Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: auto painting
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 10:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
I don't see posting my biz card as a benefit to me as I'm already swamped with work..

So why toot your own horn so loud here. :?:

Hell of a way to attract "biz"ness isn't it.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 02:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
I've painted a few cars...

I don't understand..."cheap paint does not last long"

prep work and sealer is what makes a good paint job...
not the price of the paint
Ok it was my work for only 45 years,prep work,sealer cheap paint does not last.Prep work,sealer good quality paint long lasting.Urethane paint,with hardner Name brand like PPG or others last.Non name brand Urethane left out in sun,can go bad in few years. Hope this helps you.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 02:37 PM

maybe 45 years ago there was "bad" paint...but not today
todays car paints are great

I recently talked to some people from bmw...they use a water type paint...no bad paint jobs on those cars

there ARE different kinds of paints

but if your paint goes bad in a few years...the painter failed NOT the paint

and paint is expensive...last paint I bought for a car ran me over $400 for paint primer hardner sealer and reducers
and that was just for the paint not the time to prepare

most people think the body damage is included in the paint job...its not and there is ALWAYS body work to do

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 08:05 PM

I recently talked to some people from bmw...they use a water type paint...no bad paint jobs on those cars

and paint is expensive...last paint I bought for a car ran me over $400 for paint primer hardner sealer and reducers
and that was just for the paint not the time to prepare

most people think the body damage is included in the paint job...its not and there is ALWAYS body work to do

Ok misunderstanding,I have done the work for over 45years,and shop onwer.Please listen,When you bring your car to Mexico to paint,There is cheap paint,thats what they will use.Yes the paint will fail.They sell paint that is for fleet painting.Means cheap paint,the onwer of fleet cars trucks does not care.As they will sell in few years,before paint goes bad.Im trying to help you.If you only care about paint lasting,few years then.Just tell them paint it,if you want it to last.Buy it in Mexico,give to the shop to use.Not my first rodeo.

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 08:18 PM

Navarro's body shop in Algodones does good work.
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 9-14-2015 at 09:07 PM

Bob,
The water base paints you are talking about are known as water born coatings. You see all the cars that have paint coming off in large patches? That is because the top coat is not compatible with the prime coat (factory) paint.

:P So even those who paint hundreds of thousands cars don't always get it right in the name of environmental coatings. Stick with what you know in your profession. Paint is not one of them! Hope I didn't use words you are not familiar with.:P
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 04:02 AM
cheap BOB

[Edited on 9-15-2015 by captkw]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 06:12 AM

You should have bought the cheapest paint. Like you said, the cheap paints are just as good as the expensive paints, eh?
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by UnoMas  
Bob,
The water base paints you are talking about are known as water born coatings. You see all the cars that have paint coming off in large patches? That is because the top coat is not compatible with the prime coat (factory) paint.

:P So even those who paint hundreds of thousands cars don't always get it right in the name of environmental coatings. Stick with what you know in your profession. Paint is not one of them! Hope I didn't use words you are not familiar with.:P
This is very true about water base coatings.In Calif they have rules about what paint you can and cannot use.Also what do people that paint BMWs have in common.With Mexicans in Baja painting cars.Nothing.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 08:15 AM

I do not know where some people get their info. One of the painters in Santa Rosalia uses PPG/OMNI. So does the one in Vizcaino.
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 02:34 PM

PPG Hi quality. Omni mid level paint.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 02:37 PM

PPG makes OMNI.
1Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: UP

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 05:56 PM
Shari Bahia Asuncion

this sounds like a great place - can you tell me the name and location? I have not been to Asuncion but have heard some good things about it so it could be worth a visit there for several reasons - was the 1200 in pesos or american ?

thanks for this lead!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-15-2015 at 06:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
PPG makes OMNI.

Ppg makes many paints, under many brands. Like all paint mfgs, in each product line they make paints for cheap customers and more demanding customers.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 06:00 AM

example...

windex sold at costco under the costco name COULD be windex

if it comes out of the "windex machine" at the windex factory
but is labeled costco window cleaner...isn't it still windex

doesn't paint come out of a big paint machine?

our website is:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 08:34 AM

example...

windex sold at costco under the costco name COULD be windex

if it comes out of the "windex machine" at the windex factory
but is labeled costco window cleaner...isn't it still windex

doesn't paint come out of a big paint machine?
Poor example.
There's a little more to making paint than making Windex.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 09:00 AM

really?
I think windex is a wonder product

our website is:
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2015 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
PPG makes OMNI.
You just answered the Question for all of us.Yes on PPG makes OMNI line.Witch is there cheap brand.You want to use Urethane/with hardner.Also Most all Cars/trucks are clear coated from factory.Clear coats are great,But after the painter.Sprays the base coat (color coat),and does not get first coat of Clear on.In 15min time frame,it will peal off.Single stage Urethane good choice for older truck.If you have carport/or garage and park you truck.When not in use,5/10 times life of aftermarket paint job.Also most Baja painters use Lacquer based primer,and lacquer based spot putty.If your truck needs primer,buy him Polyester/harded primer.All good supplies are available in in Mexico,Paint jobbers.
Bajavanadu
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2016 at 06:26 PM

Any recommendations for a cheap paint job in rosarito or ensenada? Just a blow and go?
pacsur
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2016 at 05:15 AM

I am one of those in agreement that a higher quality paint with a hardner will look good and last the longest if applied properly, also if properly maintained.
Of course preparation is key to any coating lasting, so that no issues start under the coating, but the paint coating is what seals the body from the elements, added clear coats are just clear paint without pigment..
Most high end shops in the states color sand everything, then apply multiple clear coats over the color coat, and sand and polish again to complete.
I had my 4 door Toyota Tacoma painted after Odile, minor body work from storm, my guy used imron and the cost was about $400 usd.
Also, after owning a metal finishing shop in Los Cabos for some time I have seen many types of coatings and how they wear and last with the local climate here, we must sandblast everything to bare metal before applying a dry powder coating, then we heat the pieces to basically melt the coating and bond to the metal.
Epoxy liquid paints are the most difficult to remove while sandblasting, and I believe offer the best liquid coating protection from the elements.
From my experience the lifespan of most quality finishes can be extended down here by doing 2 things, waxing when possible, and just washing off your vehicles, railings, or patio furniture that is outside and exposed to salt and uv with fresh water a couple of times a week.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.