BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Need To Purchase A Car In La Paz or Cabo.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 04:30 PM

While Goat and I are usually on opposite sides of logic of most things, with this he and I agree.

Make at least one explorer trip down the peninsula, in a rented car, and see the place and feel the air... meet the people. Spend 2 weeks at least (what you call a "fortnight")... but I strongly suggest a month.

Cities in Baja are not like cities here in the USA or Oz. Many things do not work, or work the same, and you just have to accept the inefficiency and bureaucracy of this Latin American land.

Many Nomads live in La Paz to Cabo area and I bet some will be happy to help. The advice by El Jefe (a personal friend of mine) is good. Anyway, we don't want to steal your dream, we just don't want it to be a nightmare. Check it out, see how it is, then move there and ADAPT to the Mexican Way. A 4 pm meeting will occur at 5 or 6 or tomorrow... it is just that way!

I envy your ability to move there! I wish my wife and I could now!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 05:09 PM

Exploring BCS urban areas and highways in a new Ford Mustang V-8 muscle car sounds pretty cool to me.

Personally, I'd go for a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado convertible. Better off road vehicle.

[Edited on 8-3-2016 by SFandH]

[Edited on 8-3-2016 by BajaNomad]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 05:50 PM

I wish you well, and if you ever get "into" the fun of exploring and history (which fills the land), I am happy to assist! I shipped the 4 Baja history and adventure books we sell, to Cairns, Queensland, not long ago.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 07:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Man_With_Gas  

Res Status? :-

1) 180 day general tourist Visa
2) Have approx. $32K in the bank for a year untouched = 4 year visa application
3) Have approx. $220K in the bank untouched for a year = perm status application

Unless I've misunderstood you, that won't work if you're sure you're going to apply for residence. You have to apply for either the temporary or permanent resident visa at a Mexican embassy or consulate (ideally in your home country). It can't be done from within Mexico after you arrive.

If you entered under a tourist visa, you'd have to leave the country again to apply for either permanent or temporary residence. You might as well apply for the residence visa in Australia before you leave, the initial application (for a visa sticker in your passport) doesn't cost much. You then have 180 days to get to Mexico (visa stamped on arrival), and 30 days after you arrive to apply to convert it to a residence card.

Quote: Originally posted by Man_With_Gas  

I'm not 100% sure where I'm going to finally settle but me being a city slicker all my life I'll assume as I write that places like La Paz, Cabo San Jose etc would be my first ports of call to consider.

Compared to Melbourne, they're provincial backwaters. But when you're not working, cities can start to lose their appeal.

Rob

PS see your U2U messages (top right under "logged in").

[Edited on 2016-8-3 by Riom]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 07:49 PM

Personally, i would choose australia before baja. I choose baja for vacation because its closer.

I would not choose to retire in either, as retirement is better near friends and family. Makes no sense to me to move my residence away from friends and family.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-2-2016 at 08:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by soulpatch  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Personally, i would choose australia before baja. I choose baja for vacation because its closer.

I would not choose to retire in either, as retirement is better near friends and family. Makes no sense to me to move my residence away from friends and family.

Damn good thing we're not talking about you, then!
:P
It's a big world, sounds like he's looked around a bit.
Sounds fun and interesting to me.
We moved far away from friends and family and we still manage to see each other on occassion and we have developed some really great friendships with like minded folks.
Everybody has what they like.
Thank goodness for diversity.

I think you are fooling yourself. You've moved all over Mexico, and seem to be afflicted with a vision problem that makes you see the grass is always greener over the rainbow.
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 08:17 AM

My friend, if you feel like exploring Baja, drive up to TJ and visit us in Playas. I love the northern Pacific coast. There are many pluses. There is great food, art, music, and culture. The US border is minutes away. Its the most temperate climate in Baja. There is lots to do, many festivals and events. You can easily migrate south in the winter.

Feel free to come visit us, sit on our patio with an endless view of the sea and the Coronado islands, drink a cold one, share some fish tacos hot off the grill, go for a walk on the malecon, take in a 20 peso nieve (special kind of ice cream), listen to some music in the park, watch the kids play in the surf, or watch them play baseball or soccer - the fields are right where we get the nieve. Sit until dark talking with friends and neighbors on the patio.

That is life here.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 05:01 PM

Sheesh!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 05:12 PM

G'day Steve, nice to call you something other than Gas Man!

I know your thing is not the 'outback' of Baja, but like Oz, most of this magic peninsula is 'outback' country and dirt roads. It may be interesting for you to have an idea of the wonderful sites away from the paved roads and city streets.

