BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Where do Americans live in Baja?
Bajame
Nomad

Mood: Baja Dreamin

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 10:44 AM

San Ignacio 8 to 9 months a year, rent year round . Lovely town and and great people . One hour from The Pacific and One hour from the Sea of Cortez . Not to many of us there .

We all want a peaceful world, filled with love and laughter, but we fill ourselves with anger and hate trying to fiqure out how to achive it.
BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 01:11 PM

I think of Punta Banda as being part of "Greater" Ensenada. I don't disagree that it is very nice, and that there are lots of gringos there.

What's the thought behind the original question? Is having more Americans a good thing, or a bad thing? Do Canadians count as "Americans" in this context?
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BigBearRider  
I think of Punta Banda as being part of "Greater" Ensenada. I don't disagree that it is very nice, and that there are lots of gringos there.

What's the thought behind the original question? Is having more Americans a good thing, or a bad thing? Do Canadians count as "Americans" in this context?

Just curious. Yes, I almost put Americans/Canadians.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 02:18 PM

El Pescadero then Todos.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

They should since citizens of Mexico, USA, and Canada are all North Americans.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 03:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by J.P.  
I have lived a lot of places in my lifetime and PUNTA BANDA has the best weather year around and a lot of the convinces previously stated. but as a community it Total Sucks.:fire::fire:

That's because you never learned how to blend in peacefully like I did.
Just kidding, John. Hope all is well.
By the way.....you are completely correct.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Yes, but isn't interesting that Mexicans refer to U.S. citizens (and maybe Canadians too?) as "norteamericanos" but to themselves as "mexicanos"

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 03:56 PM

Pure and simple, this is how it is in my eyes. There are enclaves of expats from here and there who congregate within....well, in....communities with gates. They only venture out to shop or visit others of their...uhhh....type. They don't assimilate with the local community, and have no desire to.
They can't read the street signs nor can they follow news of events in their own front yard in papers or TV.
They live in ghettos, and wallow in their sense of adventure living in a foreign land. La Joya beachcamp in PB is a good example.
I don't say this is a bad thing. It has its advantages from a security and social point of view.
The issue for me is they have no desire to learn and mix with the culture they have joined, and that's their choice. I appreciate that, but can't understand why.

To belabor the points made just a bit more.....saying we are all Americans is right, but wrong. Mexicans are Mexicans, and Canadians are just that, Canadians.
We, from the US are Americans by common classification. There are those with questionable motives, who would like to strip us of our name.... OUR NAME....Americans ...and leave us nameless, that I won't tolerate. That is racist boolllsheit.
Yankee Doodle

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 04:30 PM

I prefer "Red-Blooded Human" myself. Anything else is 'racist boolsheit'. Got no problem with anyone from anywhere; if they do, it's THEIR PROBLEM.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 04:48 PM

Quote from Dennis

Pure and simple, this is how it is in my eyes. There are enclaves of expats from here and there who congregate within....well, in....communities with gates. They only venture out to shop or visit others of their...uhhh....type. They don't assimilate with the local community, and have no desire to.
They can't read the street signs nor can they follow news of events in their own front yard in papers or TV.
They live in ghettos, and wallow in their sense of adventure living in a foreign land. La Joya beachcamp in PB is a good example.
I don't say this is a bad thing. It has its advantages from a security and social point of view.
The issue for me is they have no desire to learn and mix with the culture they have joined, and that's their choice. I appreciate that, but can't understand why.

You just described the history of imagration to the US or any other country give the ex Pat's a generation or two and they will assimilate :)

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by DENNIS][/rquote]

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by freediverbrian]

[Edited on 8-9-2016 by freediverbrian]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 05:01 PM

that is one thing I appreciate about Bahia Asuncion that there are no gringo enclaves and people all live spread out dispersed in the village so integrate more into their neighbourhoods. Perhaps that is why the local attitude is generally positive towards the immigrants.:biggrin:

I wonder what the order is of gringo populations per capita in the towns and cities here. Maybe someone can do a poll or an investigation into this.

PS: it would have been nice to have put Americans/Canadians/Europeans or perhaps expats instead of just Americans.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 05:24 PM

"Non-natives", perhaps?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 05:48 PM

we are right behind Bahia Asuncion people-wise. There are 9 of us full timers. and 4 regular part-timers.

We are all spread out and all of us have our local protective angels, who "take care" of us when the going gets tough. It is very wonderful!

Every town surely has its charm - each one so radically different from the next.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 05:57 PM

Don't over anylyze! Come down and find your place or don't. It was easy for me, I have as many Local friends as Nortes! After a few years things change, too. I'd prefer TJ just cause I don't want any more .... No secrets revealed. Quiet, Lee. Tio

[Edited on 8-10-2016 by tiotomasbcs]
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 06:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

To belabor the points made just a bit more.....saying we are all Americans is right, but wrong. Mexicans are Mexicans, and Canadians are just that, Canadians.
We, from the US are Americans by common classification. There are those with questionable motives, who would like to strip us of our name.... OUR NAME....Americans ...and leave us nameless, that I won't tolerate. That is racist boolllsheit.
Yankee Doodle

The old Gringo enclave rant. We've heard it on here for 15 years, so not sure why you are taking your time to type it out for the 12,487th time. Get out there and take some pictures and post those, i.e. some fresh material.
JZ
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 06:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by tiotomasbcs  
Don't over anylyze!

No kidding. It was a simple question. What are the most populated areas for Americans/Canadians (which no one seems to know the answer to) and what's your favorite spot if you had a choice. Somehow the 2nd question got many all riled up and ranting about this and that.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 06:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by rts551  

Yes, but isn't interesting that Mexicans refer to U.S. citizens (and maybe Canadians too?) as "norteamericanos" but to themselves as "mexicanos"

and USA citizens refer to themselves as Americans.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

Yankee Doodle

Dennis, If Mexicans are Mexicans, and Canadians are, well Canadians, Then we are USAns.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 07:34 PM

Many years ago I took a 'Spanish for Adults and Dummies' class (Adult Ed.) and first night the instructor reminded all of us that from the southern Panama border to Santa's house we're all Norte Americanos, including Canada. Mexico is actually Los Estados Unidos de Mexico, has 31 States and a Federal Zone just like our Washington D.C. If you have to define races by imaginary lines you might as well build a wall around them...... oh, La Jolla already did......

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2016 at 08:05 PM

Not sure we are on the same page or not?

Several countries and territories, north of Colombia are part of North America, a continent.

Mexico's official name (in English here) is United Mexican States, not United States of Mexico. In either case, the people are Mexican citizens.

Our (USA) official name is United States of America. The people of the USA are American citizens.

People in North America are diverse and to only identify with their continent would not identify much about themselves. So, we proudly identify with the nation we are a citizen of.

So, we are all from North America, perhaps. But, we are Americans, Canadians, Mexicans, Jamaicans, Nicaraguans, etc. more.

Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.