BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Any Nomads on Social Security?
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 05:28 PM

I've been receiving SS for 9 years now. I think the government will have to get wise to people like me who really don't need it and require that recipients have an income that requires assistance. The fund is going broke.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 06:27 PM

[rquote=1003333&tid=80518&autho=DENNIS]

Social Security withdrawals from wages are a zero interest loan to the government.[/rquote]

You've been on the dole and milking the disability system since 'nam. Who are you to talk?

Btw, it's not a loan system, it a pay as you go system. If you live long enough you reap much more than you put in.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 07:44 PM

I like SS and think it is a good deal for most people. But if you would have invested the same amount of money over the years you would have a lot more. That's usually the argument some give against it. However very few would do it and would end up in the poor house. Most Americans like to spend everything they make on toys and things they want not need.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 08:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
I've been receiving SS for 9 years now. I think the government will have to get wise to people like me who really don't need it and require that recipients have an income that requires assistance. The fund is going broke.

You don't have to accept it. You can return it to the Government or donate to your favorite charity if you have a guilty concience.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-12-2015 at 08:10 PM
FDR's Scam gone Awry

The plan was NOT designed to be "Pay as you Go", but "Pay and Go".

Before you got to 65.

The intended financial "safety-feature" (for the government) behind the ploy was to make the eligibility threshold (65) just beyond the average expected lifespan (62) which would make today's recipients wait until about 80 or so.

BTW, IF we are going to "means test" the system, how about going BACK to the concept that eligibility is tied directly to WHAT the recipient actually paid in and forget those "Alternate" computations ?

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2015 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by MrBillM  
The plan was NOT designed to be "Pay as you Go", but "Pay and Go".

Before you got to 65.

The intended financial "safety-feature" (for the government) behind the ploy was to make the eligibility threshold (65) just beyond the average expected lifespan (62) which would make today's recipients wait until about 80 or so.

BTW, IF we are going to "means test" the system, how about going BACK to the concept that eligibility is tied directly to WHAT the recipient actually paid in and forget those "Alternate" computations ?

So, you sit in your single wide by the Salton Sea and collect social security and pontificate?
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2015 at 05:10 PM

I'll be eligible for SS this coming December and I will be taking it.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 10-16-2015 at 06:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
I like SS and think it is a good deal for most people. But if you would have invested the same amount of money over the years you would have a lot more. That's usually the argument some give against it. However very few would do it and would end up in the poor house. Most Americans like to spend everything they make on toys and things they want not need.

This is a popular misconception and not true for most Americans. When you actually do the math on a defined contribution plan vs a defined benefit plan like SSN that has a COLA, there are crossover ages where you profit immensely with the benefit plan. With the low interest rates, you have to have $100k in savings to generate $4k per year (4% safe withdrawal rate). And there is no COLA. The length of time you draw is the key. Most calculators will show a benefit to early claims until you're around 80 years old, then it would be better to wait and claim at full age or later (like 70) if you will live until your 90's.

Being married to a person with significant bennies is another twist in the game and if one person has higher income or is younger/older, it all needs to be factored into the equation. There are multiple calculators on line, one that I've used is here: http://individual.troweprice.com/public/Retail/Retirement/So...

We're all just one Medical Adventure from ruining any calculator but having a plan is better than winging it, IMHO. I plan to use my SSN as wisely as possible, I've paid in since I was 12 years old and feel that I've EARNED my reward, not an entitlement that I'll give up without a fight.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2015 at 07:36 PM

Only the ones that paid in should receive the benefits.
bajaunbob

[*] posted on 10-17-2015 at 07:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaunbob  
Let's just hope the usd keeps rising vs the mxn peso to make up for no raise in our SS benefit.

HOW long have you been in Mexico? Haven't you noticed, every time the peso devalues, the price tags go up in the stores? As in, same day? Keep dreamin'..... death and taxes. Grandma said, "Cheer up, 'cause things will get worse"....
So I did, and they did. You actually think you're gonna get ahead, or just break even, huh. :lol: :no:
All I know is that I'm saving about $40 usd on my monthly rent. And saving about .60 usd per gallon on diesel cost vs last year at this time. That works for me!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2015 at 10:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  

This is a popular misconception and not true for most Americans. When you actually do the math on a defined contribution plan vs a defined benefit plan like SSN that has a COLA, there are crossover ages where you profit immensely with the benefit plan. With the low interest rates, you have to have $100k in savings to generate $4k per year (4% safe withdrawal rate). And there is no COLA. The length of time you draw is the key. Most calculators will show a benefit to early claims until you're around 80 years old, then it would be better to wait and claim at full age or later (like 70) if you will live until your 90's.

