Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Rookie question RE: oars on boat
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  
Get a scull.

Great Idea. Bahia Concepcion, rowing on the morning glass would be perfect. Nice hybrid rowboat/scull.

[Edited on 10-10-2015 by SFandH]
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 03:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
Quote: Originally posted by Cisco  
Get a scull.

Great Idea. Bahia Concepcion, rowing on the morning glass would be perfect. Nice hybrid rowboat/scull.

[Edited on 10-10-2015 by SFandH]

SF. I was referring to the oar, not the boat.

A sculling oar will work fine on the boat he has.

Sorry for the confusion.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 04:08 PM

I know. Your post reminded me of my rowing days in an eight man boat catching crabs. 8^)

A sculling oar might be a bit too long and expensive.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 04:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  
I know. Your post reminded me of my rowing days in an eight man boat catching crabs. 8^)

A sculling oar might be a bit too long and expensive.

I made mine. Oars are a pretty easy deal. That was for a 6,000 lb. 25' steel, displacement boat.

His smaller, lighter, boat would be fine with an 11' oar and the ends can be used for any attachments, boat hook, gaff, people-puller-outer,....
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 04:25 PM

You can never be too paranoid on the ocean...she is fickle and will screw you up if given the chance and/or you are unprepared. Always have a pdf, a radio, good anchor, chain and lots and lots of line...oh and extra beer and water and emergency food and first aid stuff!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 05:11 PM

http://www.instantboats.com/

Dynamite has a tutorial in there about e-z building oars with hand tools, proper design,...didn't take the time to look it up but if interested go through his stuff.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
Quote " As long as you have a Yamaha engine you do not need to worry about it giving out." NOW, I have heard it all...LOL..btw I work on Yammys and they break,stop,run like chit...any & all outboards can have issue's...If U would like to learn more about them.. I invite you to check out "Yamaha outboard forum" and u will see that many,many folks have problems with them and parts cost three arms and four legs...

[Edited on 10-10-2015 by captkw]

I know you are the world's expert on all things marine. If you don't believe that, you can just ask you. I happen to work with a large number of commercial fishermen in my area and I can say, without a doubt, that the outboard motor of choice, in our area, is the Yamaha outboard. Now that is probably only thousands of years of experience with a couple hundred fishermen, but you are right, I should have checked with his highness first. Do you repair motors as well as you write?

CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 05:42 PM

Hey Howard, haven't you seen the Triumph Boat commercials? They drop them off buildings and pull them down the road without a trailer and launch them in the water. Forget the small stuff put it in the water and go catch a fish. We'll keep our radio set on channel 78:cool:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 05:44 PM
smart ass

yes< fix motors better than I type,,I don't need to type well, as I seem to get my point over to the person reading my bad typing...I hope your Yammy blows up on you with all your bad mojo !! Get A GRIP !! Oh,, I forgot, I work at 7/11
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 09:24 PM

Yamaha motors dominate in the Northwest. I have 2 Yamaha 150's on a 26 ft Defiance and they have been flawless with great fuel economy. There are a lot of less expensive filters and other accessories available to avoid high priced Yamaha extras for maintenance.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 09:51 AM
Mercury sue's yamaha

and won in fed court...mercury marine sued Yamaha for " dumping" motors in the usa.. and WON..they also dumped in mexico and Canada..its got nothing to do about how good a yammy is ..if that is about your only choice to buy (DUH) and if you go to any boat race you WILL NOT see one Yamaha motor..its a wagon wheel mental thing....just because a bunch of panga's are now running a yammy has nothing to do with how good of a motor they are..first it was Johnson/ evinrude's,, then there where a lot of mercs,, now there is yammys and that is only due to the fact of lower prices to the dealers in mexico and the northwest and other area's...if you work on these motors for a living,, you also must know more than just how to fix um !! and mono, as far as a dealer is concerned.. the yammy mech at the local deal hurt his back and had to quit,Now they have some kid that's been in the biz maybe like 3/4 years and are known for doing all kinds of OOps !! MERCURY made in the USA
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 12:40 PM

