Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: About vehicle life
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Considering that I was a member of the WAYWEGOS and the AL SAREEA 4WD clubs for about 15 years, I am going to guess around 50,000 which includes 6 trips to Cabo and back (3 going down the East side, 3 going down the West side avoiding pavement whenever possible), countless other Baja runs, bunches of runs to Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, and most of California (yes, that included the Rubicon, Wheeler Ridge and Shaver Lake).
I was as hard core as Ken Cooke is now days.

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
For what it's worth, my last and current 2004 Prius has 566,000 (not a misprint) miles.

Here are the repairs done:
2 electric water pumps (both recalls by Toyota)
2 12 volt batteries,
1 Hybrid battery (i bought a used one from a wrecking yard for $400.00 USD at about 350,000 miles.
1 throttle body
4 catalytic converters
1 muffler
3 sets of spark plugs
2 change of brake pads (still has the original rear brake shoes).
1 tail light bulb

That is very impressive. How many of the miles are off-road? ;D

That's even more impressive.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 11:52 AM

I just got through reading on the PRIUS CHAT forum that the rear brakes do not need adjusting. They indeed adjust themselves when backing up.

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I'm easy on the brakes, Bob.

However, adjusting the rear brakes should be easy...just drive backwards and stomp on the brakes, eh?

yup! on your dad's car! :yes:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 12:10 PM

pretty much all cars and trucks after 1980 with rear drum rakes have self adjusting brakes.
All never car/truck versions with rear disk brakes don't require adjustment.

Harald Pietschmann
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 03:30 PM

I just got through reading on the PRIUS CHAT forum that the rear brakes do not need adjusting. They indeed adjust themselves when backing up.

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
I'm easy on the brakes, Bob.

However, adjusting the rear brakes should be easy...just drive backwards and stomp on the brakes, eh?
[/rquo

yup! on your dad's car! :yes:

I bet driving in reverse and stomping on the brakes has nothing to do with self adjusting brakes? show me the link please.....

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 03:46 PM

you asked for it

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2278383/fixing-drum-...

David will add maps and pics

[Edited on 3-10-2016 by 4x4abc]

Harald Pietschmann
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
you asked for it

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2278383/fixing-drum-...

David will add maps and pics

[Edited on 3-10-2016 by 4x4abc]

"on some cars of yesterday" like your dad's car! :lol:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 03:58 PM

i'm glad to see the f250 is #1 : )
mine has 230k but I think the salt/rust may eat it up before the thing dies : )

rusty.jpg - 68kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 8knots  
Love our 2004 4Runner. Only has 155,000 on it. I've heard it speculated that they are particularly reliable because they are actually made in Japan.

now thats interesting, when i saw our 4runners at #3 and tacoma's #10 I thought what the heck?? japanese vs mexico built? I guess!:?:
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-10-2016 at 04:38 PM

:o

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 10:54 AM

I have owned a broad mix of trucks and SUV's over the years and I have learned there is simply no online guide available that can accurately predict how any vehicle will hold up for you over the long haul - too many variables. It makes a HUGE difference on how you drive the vehicle, maintain the vehicle and WHERE you drive the vehicle.

Down here where we live, over a half hour drive from pavement with a LOT of rough, rocky roads, I have found that when you live here full time and drive over this stuff every single day, Chevy, Ford and Dodge trucks are the most reliable mechanically speaking.

I have gone through different models of Jeeps, Toyotas, Mitzubishis, BMWs, Range Rovers and Mercedes trucks and SUV's. They may do well when you drive on pavement and only visit this stuff once in awhile but 24/7 on these roads that will test your best denture adhesive takes a real toll; eventually leaving most on the side of the road.

My personal experience with Ford has made them my number one choice. I routinely put well over 200K miles on most of my Ford trucks before trading up. Even when I finally do sell them, they are still running like new - everything working 100%, no leaks and no rattles. I could never get past 50K miles on these types of conditions with any of the imports. Although Chevy and Dodge did well mechanically in comparison, they both drove me crazy with rattles that developed as the miles piled up. (Personal pet peeve of mine).

YMMV

[Edited on 3-11-2016 by BajaGringo]

villafontana
Nomad

Mood: Urgency to travel all the time in Baja!

