woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 07:05 PM

Get well, TdB!!!

bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:06 AM

maybe something USEFUL, like humor, would help this guy ... instead of the ridiculousness of prayer!
get well soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5QqEmBi8iw
Sandlefoot
Nomad

Mood: Home

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 10:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bezzell  
maybe something USEFUL, like humor, would help this guy ... instead of the ridiculousness of prayer!
get well soon!

If this is a representation of the extent you understand prayer, God, or anything that requires faith, I will pray for you!

All is well in La Paz

Happy Trails

" Don't find fault, find a remedy; anyone can complain." Henry Ford

If you are not living on the edge...you are taking up to much space!

Just because it may not be a good idea does not mean it will not be fun!!!

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 11:12 AM

If I was at his bedside you can be sure I would be cracking as many jokes as possible! Humor is definitely good medicine...but, I'm 1,200 miles away, wah.
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2016 at 07:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
Good luck Taco de Baja!

Same here Steve...
Let's pray for Brooks to recover!

you obviously have not been paying attention!! :lol:
gee, shockeer :D
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 04:58 PM

Good luck Taco de Baja!

Same here Steve...

Try reading the subject name of this thread (Prayers), and have some respect for a fellow Baja Nomad... and a very nice person at that.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2016 at 05:19 PM

Good luck Taco de Baja!

Same here Steve...

Try reading the subject name of this thread (Prayers), and have some respect for a fellow Baja Nomad... and a very nice person at that.

wt_ are you talking about?
you were asking a nonprayer to pray with you! (capice?)
some would label that 'TROLLING'

Hope Taco man recovers!
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2016 at 08:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sandlefoot  
get well soon!

If this is a representation of the extent you understand prayer, God, or anything that requires faith, I will pray for you!

"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back." Carl Sagan
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2016 at 08:37 AM

Carl Sagan was an atheist and is dead. You hold this mortal's words close while the universe is speaking to you otherwise? The ignorance of mankind - a speck in the universe - requires faith.

Taco, my prayers have been sent your way.
bezzell
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2016 at 02:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
You hold this mortal's words close while the universe is speaking to you otherwise?

whoa! sounds like new-age wu-wu nonsense (but maybe I'm reading it wrong?)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/atheists-genocide-incest...

get better Taco man!
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2016 at 10:49 AM

bezzell- this is about our friend taco de Baja, not about you and your faith-or lack of it.

if you want to share, maybe do so on the question and answers thread-or whatever.

meanwhile I will continue to pray for TdB and send good thoughts his way...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 01:03 PM

So sad to die too soon in life. Sorry very sorry.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 01:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Mexitron  
Just to let you all know that my good friend, Brooks Smith, Taco de Baja, lost his valiant struggle on Monday. We'll be bringing some of his ashes to Baja later this spring/summer. Enjoy life everyone, its precious!

[Edited on 3-31-2016 by Mexitron]

So very sorry to hear this. :no::no:

Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 04:24 PM
So sad to hear this.

Seems like only yesterday Myron passed on and now this. Sorry Mexitron for your loss of a good friend.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 04:51 PM

Wow, seems like he put up a decent fight. RIP:saint:

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 06:41 PM

Was praying for a different result, pretty sad. Descanse en Paz.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 07:27 PM

RIP Taco de Baja

He sure did put up a good fight.

Sorry for your loss Mexitron.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 07:42 PM

I enjoyed reading his point of view and experiences and I am so very, very sorry to hear of his passing. he joins a list of others who have passed recently that many of us knew. I pray for comfort and healing for his loved ones. RIP amigo...

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 08:19 PM

This is a rather long explanation of what it means to be a warrior. We should all strive to be warriors. I'm sure Taco de Baja is one......

Journey to Ixtlan:

A soft wind was blowing from the west and swept over my body without I making me cold. I felt it on my face and around my ears like a gentle wave of warm water that bathed me and then receded and bathed me again. It was a strange state of being that had no parallel in my busy and dislocated life. I began to weep, not out of sadness or self-pity, but out of some ineffable, inexplicable joy.

I wanted to stay in that spot forever; and I may have had don Juan not come and yanked me out of the place.

"You've had enough rest," he said as he pulled me up.

