Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Advise on a Honda Generator that will not run
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2016 at 04:41 PM

lift it over your head and shake it around a few times to get the fuel into the fuel bowls. if that doesn't do it open the gas fill cap and try it again. if still nothing put a rag in the gas fill spout make sure it' saturated throw a match at it and run
8knots
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2016 at 05:23 PM

I have had a lot of luck with SeaFoam. I also store my engines with Sea Foam in the tank. Start right up after 6 months....both diesel and gas. Brings my Honda Gen back to life. This subject comes up a lot with small outboards as well.
BajaBreak
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2016 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 8knots  
I have had a lot of luck with SeaFoam. I also store my engines with Sea Foam in the tank. Start right up after 6 months....both diesel and gas. Brings my Honda Gen back to life. This subject comes up a lot with small outboards as well.

Sea Foam is great preventative care. I had a similar problem with a 7hp Honda outboard. Cleaned it a few times, soaked the jets, etc., but would just never idle right or start easily. Finally got another carb and always ran like a charm. I finally decided that the problem carb was just unfixable, like it had a small hole in the casting making it impossible to tune right.

The jets in these small motors are so small that it doesn't take much to gum them up(but be careful you know where that tiny jet will fly if it gets out of your hand with the compressed air!).

I would definitely look at any potential air leak routes between the head and carb(sometimes rubber/plastic, and have an o-ring), because it definitely sounds air fuel related, as it will run with the choke.

Hope you get it figured out.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2016 at 10:03 PM

Did you clean the carb by taking it apart and soaking parts?

If so, there are a few very tiny holes that you need to run a small stiff wire through. These holes get varnished up and and have to be pushed out.

I have a cheapy generator and I had the same problem and when I cleaned the small hole, it fixed it.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-30-2016 at 06:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by aguachico  
Good deal guys! Back to the carb today and will let ya know.
saludos

If it only runs with choke on pilot jet is plugged ( at least that's what it usually is on dirt bikes)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2016 at 09:58 AM

what an interesting thread....so many suggestions.

what say you Art? Did you fix it?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2016 at 11:28 AM

There are a drilled passages in the carb body that the main jet & pilot/idle jet supply fuel to - these can be tough to get clean.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 4-30-2016 at 12:39 PM

Like I said earlier, a brand new carb is only $15.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 4-30-2016 at 02:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  
Like I said earlier, a brand new carb is only $15.

I missed that before. New carb for sure. Cheap troubleshooting.
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2016 at 05:02 PM

Cheap china carb. May not fit or run right. You get what you pay for. Clean the old carb. It's the pilot, or idle system, they have the smallest holes and will plug first. Do not push a wire in the jet or passage way. Maybe a toothbrush, nothing stiffer.
doublelimits

[*] posted on 4-30-2016 at 08:10 PM

If it's like my Honda 2000, it is probably the small jet that is located on the top outside of the carb below the idle speed screw.
You turn the idle speed screw in counting how many turns until it seats, write that down, when you reinstall it, you want to return it to it's otiginal location. Now remove the adjusting screw, once it is out you can remove the jet from below, it should pry up fairly easy. The orifices are tiny, try blowing carb cleaner through or use a very small plastic bristle from a brush.
When I first had this problem, I rebuilt the carb multiple times without success until I figured out this was removable.
Good luck
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 4-30-2016 at 09:38 PM

Had the same problem after not draining the fuel from the carb and setting for a long time. Took three times of taking the carb off and cleaning...CortezBlue is right in running a small wire through all holes to dislodge any varnish from old gas and using a good carb cleaner. My fix was a small hole that is in the pin that enters the carb bowl and has several holes in it....Tiny top one plugged and took three times to figure it out....Eye sight is not was it once was....lol.
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 5-1-2016 at 10:28 AM

FIXED!!

Before I had posted this I tried cleaning the idle jet(plastic) with 30# titanium fishing wire.

So reading all of these great suggestions, specifically about cleaning and spraying with air, I went back at the main jets. I could light thru the jets, then I took the wire to the main jets and BANG, the hole was much bigger. I also took the air to the intake jet of the carb side.

So CortezBlue - you are sport on!

She's purring like a kitten.

One note - I had purchased a main jet with the rebuild kit. I cleaned the old jet and could see light. I never bothered to open the package of the new to see how big the hole should be - DUH!

Also - Today when I pulled the carb bowl o-ring off I stretched it out. Opps. There was not way to get it back on. So I dug the old one out of the trash. jiji. It worked

Muchas Gracias for all the great info.

I scoured you-tube, called honda and didn't get a fraction of the info you offered. I'm out $60 bucks in parts, but I learned quite a bit and saved $140 as the local shop wants $200 to service a $1000 part. go figure.

saludos

[Edited on 5-1-2016 by aguachico]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.