Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Dry Ice
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 11:23 AM

Maybe salt changes the deal, but wet ice alone I had always been a drain the melted ice water out daily guy... until I did a side by side comparison. If you're not driving, leave the melt water in. Drain if you are driving or to keep food from getting soaked, but the melt water is colder than air that replaces it if drained. Ice in the chest with water (and even opened more) lasted longer than the chest I drained .

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 11:33 AM

Then why do I spread salt on the ice in my driveway to help melt it??

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 11:34 AM

Unmolested (not going for a beer every 1/2 hr) coolers without question last a long time... A common sense "given" and happy to see so many responses reminding me about this fact of life. The constant drain off process is also a fact as is death and taxes.
The salt thing, Shari, has me perplexed. Having spent some years living in snow country, we sprinkled salt on our walkways to MELT away snow and ice. Help me out onetime with this theory.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 12:57 PM

https://stuffexplained.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/adding_salt_...

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 01:43 PM

If you leave the drain plug open in the cooler that's like not having a cooler at all. The warm air enters through the vent and circulates inside the cooler. The mixture of warm to cold is not as great as if the lid was off but still very bad for your goal.

[Edited on 11-24-2016 by Skipjack Joe]
hombre66
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 05:37 PM

Sound advice SJoe. Drain and cap. I like to transfer the saved (clean)runoff to my cartop road shower . The salt thing seems like a tradeoff if you dont want melt in you cooler.
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 08:46 PM

My wife works where they have a walk in freezer , we put the yeti in the freezer for a day before loading food . Load with frozen food don't open , three days later all food still frozen. No ice just food. If no access to a freezer I would cool the ice chest with ice before loading.

[Edited on 11-25-2016 by freediverbrian]
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-25-2016 at 12:07 AM

I'm a Coleman Extreme kind of guy as to bang for the buck. I hate my food getting wet so I go to thrift stores and find a large plastic Rubbermaid or Tupperware container that basically fits the cooler side to side...put the "good" food in there and have the ice rest against it. I always felt you can't beat block ice from a real ice company...not the ones at the market. Add some dry ice to that...some frozen veggies on top...tape it shut and keep it out of the sun and five days later you are good to go. The closing mechanism on the Extremes is a tad lame so just have a strap or two. And yes, adding warm beer or drinks is a sin so if you drain off water, use it to pre chill them.

Hmmmmm...all this talk about beer...gotta go.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-25-2016 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by redhilltown  
I'm a Coleman Extreme kind of guy as to bang for the buck. I hate my food getting wet so I go to thrift stores and find a large plastic Rubbermaid or Tupperware container that basically fits the cooler side to side...put the "good" food in there and have the ice rest against it. I always felt you can't beat block ice from a real ice company...not the ones at the market. Add some dry ice to that...some frozen veggies on top...tape it shut and keep it out of the sun and five days later you are good to go. The closing mechanism on the Extremes is a tad lame so just have a strap or two. And yes, adding warm beer or drinks is a sin so if you drain off water, use it to pre chill them.

Hmmmmm...all this talk about beer...gotta go.

Great way indeed... I too, use Coleman Extreme 5 Day chests. That is how I could do a side-by-side comparison between draining and not draining while camped 4 days in 90° weather. I really thought I could prove that draining was better... but was shocked when it wasn't!

At the end of 4 days, the chest with our drinks and melted water left in had a large piece of the block ice remaining. It began with one block and two bags of crushed ice and the drinks (cans of cold beer and bottles of cold water).

The other chest with food, milk, juice began with two blocks of ice and one bag of crushed ice was drained daily (and the drain was closed after draining, of course). In addition, this chest was not opened as much as the drink chest was.

On Day 4 the food chest that was drained daily was nearly out of ice, even though it began with twice the amount of block ice.

The drink chest, with the melted water left in still had about half the block of ice remaining.

Clearly, if you are not driving (and sloshing), leaving the melted water in with the ice helped it last longer.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2016 at 07:21 AM

jeeze you guys, can we talk about something less divisive like the last election?
And I'm on the side of the Coleman Extremes, $100 will get you two of them and you're good to go. Good advise on the straps though, they are a bit weak in that department.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-26-2016 at 08:44 AM

Always keep our ice chests covered with moving pads from harbor Freight .......seems to help add an extra layer of insulation
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2016 at 10:10 AM

Water is a great insulator. It takes a lot of heat to raise its temperature and a lot of cold to lower it. So if you leave the cold water in it will keep the air cold and the ice will melt slower. But if the water is anywhere above freezing and you add ice to it, it will melt very fast, much faster than in even warmer air. So unless the water already has ice chunks floating in the cooler the water should be drained before adding any ice.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-26-2016 at 10:24 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
Water is a great insulator. It takes a lot of heat to raise its temperature and a lot of cold to lower it. So if you leave the cold water in it will keep the air cold and the ice will melt slower. But if the water is anywhere above freezing and you add ice to it, it will melt very fast, much faster than in even warmer air. So unless the water already has ice chunks floating in the cooler the water should be drained before adding any ice.

"...water is anywhere above freezing..."

Y'all should remember your HS physics:
It takes 80 calories to melt 1 cc of ice; and
It takes 1 calorie to raise 1 gr of water 1 degree C.

[Edited on 11-26-2016 by mtgoat666]

[Edited on 11-26-2016 by mtgoat666]

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.†“My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.â€

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2016 at 08:36 PM

I haven't accessed this thread in a while, sorry for the late response - the only reason I mentioned that dry ice might be illegal to bring across is precisely because it is illegal to take on a plane....

I will try to find out more info.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-27-2016 at 10:07 AM

Blanca, the aiplane ban prolly refers to the explosive realease of gas if your cooler is sealed tight and somehow water mixes with the dry ice. Google dry ice bomb!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.