Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Hola from La Paz.
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2005 at 10:26 AM
Yea, I think its the same place we have stayed.

Both places are the same. Sorry you missed out on it Tim. Like Sara, Iwould like to go inside. I{ll be sure to ask Alberto about your Dad, Sara. Annie
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2005 at 12:16 PM

And what was the name of the restaurant that only costs 80pesos? I would be interested in that!

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2005 at 12:24 PM
I'm also in La Paz this day.

If you see a truck with a bamboo rack and two big ol dogs in the back, give a shout.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2005 at 12:27 PM
PS

Judy, I see you are on here now, Espacio Don Tomas perhaps? That's where I'm at ahorita.
Annie T.
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 03:08 PM

BajaJudy, We ended up not going there yesterday, but I?ll find out the name tomorrow. Alberto says it?s too far to walk to so he?ll take us when we want to go. Today we walked all the way to the serpendario (?). out past the VW dealership on the four lane. Long walk and the price of entry was $8.00US each, but it is well done and we help support entry for the school kids, so go. JR, if we see you we?ll yell out loud and clear. Annie
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 03:36 PM
hey Eli

I know the house, was inside once, you see (if it's the same place I'm thinking) The Pekin is in one block and the house is on the next block and at the end of that block was a small palapa house were I lived with Mr. Bill Callahan the original owner of La Posada. Since I knew Mr. Callahan from the days he had "La Posada The Inn In La Paz" some of owr mutual friends (Anita Walker "English with Anita")asked if I could watch over him. He was an american that had married a very rich La Paz lady MT Ruffo, but had been abandoned by everyone even his children( probably now very prominent Pace?os the Callahan Ruffo)
tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 05:06 PM

ftd: I just knew your post was gonna end with and here is who you can call to buy it! :)

When searching for the end of your rainbow you only have until dusk....
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 05:44 PM
Que, que? nfm

expat2B
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 05:57 PM
just got back ourselves

...from a 5-day visit, and what a revitalizing experience it was. The gubernatorial political campaigns sure were in full swing, weren't they? We could not make our way down Obregon and not end up with an armload of stickers, caps, and related swag. One of the candidates set off a huge fireworks show in the stadium just south of downtown - the initial explosion made us jump out of our skin as we were only a few blocks away. Curiously, the campaigning took on a festive air, even though the supporters were obviously passionate about their candidates.

We did manage to explore several of the cafes and restaurants that were mentioned on the earlier La Paz dining thread. After a lengthy and enjoyable chat with Jorge and one of his waiters (Ernesto), we're pleased to report that business appears to have picked up at La Fonda. The outdoor dining area was nearly full both times we dined there, and the breakfast clientele was local except for our party. We also tried Bismark II at Degollado and Altamirano, which previously drew criticism. The seafood entrees we tried were well prepared (not the best in town, mind you, but quite serviceable) and the prices were middle-of-the-road (<290 pesos for a large lunch for three, including drinks).

We saw the same dog you mentioned with the wire 'collar', begging on the malecon - called to him to undo the wire, but he was skittish and darted towards traffic - hope he finds a loving home somewhere. Unfortunately, he was one of several dogs in pretty desperate straights (one was tethered atop a corrugated steel roof, another had mange so bad it was nearly hairless) - please keep us posted if you find a dog rescue group or shelter.

Saludos

tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 06:47 PM

FTM, I understand 'what what' but not nfm? I was teasing you for not ending your interesting story with how to buy it as several of us have.

Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 07:59 PM
About the Pagoda house,

Isn't it amazing how many folks have tuned into what is stashed in that yard behind those trees? I thought I was the only one; guess that is never true is it?
tim40
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2005 at 08:04 PM

Eli, that place raises those 'I quit' words to the back of my mouth....it just gets you thinking of all the possibilities that could provide life enjoyment and even business related income.

Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 09:54 AM

Speaking of La Paz, have you noticied the little lighthouse that is on the Malecon, near Los Arcos hotel? Well, my mother-in-law's father used to be the "keeper" of it. I guess they used to live in a little house right behind the hotel and she used to talk to all the American tourists (kids?) that would stay there. So, she still has a few words in English that she picked up back then! Her father died young, though, so they moved out of town (in those days), which isn't really too far away now!

I'm glad everyone has such fond memories of La Paz. My in-laws live there and I never want to spend too much time there...it could be that the toilet never works, and that someone in the family is always fighting with someone else, or that it always seems to be about 10 degrees hotter than in Los Cabos, and the fans are always broken...or that it's the in-laws, but I can enjoy a two or three day visit before it's time to go!

My kids really like the beaches in La Paz, so we usually spend the days there, and just go to the in-laws to sleep...on the hard, hot floor!! saludos and enjoy the city. H.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 11:52 AM

Wait, wait.... somehow I'd missed this thread... but I've had my eye on the Pagoda house, lot & trees forever. Perhaps we all can share?:yes:

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 12:25 PM

ftd, what happened with Bill Callaham, anyway? The last time I visited him at that little house he said he had brucillosis (sp?), and the next time I made it to La Paz he had disappeared.

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 03:42 PM
Bill

Yes he got very sick and finaly died. After I came back to Tijuana, he would call me and I would pick him up @ the Tijuana airport to take him to the hospital in San Diego. He was a very good friend to many. He got to friendly with the bottle too:(
fdt
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 03:46 PM
Lera

how did you know Mr. Callahan?:?:
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 04:52 PM
The world just keep getting smaller

Now to the question of who presently holds title to this dream?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.