas mileage, we wouldn't get a truck or 4x4. My 2010 Tacoma is the best of my 3 Tacomas and it is made in Baja California, too! If you love Baja, it is an additional feather to add in your cap.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 07:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Chevy (GM) quality vs. Toyota is no comparison. Ford is the same story. Everyone I know who got a Ranger were also disappointed... that was what I was going to buy at first, back in 2000. Ford dealer didn't want my trade in, so over to Toyota (where Neal Johns and others suggested), and Toyota earned my loyalty as it has with others... Now I am on my third Tacoma and my wife just got her second new Corolla... oh, what a feeling!

Really? My last Silverado went 205,000 sweat free miles---many Baja miles and mostly of the rest hauling loads for my landscape business--very well built truck. My last Toyota Tacoma self-destructed before 60,000 miles, ending up with a seized engine on Hwy 287 amid the cotton fields of Texas.
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 08:12 AM

Trucks, Tires, Religion, Politics, Climate Change, it is all the same, ain't going to change my mind.
I am right the other side is wrong.
I will defend my point cause it's my point.
Could there be a middle ground?

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 08:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
Trucks, Tires, Religion, Politics, Climate Change, it is all the same, ain't going to change my mind.
I am right the other side is wrong.
I will defend my point cause it's my point.
Could there be a middle ground?

I'm reminded of the sign on my work desk "Let's compromise and do it my way". :saint: :biggrin:

It's all good. Don't sweat the small stuff. :cool:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 09:05 AM

The argument that the Tacoma is not a good truck because it's not a "truck" is useless. It's just a question of definition and has nothing to do with it's reliability.

One hauls cement, furniture, cabover campers and pulls trailers. The other floats over sand dunes and mudflats to take you to remote locations. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 09:14 AM

LOL, well some of you misunderstand my passion for some need to conform. I do not care what you chose to drive in Baja, this thread is just for those interested in what the new 3rd generation Tacoma is offering, since the Tacoma is (by far) the #1 small truck choice of Baja Nomads.

If you need a full-size gasoline truck, I recommend a Tundra, but the Ford Raptor is pretty cool once the weak spindle and any other issues are addressed. In any case, this post was only for those wondering about the 2016 Tacoma and not meant to debate about other brands.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 09:29 AM

Two extremes. I am not buying any truck for reliability. Function over-rides all other considerations. There is a huge list that I work from for my purchases. These two rigs are as far apart reliability wise as any two rigs (VW & Toy) I can think of. IMO, All other trucks are in between. Surely fords and chevys are way closer to the Toyota than any VW such that many owners have never been back to the dealer. I guess its just luck of the draw?
BTW, I did not appreciate the last Toyota I had, Reliability was not one of the things that was very good. I had numerous other functional complaints and have not gone back to that brand.
If the fix the issues I am open to considering a Toy in the future.
=========
Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
The truck on the left 28mpg on the right 18mpg;)

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 09:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
LOL, well some of you misunderstand my passion for some need to conform. I do not care what you chose to drive in Baja, this thread is just for those interested in what the new 3rd generation Tacoma is offering, since the Tacoma is (by far) the #1 small truck choice of Baja Nomads.

If you need a full-size gasoline truck, I recommend a Tundra, but the Ford Raptor is pretty cool once the weak spindle and any other issues are addressed. In any case, this post was only for those wondering about the 2016 Tacoma and not meant to debate about other brands.

Tundra is at the bottom of the list in almost all reviews....but yes it shows what brand loyalty can do.

Tundra ranked #5
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Toyota_Tund...
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 10:35 AM

To me it's not a big thing what brand others choose to drive. It all comes down to personal preferences and should be decided based on how/where you drive and budget. I have owned quite a few different 4x4 brands/models over the years, personally and for business use. I have seen it all. Range Rover, GMC, Toyota, Mercedes, Ford, Jeep, Dodge and more. Each had their good/bad sides and after all that experience I choose to stick with Ford. I currently have two F150's and an Expedition, all 4x4's and all have served me extremely well. I take excellent mechanical care of all my vehicles. My 2004 F-150 is about to go over 200K miles and it looks and runs like new; not even so much as a squeak or rattle and the 4x4 performs flawlessly. Living where we do it does test your vehicle and my Fords have never let me down. My GMC and Dodge trucks never did either but the GMC started developing squeaks and rattles at about 80K miles and the interior details didn't hold up so well on my Dodge over the washboard either. My mechanic was spending more time with my Jeep than I did - never anything major, but always one small thing after another.