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KurtG  
Our 2000 Ford Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC V6 just turned 285,000 miles. The engine has never been touched, things like water pump, alternator , and starter are all original. Tranny was replaced under warranty in the first year but fine since then. Front suspension recently rebuilt, lower a-arms, ball joints, hubs, etc. Burns no oil and passes smog test with like new readings. It doesn't have the off road ability of the Tacoma and others but driven carefully has taken us down a lot of rough Baja back country roads. I am pretty meticulous about maintenance which I think is a big factor in any vehicle's service life.

Wow thats great for your explorer! i have the same type of explorer, but mine is a 1997 and has 165,000 miles. I went on her to Mulege from Tijuana without a single problem. Just the mpg was upsetting. But aside from that the trip was very smooth.:bounce::bounce:
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
It makes a HUGE difference on how you drive the vehicle, maintain the vehicle and WHERE you drive the vehicle.

second that!

90% is driver - like in challenging 4x4 stuff. Not your gear but your brain will make the difference.

Not very popular, but still the most bang for your bucks - Mercedes G Series. Sold my first after 300k+ miles and got $5k more for it than new.
Driving the second one at 250k flawless miles now. Makes me smile every time I climb in.

Dirt cheap when bought used.

Harald Pietschmann
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 03:47 PM

Not very popular, but still the most bang for your bucks - Mercedes G Series. Sold my first after 300k+ miles and got $5k more for it than new.
Driving the second one at 250k flawless miles now. Makes me smile every time I climb in.

Interesting thoughts.

I assume you bought the first G-wagen used? Are/were yours the 270, 320, 400, 500 or some other model? Gas or Diesel?

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 03:59 PM

Interesting thoughts.

I assume you bought the first G-wagen used? Are/were yours the 270, 320, 400, 500 or some other model? Gas or Diesel?

dirt cheap hahaha
$135,000 new
a 14 year old unit $30,000

maybe I've lived too long in the past

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 04:22 PM

Ol Smokey, my daily driver..1996 Dodge Cummins, turned 370,000 today.....My 1990 Dodge Cummins, 1 Ton Dually Two wheel drive, that I gave to my son, was pushing 900,000 miles when I last saw it in November 2015...Head has never been off...

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 06:40 PM

Interesting thoughts.

bought the first one in 1986 brand new. 300GD diesel, $18,000 ($ was 3:1 at the time).
bought the recent G500 in 2004 for $30k

at 100k miles they still drive like new

Harald Pietschmann
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 07:24 PM

Interesting thoughts.

bought the first one in 1986 brand new. 300GD diesel, $18,000 ($ was 3:1 at the time).
bought the recent G500 in 2004 for $30k

at 100k miles they still drive like new

I'm curious as to where you bought them, the US, Europe, or Mexico. In the US they are pretty expensive but that may be due to US emissions and safety requirements that may not be required in Mexico or other export markets. Are the G-Wagons built anywhere else in the world besides Germany? I would love to have one but they are just not affordable here, at least for me.
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 09:06 PM

I'm curious as to where you bought them, the US, Europe, or Mexico. In the US they are pretty expensive but that may be due to US emissions and safety requirements that may not be required in Mexico or other export markets. Are the G-Wagons built anywhere else in the world besides Germany? I would love to have one but they are just not affordable here, at least for me.

first one I bought in Germany, shipped it to US, registered and used in the US
some minor DOT changes were needed (inexpensive)
don't believe the emissions and safety crap
the US is not the only country with safety and emission rules
all vehicles are built pretty much the same

the G500 was bought in Germany, shipped it to US, registered and used in the US (last few years in Mexico)
no modifications needed

the Mercedes G-Class is exclusively built in Austria

Harald Pietschmann
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 10:45 PM

first one I bought in Germany, shipped it to US, registered and used in the US
some minor DOT changes were needed (inexpensive)
don't believe the emissions and safety crap
the US is not the only country with safety and emission rules
all vehicles are built pretty much the same

the G500 was bought in Germany, shipped it to US, registered and used in the US (last few years in Mexico)
no modifications needed

the Mercedes G-Class is exclusively built in Austria

Thanks for the info. Again, I wish I could afford one but it looks like I'll have to keep the old Ford going for another 100k or so.
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2016 at 02:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
It makes a HUGE difference on how you drive the vehicle, maintain the vehicle and WHERE you drive the vehicle.

second that!

90% is driver - like in challenging 4x4 stuff. Not your gear but your brain will make the difference.

Maybe in Germany. You gonna tell me its dirt cheap after shipping/taxes/import fees? Come on man. Parts??? :lol

[Edited on 3-12-2016 by chippy]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.