See my new web page of our 15 day trip to La Paz and Cabo and back north as we went to many many great sites on that trip... and many of the photos are in La Paz and in the La Paz to Cabo region... Typically too far away for us to go to on our driving vacations.

Here is the big trip: http://vivabaja.com/712

In addition, there are many more trips and data on Baja California. Most of the trips are in the northern half, but the two others linked there that go into Baja Sur are:
http://vivabaja.com/707
http://vivabaja.com/709

Of course, all the other stuff, maps, links, history, other websites can be found on my web page, now in its 16th year on the Internet: www.vivabaja.com

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 05:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
G'day Steve, nice to call you something other than Gas Man!

David, he is not a Gas Man, he is a Man With Gas!

That means that the car he wants to buy (remember the original topic?) better have a super air conditioner since he will have the windows down a lot!

Welcome to the forum Steve. Fifty replies and counting on your first post...impressive!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 06:29 PM

I like your idea of a new Mustang. If you get the off-road urge you can always rent a Jeep. Once you've seen one baja dirt road, you've pretty much seen them all.

There is a paved road into the mountains near Punta Colonet. San Pedro Martir National Park.

Be sure to check out Bahia Concepcion near Mulege. The Mustang will be no problem on the beach roads in that area.

Ensenada is a nice town and of course "Welcome to Tijuana, tequila, sexo, y marijuana", as the song goes.

[Edited on 8-4-2016 by SFandH]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 06:58 PM

The paved roads are rough and there can be some dangerous pot holes. Holes that would be fixed in first world countries, or probably never happen. I wouldn't buy any car that didn't have a full size spare tire. That might eliminate the Mustang. Pick up trucks or SUVs are the ideal baja vehicles.

Also there are many speed bumps, called topes, that are in fact road hazards intentionally put across the roads to slow down speeders. If you hit one of those going too fast in a "normal" sedan you're screwed.

Get a truck or a 1959 Cadillac Eldorado. :D

[Edited on 8-4-2016 by SFandH]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 07:20 PM

It was already wisely suggested by other Nomads to get a smaller Japanese brand SUV like the RAV4 or PILOT with 4WD or AWD... in Spanish "Doble Tracion" (double traction). Even a Jeep Cherokee, as a practical vehicle. Jeeps are big in Baja, almost as much as Toyotas! Ha ha.

Getting a low-slung sporty type car, is really unwise for Baja California.

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 07:33 PM
Love it or hate it?

If you don't need to haul much, but want to do back roads or beaches, a Nissan Juke looks like a fun little rig! I have never driven one, but a couple of people I have talked to seemed quite happy with theirs.

Not as much power as a mustang, but it would open up a lot more roads to you.

Edit, I believe they are sold in Baja, but not certain about that.

[Edited on 8-4-2016 by AKgringo]

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 08:21 PM

You might also may want to take a look at a gently used Toyota 4Runner with a 6 cylinder engine. With good tyres and a small lift kit it would be almost bulletproof for Baja
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 08:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
It was already wisely suggested by other Nomads to get a smaller Japanese brand SUV like the RAV4 or PILOT with 4WD or AWD... in Spanish "Doble Tracion" (double traction). Even a Jeep Cherokee, as a practical vehicle. Jeeps are big in Baja, almost as much as Toyotas! Ha ha.

Getting a low-slung sporty type car, is really unwise for Baja California.

The majority of people driving around Baja are doing so in low slung econobox sedans.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 08:33 PM

And they look it also

The majority of people driving around Baja are doing so in low slung econobox sedans.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 08:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
And they look it also

Are you saying you measure the man by the car he drives?
When I see people driving expensive cars, I see wasteful profligate fools.
I judge a person by their car: If they assign importance to their car, I know they are shallow dweebs.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2016 at 08:46 PM

One of the things I look at (not judge) is how people take care of their possessions, anywhere, not just Baja...vehicle included. Take care of your "stuff", it lasts longer

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
And they look it also

Are you saying you measure the man by the car he drives?
When I see people driving expensive cars, I see wasteful profligate fools.
I judge a person by their car: If they assign importance to their car, I know they are shallow dweebs.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 01:05 PM
An other option for MX purchase?

Reading another thread, I learned that a Mexico built truck had to be special ordered from the mainland to Baja, which takes time, and money.

Would buying in Mazatlán or some other mainland city, then taking the ferry to La Paz be worthwhile? Anybody ever heard anything about that?

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.