Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: How To Buy Your FMM Online - Step By Step Guide
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2016 at 12:17 PM

Here's a question-
If a certain person gets elected President AND does build an impenetrable wall what do you all think the retaliation will be if one shows up somewhere in Baja without YOUR papers?

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-18-2016 at 12:25 PM

So, you are saying people in Mexico do not have respect for other countries and it is okay for some of their citizens to break into the U.S. without using the border crossings?

Do you, as an American support fellow Americans violating Mexican law and crossing into Mexico in the middle of the desert? Would you harass Mexicans traveling in America if Mexico built a wall to stop illegal crossings into their country?

Shouldn't the laws of illegal border crossing be applied to both sides? If it is mutually agreed that everyone should use the legal crossings, then everyone should not be opposed to a wall so that everyone does use the legal crossing.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2016 at 01:00 PM

No don't get me wrong. I get an FMM every time I cross. I think everyone should also even if it is never asked for as ES LA LEY!
Following their laws shows respect for their country.
If we crack down on illegal immigration I would think they would also. Show respect for their country and get an FMM. It's no big deal to do.

You chose your position in life today by what YOU did yesterday
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-18-2016 at 01:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
No don't get me wrong. I get an FMM every time I cross. I think everyone should also even if it is never asked for as ES LA LEY!
Following their laws shows respect for their country.
If we crack down on illegal immigration I would think they would also. Show respect for their country and get an FMM. It's no big deal to do.

Great, I wasn't thinking anything about FMMs, just crossing the border illegally. If it is wrong for us to do, it should be wrong for them, as well. What does a wall have to do with how we are treated in Mexico if we all agree to honor each other's border. There has been a wall or fence along much of the border as long as I have been going to Mexico. I only wish that Mexico would become an economic paradise for Mexicans, so there is no need for them to leave their country to support their families! I also wish that our own economy can recover back to the days before 2009 when my family could travel more.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2016 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

i.e. car accident, injure a National, whatever

That is my concern, I've never been asked for a Mex fishing
lic either, or had to use a Mex Ins policy, no reason to have
those either. Mex makes it VERY simple to visit their Country,
I comply with their regs, some want to save the $24, that is
what drives the non compliance, and that is
their progative

Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 2-18-2016 at 07:24 PM

I've never had a problem crossing south through Guerrero Negro. Coming north, I've had to present FMM, or they get real cranky.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2016 at 07:36 PM

I've never been asked for anything at the state line except for the pittance to get my tires sprayed. No one ever notices me Northbound.

What I would like to sort out would be to get my FMM online, cross at Tecate and then get it stamped somewhere else so I didn't have to creep around the block and park to get it stamped. When towing it is awkward.

25 years ago I went to the migration office in Ensenada to get my FMM (called something else then) and got a mild lecture and a grumpy look and told that he would do it this time but in the future to get it at the border.

In the past I had been entering by boat and was accustomed to dealing with it in Ensenada. Now I pull around the block at Tecate, do the dance with the nice people and tip the parking guy a buck.

This year Southbound I was hauling a bunch of stuff, some of it new, for my house. They looked my load over fairly careful and we settled on a number and the tax was about $60. Nothing. I get so much from this country that I pay what taxes I know of with a smile. Including things like the FMM fee.
Carol
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2016 at 07:42 PM

I tried this in November, it took my money and never printed me the FMM. I showed the Immigration lady what I had and she said no good so I had to pay again. Maybe they have it working now. My hubby just did everything at the broder and was done before me.
geoffff
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2016 at 03:28 PM

This site has the border crossing name synonyms listed, such as Mexicali II = Mexicali East

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/tpp/offices/ogm/international_borde...

I was all for getting my FMM online, but then I realized I need to specify exactly when I'm crossing the border (as well as which border). My road trips always have a few days of uncertainty, so I can't commit to a date / place.

-- Geoff

2004 Sportsmobile 4x4
http://octopup.org/baja
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-27-2016 at 05:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
Here's a question-
If a certain person gets elected President AND does build an impenetrable wall what do you all think the retaliation will be if one shows up somewhere in Baja without YOUR papers?