Over the years we suffered catastrophic failures by Mercedes, Range Rover and Toyota, in spite of all the regular maintenance and care. They all performed well up to 50K miles but after that, problems began to occur. My experience is that these brands and others are good for occasional off-road, rugged use but over the long haul they simply were not designed to take the daily abuse of washboard/rocky conditions and other wear and tear that comes with living out here where we do.

I have many friends who own and love their Toyotas. Not one of them drive their trucks under the daily conditions that I do. You just have to match your vehicle to your personal preferences, lifestyle and budget.

I think that it is very cool to drive a truck that was built in Baja.

YMMV

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 10:47 AM

Thanks Ron... as you and other state, nothing is 100% perfect. So, we just have to come close!

Ford is highly regarded here and perhaps the best big truck for most Nomads? My dad's last vehicle was a Ford wagon, and it made the Baja run before the highway was completed... Nothing went wrong with it, but it was a 1973 model, and most American brands were still all great back then!

Again, this thread is only about the new 3rd Gen Tacoma features for those interested... sorry it got to become a debate on models or brands.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 02:09 PM

Ron, you are absolutely correct....plus you have to keep up with the current models. Rams have updated their models to be top rated...and GMC/Chevrolet (oh my god) are rated half way decently, Ford has their new aluminum body 150.. the world changes...for some.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Ron, you are absolutely correct....plus you have to keep up with the current models. Rams have updated their models to be top rated...and GMC/Chevrolet (oh my god) are rated half way decently, Ford has their new aluminum body 150.. the world changes...for some.

My only problem with going with the very newest models down here away from the border is that they tend to have a lot more electronics which in turn means a lot more sensors = a lot more that can (and will) go wrong. It is relatively easy to get a correct mechanical diagnosis down here as well as parts for trucks that are 5-10 years old. New models, not so much.

Not that I am not tempted by the new trucks out there...

[Edited on 8-26-2015 by BajaGringo]

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 02:50 PM

I became more comfortable as people (government/ranchos/businesses) started using the newer truck...requiring more electronic diagnostics. The new vehicles--everything, including the radio, is computer controlled.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 03:13 PM

Would You Pay $70,000 For Ford’s 2016 F-150 Limited?

Pricey pick-up to cruise to the taco stand.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/would-you-pay-70k-for-...

At least it will hold an 8 foot 2x4 inside the bed. ;)

[Edited on 8-26-2015 by SFandH]
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2015 at 03:56 PM

2016 Taco Limited with a 5' bed? Shocking. It's a good truck, drove one awhile back, got a F-150. Have had a couple F150s, one F250 and current F350 (6.0 SRW, Lariat, crew cab, Super Duty, turbo diesel. Around 24 mpg highway, about 12 mpg towing my 3k pound CRV. Best truck I ever had.

The Taco would work with a camper shell or folding camper. Pay Load isn't there but it's a nice pickup. Friend has a newer Tundra that I don't think much of. He loves it.

Taco can go in the sand and a better Baja vehicle. Won't be taking my 7k pound diesel to the beach. It tows my 15k pound 5ver like it's not there.

Check back on the Chevy Colorado in a couple years. It's too new.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2015 at 10:22 AM

I thought the special guest might be David K.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/toyota-video-with-a-spec...
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-11-2015 at 09:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I thought the special guest might be David K.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/toyota-video-with-a-spec...

I am less hairy!

Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2015 at 11:37 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/09/11/toyota-t...

and...I love my Tacoma 4X4, my 3rd one. Other car...4Runner, 4th one.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 9-11-2015 at 02:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jack Swords  
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/09/11/toyota-t...

and...I love my Tacoma 4X4, my 3rd one. Other car...4Runner, 4th one.

Anybody catch the model name mistake (near the end)?

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.