BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Rank your top 5 favorite towns in Baja
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 03:32 PM
In no particular order.....

Ojo de Liebre (Wintertime for the whales)
Bahia Concepcion
Loreto
Los Barrilles
San Ignacio

and last but not least, if it counts is,
Angels Camp, KM 73

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

Mainland, I prefer Kino Viejo over San Carlos 10x1 due to the gringo-friendly aspect of SC and Kino Nuevo....

Hahahahaha.... Kino isn't in the same zip code as SC is a dozen ways.

Kino town is avg at best and the off shore anchorages are complete dog poop compared to SC.

Come on man, you are better than that.

[Edited on 7-16-2016 by JZ]
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 04:23 PM

Talkin' bout the towns, my friend. Kino Viejo compared to Nuevo is MEXICAN. San Carlos (TOWN) was created for hueros.

You did ask for towns, didn't you?
:coolup:

[Edited on 7-16-2016 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 04:27 PM

BAJA towns...the way I read it;)
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 04:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
BAJA towns...the way I read it;)

......Was answering his own post, the way I read it..... and did name my Baja towns, but thanx just the same. :rolleyes:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 04:36 PM

La Paz
Mulege
Santa Rosalia
San Ignacio
Loreto

and close seconds:
Todos Santos
Mexicali
Catavina
San Vincente
El Triunfo
Los Barriles
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 04:39 PM

I am actually surprised at how many folks had Guerrero Negro on their list. Sure, we have stayed there many times when going to see the whales. But it was the whales, and not the town. The town is a dusty, noisy place that has very few decent restaurants.

When we are headed further South on a non-whale trip, we just pass it by.

I like San Quintin for Jardines. I like Santa Rosalia for the El Morro hotel and the El Muelle restaurant. I like Loreto for many reasons, and I think that San Jose is the best part of Cabo
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-16-2016 at 04:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajahowodd  
I am actually surprised at how many folks had Guerrero Negro on their list. Sure, we have stayed there many times when going to see the whales. But it was the whales, and not the town. The town is a dusty, noisy place that has very few decent restaurants.

When we are headed further South on a non-whale trip, we just pass it by.

I like San Quintin for Jardines. I like Santa Rosalia for the El Morro hotel and the El Muelle restaurant. I like Loreto for many reasons, and I think that San Jose is the best part of Cabo

im not surprised at all, traveling around the backstreets of GN I was surprised by what a quaint clean town it is.......different strokes I suppose
BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 08:37 AM

San Ignacio, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto. Jesus Maria.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 08:57 AM

Maybe a short explanation of what that town has that puts it on your list?

I think it may open up some awareness?

For example, BajaMama, why Jesus María? The town at the junction to Laguna Manuela, yes? Bought ice there once, and gasoline and lunch (Carmelita's van) a couple times.

From Bob H:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 09:23 AM

DK? I think folks can pick whatever they want without your help...I know you feel that the earth revolves around you...But GEEZO...

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 09:23 AM

Perhaps that is a good idea of why one picked the municipality.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 09:26 AM

What is? DK sticking his nose in?

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 09:29 AM

It is really a tough choice and for me depends on if it is a relatively short visit, say less than a couple of weeks, or a longer time frame such as several months. For shorter visits I enjoy, in no particular order, La Paz, Loreto, Ensenada, Comondu, San Ignacio. For longer stays it has been Mulege for me and family since I lived there with my two very young children in the mid-70's. Back then for some reason I didn't feel Loreto was a very friendly town to outsiders but now it has a totally different feel and I think I could be happy there.

I would have listed San Jose Del Cabo and Todos Santos up to the mid-90's but too crowded for me these days.

As to Guerrero Negro, the best thing about the town is the people there. I have found them to be very nice and helpful. Not being a tourist town, except in whale season, it has a different feel and I like it. I like to ride the causeway through the wetlands out to the old salt loading wharf, great scenery and jillions of birds depending on time of year.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 09:33 AM

San Ignacio: History, the people, date palms, date pie (pye in Spanish), the Mission.

Santa Rosalia: Also history, the bakery, the copper church, the municipality looks like New Orleans

La Paz: Big city that feels like a little municipality, the gorgeous Malecón, the people, the restaurants.

Bahia Asunción: The relaxing solitude, the fishing, the surf, the islands, Shari.

Ensenada: Although a big city (it feels bigger than La Paz), there is just so much to do. Always something going on, the Valle De Guadalupe for the wines and restaurants. El Guerrerense (they are now opening a restaurant). Did I mention the food?

Close 6th: Mulege...the Orchard.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 09:45 AM

Jesus Maria has a well placed PEMEX.

I've been reading this thread wondering what to say. The fact is I don't have 5 favorite towns. I like beaches and bays.

Mulege is a nice little town. It has almost everything you need and is uncharacteristically tidy. The river oasis environment is great. But the best part is proximity to Bahia Concepcion.

For me it used to be beaches and surfboards, now it's beaches and my boat. Gotta be on/in the water. Nothing I like better than pulling my boat up on the beach of Isla Pitaya or Isla Coyote and swimming in the crystal clear water. The towns are useful for supplies.

[Edited on 7-18-2016 by SFandH]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 12:53 PM

Chuckie, others get it... I am just suggesting it might be helpful or interesting to hear the reasons why a town makes the list. Nothing negative was in my thinking.

[Edited on 7-18-2016 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 01:46 PM

My fave towns are fish camps!:light:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 02:51 PM

I love La Paz for the Malecon and all the beautiful people walking, jogging and running up and down it. Great hotels and places to eat too. The most beautiful scene I've seen was Christmas 1989 Hotel Los Arcos third floor balcony over looking the bay. All the sail boats had Christmas lights lit up. A beautiful scene with a gentle breeze and mild weather.

Loreto has a nice Malecon too just not as many people on it, at least when I've been there. Hotels and restaurants first class. Lots of places to explore nearby.

LA Bay is just a nice quite place to lay back or fool around in. Go for an off road run. Go fishing. etc etc etc.

San felipe has good restaurants and bars and off-road racing and also many places to off road to. Fishing as well. Cheap hotels too. Fish tacos. Petes camp for food and drinks and a shower.

Ensenada, nothing like contingency day for the Baja 500 and 1000 races. Really good hotels and restaurants. Lots of taco stands. Hussongs and Pappas and Beer for the more routy crowd. The best margarita ever is at the bar in the Corona hotel. Big storess to shop at and much more.

[Edited on 7-18-2016 by TMW]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2016 at 06:31 PM

TMW
I agree with your choices
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.