Sweetwater you got me thinking so I went into my SS files and found that in 3 more years (I'll be 73) and I will have drawn all the money I and my employer paid into SS over the years. After that it's gravy so to speak. Not a bad deal after all, if I live for a while.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2015 at 11:26 PM

TMW.....thinking for your self is dangerous to many who rail against big government and have no stake in their own future. They often claim to be 'victims of circumstance' without any influence on their destiny or outcome. Stay healthy, live long and prosper.

:coolup:

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 02:14 PM

. Stay healthy, live long and prosper.

That's the ticket....however doesn't always work that way.:no:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 03:30 PM

If you were/are a teacher with a pension, or were/are married to a person with a government pension, this bill might be of interest.

Right now: even if you have paid into Social Security, and are eligible to receive payments upon retirement, if you or your spouse also receive a government pension you will lose a portion of your SocSec each month- about $400 under current rates.

This may have made sense when SocSec was first introduced 70 years ago, but given the low amount of most teachers' pension and salary it doesn't make much sense today.

Details:
2/13/2015--Introduced.
Social Security Fairness Act of 2015

Amends title II (Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance) (OASDI) of the Social Security Act to repeal the government pension offset requirement applicable to and reducing husband's and wife's insurance benefits, widow's and widower's insurance benefits, and divorced mother's and divorced father's insurance benefits with respect to federal, state, or local government employees who receive a government pension and did not pay Social Security taxes during their years of government service, and so did not earn entitlement to Social Security benefits for those years.

Repeals also the windfall elimination requirement with respect to computation of an individual's primary insurance amount under which OASDI retirement or disability benefits are reduced if the individual receives a federal, state, or local government pension, did not pay Social Security taxes during the years of government service, and so did not earn entitlement to Social Security benefits for those years.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 03:37 PM

So, I wonder if this is passed, will it be retroactive???....

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  
If you were/are a teacher with a pension, or were/are married to a person with a government pension, this bill might be of interest.

Right now: even if you have paid into Social Security, and are eligible to receive payments upon retirement, if you or your spouse also receive a government pension you will lose a portion of your SocSec each month- about $400 under current rates.

This may have made sense when SocSec was first introduced 70 years ago, but given the low amount of most teachers' pension and salary it doesn't make much sense today.

Details:
2/13/2015--Introduced.

Amends title II (Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance) (OASDI) of the Social Security Act to repeal the government pension offset requirement applicable to and reducing husband's and wife's insurance benefits, widow's and widower's insurance benefits, and divorced mother's and divorced father's insurance benefits with respect to federal, state, or local government employees who receive a government pension and did not pay Social Security taxes during their years of government service, and so did not earn entitlement to Social Security benefits for those years.

Repeals also the windfall elimination requirement with respect to computation of an individual's primary insurance amount under which OASDI retirement or disability benefits are reduced if the individual receives a federal, state, or local government pension, did not pay Social Security taxes during the years of government service, and so did not earn entitlement to Social Security benefits for those years.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 03:45 PM

Being married to a person with significant bennies is another twist in the game and if one person has higher income or is younger/older, it all needs to be factored into the equation. There are multiple calculators on line, one that I've used is here: http://individual.troweprice.com/public/Retail/Retirement/So...

We're all just one Medical Adventure from ruining any calculator but having a plan is better than winging it, IMHO. I plan to use my SSN as wisely as possible, I've paid in since I was 12 years old and feel that I've EARNED my reward, not an entitlement that I'll give up without a fight.

all that to say no COLA this year for the third time in 40 years! all hail Obama!

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
So, I wonder if this is passed, will it be retroactive???....

Quote: Originally posted by Whale-ista  

Details:
2/13/2015--Introduced.

Amends title II (Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance) (OASDI) of the Social Security Act to repeal the government pension offset requirement applicable...

Great question- not sure. It would be a great benefit for many famlies.

There is an identical companion bill in the Senate, SB 1651. Both are in committees. In the House: Ways & Means (Paul Ryan chairs); in Senate: Finance.
Bills have been there, since February, with no action taken.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 04:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

all that to say no COLA this year for the third time in 40 years! all hail Obama!

Yes, thanks to steady leadership and a totally obstructive GOP Congress, the inflation rate which erodes senior buying power has been negative. You can actually buy more (especially pesos) with your USDollar this year vs last year.

:O

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 05:03 PM

The primary cause of this year's low inflation is the price of gasoline. Steady leadership or the Congress can claim no credit for that. Most everything else we purchase has increased this year! Food, automobiles, rents, real estate medical costs, etc. all have increased.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-18-2015 at 05:13 PM

Is you like SS, then vote democrat. If you want to see SS and Medicare gutted, taken away, then vote for GOP and tea baggers. The choice is clear.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.