Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Matomi Ranch
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 11:19 AM

Here's a photo sphere I took last weekend (using the bottom portion of David's map as reference) - east of El Carrizo, at the west end of the fence line. You can see the straight road/fence line in the photo sphere. AKA San Felipe 250 RM112+.

https://goo.gl/maps/uZBuvxWYNxB2

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 11:21 AM

Feb 2009 no locked gates on the way to Parral. Corrals opened the unlocked gates
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 11:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Feb 2009 no locked gates on the way to Parral. Corrals opened the unlocked gates

Was the road built back to the old ranch house or still ended at the edge of the arroyo just beyond the drive-thru corral?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 03:00 PM

Did not make it to the ranch house. The bushes were to thick
Turned around at 30.50194, -115.10815 which a little past the corral and still a couple of miles from the rancho. Did not get as far as the arroyo.
I forgot to ask where the locked gate was.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 03:52 PM

Most of the time I tried to get to El Parral Rancho I encountered locked gates at the corral at the intersection of Parral Wash and the cross-over road to Berrendo Wash. We made efforts to get around it, but to hard to do because of large boulders. This locked gate was about 5 miles from the actual El Parral Rancho, as I recall.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-7-2016 at 07:18 PM

Where Barry said, Paul.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 06:05 PM

So Back to Arroyo Azufre =Parral = Crazy Horse & the latest = Indian & Apache, and is shown on David’s hand drawn map “23.9 miles”. The INEGI Topos do not show roads or trails in the arroyos.
I suppose another name “Agua Caliente” is shown on David’s other map is actually shown as Arroyo Huatamote on IGENI map H11B57. I think the drainage Agua Caliente is a feeder to one of the Parral drainages and never gets to one of the coast side arroyos?
In the picture below I drew the Arroyo Azufre track and labeled the race road that goes to Matomi. I also noted where the Obsidian tear drops are found cat the place we call “Apache Tears” I noted the location of “Mina El Apache” which we all have called the “Sulpher mine” for at least 20 years. The INEGI topo definitely shows the arroyo as Parral.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 06:21 PM

I have never been on the road that Paul shows the "Apache tears" notation on-------but I always wanted to----just never got around to it.

As for calling the mine the "sulfur mine for at least 20 years"------we called it the "sulfur mine" back in the early '60's as that is what it looked like with all the yellow sulfur around the diggings-----this was back when the road that goes past the sulfur mine was the ONLY road to PuerteCitos, way before the pavement and relocation of the "new" road from San Felipe much closer to the coast. Back then San Felipe was a tiny dirt town, and a lot of fun to party in with the locals. My first visit and camping in San Felipe was in the early '50's with my Aunt (an intrepid explorer of Baja).
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 06:28 PM

Yes indeed Paul!
The topo map calls "Azufre Wash" Cañada el Parral. The name Azufre Wash may have come from Sal Fish after I wrote to him about possibly using the ancient road south of the sulfur mine about 35 years ago for his race.

The topo is also the first time anyone from the day, heard of the sulfur mine having the name El Apache!

Bruce Barber comes along and gives many of these places his own names in the 1990s, "Crazy Horse" for example.

I am 'guilty' of naming the barrier island beach that runs for 4 miles south from Percebu, "Shell Island" in 1978, and the rough grade near Mission Santa Maria "The Widowmaker" in 1999. Both names seemed appropriate and unique to any other place in Baja (there is already a 'Shell Beach' in Baja, but it is not an island, either).

The naming the wash out to Punta Diggs from the Sierra San Pedro Martir as Arroyo Agua Caliente was not my creation... it came from existing maps of the time (1970s)... We had no topo maps to get names from then.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 06:46 PM

Mina El Apache was unknown to me until I looked on the topo recently.

Yes, Agua Caliente is a major topo labeled Arroyo or canyon that comes form San Pedro Matier. Of course its the one that has the trail way up high in the Matier.
My unfinished blog that gets me up to date on the many canyons just takes more time than I have. Takes to much time to dig out the topo to show you now.

And I do not have a problem with the local names. I just document them so people can find them on the maps. The Azufre name is a puzzle when Parral is the dominant labeled drainage. Maybe the name Apache was unknown or not liked? I am OK with Azufre - good choice.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2016 at 06:59 PM

Well Azufre means Sulfur... but it was Sal or one of the Score folks who named Parral Pass "Azufre Wash" as it begins a couple miles from the "Azufre" mine.

Apache Tears (obsidian nuggets) is no connection with El Apache Sulfur Mine, however. There are apache tears along the Parral road just a mile west of the old Puertecitos road, too.

The Agua Caliente arroyo connects with others in Valle Chico and is renamed Huatamote out to Punta Diggs. When I drew my first San Felipe South maps in the 1970s, I was not aware of the name Huatamote.

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 08:54 AM

Bruce Barber in several of his web articles said he created the name "Huatamote Trail" which per his varying descriptions could be either Chanate or Huatamote?
And as you know before Nora (1997) there was a passable track into the outlet of the valley watershed as shown on the topos and the Almanac. Since then we have had to use a side canyon which is part of the extensive Parral drainage system to get to the valley.
Anyway here it a spliced image of the area with Parral and Huatamote highlighted

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 09:11 AM

Yep, and interesting that the name "Parral" (Vineyard in English) is used so close together in unconnected canyons/ arroyos.

Since the ancient road from the sulfur mine went right to the Parral canyon, north of Matomí, the ravine across the coastal mountain (Cañada el Parral) the road used simply got the name of the destination?

Up in Parral Canyon (where the abandoned ranch is) are wild grapes.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.