He led me very calmly on a walk around the periphery of the hilltop. We walked slowly and in complete silence. He seemed to be interested in making me observe the scenery all around us. He pointed to clouds and mountains with a movement of his eyes or with a movement of his chin.

The scenery in the late afternoon was superb. It evoked sensations of awe and despair in me. It reminded me of sights in my childhood.

We climbed to the highest point of the hilltop, a peak of igneous rock, and sat down comfortably facing the south with our backs against the rock. The endless expanse of land towards the south was truly majestic.

"Fix all this in your memory," don Juan whispered in my ear. "This spot is yours. This morning you saw, and that was the omen. You found this spot by seeing. The omen was unexpected, but it happened. You are going to hunt power whether you like it or not. It is not a human decision; not yours or mine.

"Now, properly speaking, this hilltop is your place; your beloved place. All that is around you is under your care. You must look after everything here, and everything will in turn look after you."

He stood up and pointed with his extended hand, turning his body around to cover a complete circle.

"All this land, as far as you can see, is yours," he went on, still smiling. "Not to use but to remember. This hilltop, however, is yours to use for the rest of your life. I am giving it to you because you have found it yourself. It is yours. Accept it."

"Every rock and pebble and bush on this hill, especially on the top, is under your care," he said. "Every worm that lives here is your friend. You can use them and they can use you."

"Fix every feature of it in your memory. This is the place where you will come in dreaming. This is the place where you will meet with powers; where secrets will someday be revealed to you. You are hunting power and this is your place; the place where you will store your resources.

The light of the setting sun had a rich, almost copperish, glow; and everything in the surroundings seemed to be dabbed with a golden hue. I was given totally to observing the scenery. I did not even want to think.

The last minutes of light, right before the sun hit a blanket of low clouds or fog, were, in a total sense, magnificent. It was as if the sun were inflaming the earth, kindling it like a bonfire. I felt a sensation of redness in my face.

"But now you must focus your attention on everything that exists on this hilltop because this is the most important place of your life." "This is the place where you will die," he said in a soft voice. This hilltop, as it is now, will then be the place of your last dance."

"What do you mean by my last dance, don Juan?"

"This is the site of your last stand," he said. "You will die here no matter where you are. Every warrior has a place to die. A place of his predilection which is soaked with unforgettable memories; where powerful events left their mark; a place where he has witnessed marvels; where secrets have been revealed to him; a place where he has stored his personal power.

"A warrior has the obligation to go back to that place of his predilection every time he taps power in order to store it there. He either goes there by means of walking, or by means of dreaming.

"And finally, one day when his time on earth is up and he feels the tap of his death on his left shoulder, his spirit which is always ready flies to the place of his predilection, and there the warrior dances to his death.

"Every warrior has a specific form; a specific posture of power which he develops throughout his life. It is a sort of dance; a movement that he does under the influence of his personal power.

"If a dying warrior has limited power, his dance is short. If his power is grandiose, his dance is magnificent. But regardless of whether his power is small or magnificent, death must stop to witness his last stand on earth. Death cannot overtake the warrior who is recounting the toil of his life for the last time until he has finished his dance."

"Does death really stop to see a warrior dance?"

"A warrior is only a man. A humble man. He cannot change the designs of his death. But his impeccable spirit which has stored power after stupendous hardships can certainly hold his death for a moment; a moment long enough to let him rejoice for the last time in recalling his power. We may say that that is a gesture which death has with those who have an impeccable spirit."

"And thus you will dance to your death here, on this hilltop, at the end of the day. And in your last dance, you will tell of your struggle; of the battles you have won, and of those you have lost. You will tell of your joys and bewilderments upon encountering personal power. Your dance will tell about the secrets and about the marvels you have stored. And your death will sit here, and watch you.

"The dying sun will glow on you without burning as it has done today. The wind will be soft and mellow, and your hilltop will tremble. As you reach the end of your dance, you will look at the sun, for you will never see it again in waking or in dreaming. And then your death will point to the south. To the vastness."

I hope death waited a good, long time for Taco de Baja's dance! Farewell, amigo......

fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 3-31-2016 at 10:39 PM

Thanks Woody

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.