That certain person has zero chance of being elected.
Borregoman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 06:00 PM

I filled out and purchased the 180 day FMM online.

I am going to be delayed one week from the original date of entry that I put on the FMM,.

Do you foresee any problems with getting stamped a week later than originally indicated?
spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 08:00 AM

If we stay in Baja Norte never going farther south than Gonzaga bay, are we required to get an FMM? I have read online that it is now required for any travel to Mx even beyond border towns, but the locals we will be traveling with say to not get it. I am inclined to get it, but we will have 10 cars rolling through the border and I am not the trip leader. I have no problem paying for it, but need to stay with the group.

I agree, if you have any trouble in Mx, best to have all your documents in order.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 08:16 AM

There are no more "Free Zones". You need an FMM. The locals either do not know the law or do not care about the law. Stop and get the FMM

Quote: Originally posted by spikemd  
If we stay in Baja Norte never going farther south than Gonzaga bay, are we required to get an FMM? I have read online that it is now required for any travel to Mx even beyond border towns, but the locals we will be traveling with say to not get it. I am inclined to get it, but we will have 10 cars rolling through the border and I am not the trip leader. I have no problem paying for it, but need to stay with the group.

I agree, if you have any trouble in Mx, best to have all your documents in order.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 08:39 AM

FMM summary and my comments
Sure enough nobody ever checks after you get past the border heading south. However the migration guy at the border may stop you and tell you to buy the thing.
Its like having on not having a driver license. One never needs one until stopped or have an accident. Then you wish you had it. Consequences for no FMM varies from one Mx official to another. Worst thing is to get deported. Why invite the hassle?

Regarding online purchase. Why bother since you have to stop at the border to get it validated anyway. And the line at the payment place is always short for FMMs even though there will be a long line for people paying duties.

And for a short visit you can stop at the border and get a no cost FMM

Never return or discard the FMM when heading north because its good for 180 days.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 09:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajavanadu  
I've never obtained a fmm before and have never been asked for one by anyone when I travel in northern baja, punta cabras, gonzaga, etc. What is the worst case scenario if I am caught without a fmm, mordida/fine, vehicle impoundment, arrest?

It is really hard to say what will happen. It depends on which official you run into. Most likely you will be given 48 hours to leave the country (as has happened to me). Maybe you will be just fine and nothing will happen. I guess the worst scenario is a car crash and you have no papers.

A lot of goody two shoes on this board that will tell you "it is the law" "you are very lucky not to have been caught" ...don't listen to them.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 09:10 AM

Why not listen???. Is it being a "goody two shoes" to advise people to comply with the law of another country??

Quote: Originally posted by Martyman  

A lot of goody two shoes on this board that will tell you "it is the law" "you are very lucky not to have been caught" ...don't listen to them.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Why not listen???. Is it being a "goody two shoes" to advise people to comply with the law of another country??

With you on that, 'goody two shoes' , a rather irresponsible reply. I'm a little hincky about driving in Mex, so anything I
can do to stay within Mex regs, I will do. Until Mex enforces
some sort of penalty for illegal tourists, like MONETARY, some
tourists will ignore the Imm regs and save the $24. To me
Mex makes it very easy to visit with few regs
23S52N
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-16-2016 at 02:54 PM

Some people's minds and attitudes are stuck in the 60s when it comes to Mexican laws. Ignore them and have a good time, it's only Mexico.

So ignore them, and enjoy whining to your cell mate when your fat ass is arrested. INM is not your local mordida grabbing poblado policia.....go ahead, make their day....then add some cheese to your whine when you tell everyone how you were mistreated here. (and I'm not going to bother rolling my eyes).

Stupid gringos, Madre de Dios.

Keith
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2016 at 11:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by spikemd  
If we stay in Baja Norte never going farther south than Gonzaga bay, are we required to get an FMM? I have read online that it is now required for any travel to Mx even beyond border towns,

1) Yes, you are.
2) Yes. The "border town" in your case would be San Felipe. And, it is not just "now" - it's been like this for many years. Enforcement is another thing.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.