BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: San Felipe, tourist permit?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 01:14 PM

The revised rule is reported that as soon as you enter Mexico, you are required to be documented. Walk into the INM office at the border and get an FMM. Free for 7 days or pay for 180 days. It is that simple. That nobody in Baja may ever request you to show it is another issue and doesn't change the rules but only makes them seem optional to casual border crossers.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 04:26 PM

A couple months back, on fb, a Tourist going to San Felipe,
crossing so. at the Downtown Mexicali crossing, encountered
a Mex Imm Official, who was standing just inside the red/green
lite entrance into Mexicali, on a very rare occasion they will do
this, asked the tourist where, how long were planning to be in Mex, San Felipe for 5 days was the answer, the Imm officer
said no tourist card required, have a good trip. I was in that
Imm office a few months back, asked for the 7 day fmm,
while he did not directly say it, I got the feeling he thought
it unnecessary for a few day visit. Some Imm offices seem
to be a little fluid with regs, but out of respect/courtesy
I always follow printed regs
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 04:29 PM

And again, you can buy it online for the same price and print on INM website together with Banjercito receipt. Then just stamp it at the border, takes a minute or two.

You will need to specify the crossing when filling the online form, this (probably) can't be changed later.

Keep Banjercito receipt, INM guy might want to see it.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
asked for the 7 day fmm,
while he did not directly say it, I got the feeling he thought
it unnecessary for a few day visit.

From his point of view this paperwork is useless when no money is collected for the govt. He himself doesn't benefit, either.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 04:52 PM

Like all the "tough rules" before... give it time, and the whole thing will be laughed at.

The U.S. border officers never insisted on a passport to come back home, even though that's what they said would be required (and we all went out and got one).

The Mexican border does not check every car, only a random red light and then just to check your cargo (for possible import duty $$) and not to see your FMM.

I think it just gets so boring all this regulation. The bottom line, we are desired by Mexico to come to Mexico, so why make it complicated?

The 180-day tourist card was FREE before mid-2000.
When large families could not afford to pay out a hundred dollars plus, just to enter Mexico, they went other places to vacation. Mexico's response was to create the FREE 7-day tourist card. It took a few years, however.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 04:55 PM

If it isn't happening already, I can see the lack of an FMM becoming a way to shake down someone for a mordida!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 05:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
If it isn't happening already, I can see the lack of an FMM becoming a way to shake down someone for a mordida!

It happened to Nomad amigo Art (edm-1) in July 2011. He and his wife crossed at Mexicali, and discovered while getting FMMs the wife's passport had just expired. They refused to issue her an FMM. So, already in Mexico and loaded up for 2 weeks + trip to Cabo and back, they went on. Back then, there was an INM checkpoint by the state border near Guerrero Negro (just before they spray the bottom of your car is a building and stop sign).
Well, the guy there made Art pay a "fine" of US$100. Magically, they could continue. I am summarizing but you can read Art's own words in his trip 2011 trip report.

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 10:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Like all the "tough rules" before... give it time, and the whole thing will be laughed at.

The U.S. border officers never insisted on a passport to come back home, even though that's what they said would be required (and we all went out and got one).

The Mexican border does not check every car, only a random red light and then just to check your cargo (for possible import duty $$) and not to see your FMM.

I think it just gets so boring all this regulation. The bottom line, we are desired by Mexico to come to Mexico, so why make it complicated?

When large families could not afford to pay out a hundred dollars plus, just to enter Mexico, they went other places to vacation. Mexico's response was to create the FREE 7-day tourist card. It took a few years, however.

Are you aware of any other countries which allow foreign nationals to enter their country, even for a few days, without visas or other documentation?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 08:02 AM

There are only two countries that Americans can drive into from America. For that reason, Canada and Mexico are not 'lumped into' the rest of the world's rules for travel.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 08:30 AM

Mexicans and Canadians are "Americans" along with people from Central "America" and South "America"..............

There are only two countries that Americans can drive into from America. For that reason, Canada and Mexico are not 'lumped into' the rest of the world's rules for travel.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 08:49 AM

On the flip side, usa should allow ALL Mexicans to enter USA on free 7-day tourist cards, no restrictions. Fair is fair.
Dk, Why do some of you gringos want free access to Mexico, but want to restrict mexican’s access to USA? You are so hypocritical! :lol:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

Sr.vienes
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 08:49 AM

Yes indeed Baja Guy, that your from the country of USA which is located in North America was pointed out to me by a really grumpy immigration official. I have answered I’m from the USA every since.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 09:34 AM

Goat, at the risk of being pulled into another of your black holes that screen out facts in favor of sound bites, I was talking about going into Mexico and that American tourism (and Canadian) is HUGE source of income for millions of Mexican citizens... and especially so in Baja California which to the rest of Mexico is more of a far-off island territory that has been so greatly ignored by D.F. (the capital). The less government regulation restricting lawful travelers to come to Mexico and spend money with the people, the better for the people of Baja.

I welcome you to create a thread about Mexican tourism going north. Maybe even post it on a Spanish, Alta California travel forum (is there one?)?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 09:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
Mexicans and Canadians are "Americans" along with people from Central "America" and South "America"..............

They are people who live in North America, however citizens of the nation of the United States of America are called "Americans" not "United State-ians"

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 09:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

They are people who live in North America, however citizens of the nation of the United States of America are called "Americans" not "United State-ians"

Dk, “American” is just one slang or informal term for usa citizens. Some other slang are norteamericano, Yankee, gringo, imperialist, SFA, pindo, hot dog eater,...

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 09:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Are you aware of any other countries which allow foreign nationals to enter their country, even for a few days, without visas or other documentation?

Yes, Europe. Once you are in one country of the European Union you can drive across any of the other countries borders without being checked. Like driving in the U.S. state to state.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 10:02 AM

If you go anywhere in the world and ask what country are Americans from the answer will be 100% the United States. Canadians, Mexicans and United States citizens are from North America, not America.
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 11:07 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

On the flip side, usa should allow ALL Mexicans to enter USA on free 7-day tourist cards, no restrictions. Fair is fair.
Dk, Why do some of you gringos want free access to Mexico, but want to restrict mexican’s access to USA?

Goat you're on to something, plus we can save $25 billion
$$$ on the wall

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 06:19 PM

Who said anything about free access to Mexico but not the U.S. Myself and many others follow the rules and laws of Mexico. I carry an annual insurance policy on both my trucks and I get an FMM permit as necessary when I cross the border. I renew my passport when due. I do not cross into Mexico illegally. I cross at the designated entry locations.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 09:26 PM

So because Americans can drive into Mexico and Canada, you think those sovereign countries should just give Americans a free pass?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.