This near disaster took place a hundred yds off the Redondo breakwater many years ago and show the many ways we can mess up in the salt :lol:
I and my very pregnant wife,myDad and mother were messing around with some bonita but it was time to head home so Dad was in the process of starting the big Merck and I was putting all the gear away, something I forgot to mention there were some very large swells coming in and crashing on the breakwater.
The big Merck would not start !! I got a sinking feeling in my gut about that time but Dad said never "never fear folks I always come prepared" he picked up this bag and out comes a little 2/hp kicker and I started feeling a little already BUT IT WOULD NOT START mean while we are getting closer to the breakwater :o
People are starting to gather to watch the coming disaster and there was only one boat in sight and they didn't seem to see the problem we were having,the breakwater is now much closer and Mother is crying and I;m putting a lifejacket on everyone,but Dad says never fear folks I have one more remedy to th problem and there he is with a anchor in hand and a smile on his face.
By now I,m waving at that boat maybe he will see us now,over the side goes the anchor and that breakwater is closer,
Dad says the anchor won't take and he can't get it to hold what the hell is wrong with it so we bring it in and NO ANCHOR:o
just a length of chain,Dad had just wired a few turns on the anchor some time ago and they had rusted through.
There you have it two motors that won't start and a anchor that fell off and the breakwater is right there!!
Well that boat saw me waving my ass off and came in passed us a line and saved the day,motto you can't be to prepared.
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2015 at 08:25 AM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
and won in fed court...mercury marine sued Yamaha for " dumping" motors in the usa.. and WON..they also dumped in mexico and Canada..its got nothing to do about how good a yammy is ..if that is about your only choice to buy (DUH) and if you go to any boat race you WILL NOT see one Yamaha motor..its a wagon wheel mental thing....just because a bunch of panga's are now running a yammy has nothing to do with how good of a motor they are..first it was Johnson/ evinrude's,, then there where a lot of mercs,, now there is yammys and that is only due to the fact of lower prices to the dealers in mexico and the northwest and other area's...if you work on these motors for a living,, you also must know more than just how to fix um !! and mono, as far as a dealer is concerned.. the yammy mech at the local deal hurt his back and had to quit,Now they have some kid that's been in the biz maybe like 3/4 years and are known for doing all kinds of OOps !! MERCURY made in the USA

You know if you were smart enough to state your "Humble" opinion it would be one thing, but when you come on here posting and making yourself the expert on all things marine, I for one find it boring and self centered. My pappy used to say, if he was so cotton Picking smart, how come he is so cotton picking' broke? I am sure you have no interest in changing any of your approach, so it is easier if I just scroll through your postings because I have yet to see anything of value.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2015 at 08:48 AM

Here is the JD Powers report, which is at least a little bit scientific about there test results for 4 stroke outboard motors.
Outboard EFI Four-Stroke Segment
Honda ranks highest among outboard EFI four-stroke engine manufacturers, performing particularly well in starting ease, shifting smoothness and reliability. Yamaha follows Honda in the rankings, while Suzuki ranks third in the segment.

Among the four engine types included in the study, outboard EFI four-stroke engines have particularly high quality, with just 51 PP100. Transmission problems is the most frequently reported issue among owners of this marine engine type.

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2015 at 11:11 AM

We've gone through quite a few mercurys and evinrudes up in Canada. We only buy Japanese motors now. Those Merc's only lasted 5 years and that was in fresh water.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2015 at 09:40 PM
Only five years

You must have a fool for a mech/tech or you don't have a Clue how to take care of a outboard motor..It"s one and/or the other....If you think for sec that a Yammy can compare/compete with a Real merc motor,, your out of left field.... were these motors 4 stroke in the 75 to 115 HP range....If Yes,, that's a Yammy power head on a merc gear case... for anyone to put down mercury marine is a bad,bad joke....number one on the water !! for almost forever it was OMC and Mercury, Then all these other makes stole their design and changed a washer/nut and starting making outboards...FACT !!:no: Flood the market and the sheep will follow..... any racer will just look at you and laugh in your face !! Jap Crap,,,,,,Who won that War,anyway ??

[Edited on 10-14-2015 by captkw]
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 04:24 AM

Hey Capt.klowny. You are a bit off topic.If you donīt understand these big words pm someone and maybe they will explain.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 04:42 AM
Hey chippy

did you take your meds ?? you don't make any sense !!
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2015 at 08:16 AM

Hey dopey have you noticed what the title of this thread is?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.