BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mandatory return of FMM commencing?
JZ
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2019 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

That old 2017 FMM came in handy when I flew in to SJD. On the way back to the USA, I had misplaced the FMM for that trip - I just pulled out the old one from my last drive in trip - they took it, threw it in the stack, and I was free to go! later found the original FMM - keeping it as a backup!

Sneaky. I like it.

See Baja California in 4K: https://youtu.be/4VNTIhRa6q0

Ever wanted to camp on a deserted island in the Sea of Cortez? https://youtu.be/g3ThXCm3XSA

Come along for a ride of the famous Seven Sisters https://youtu.be/hrdzmTWPUQs

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 3-25-2019 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

That old 2017 FMM came in handy when I flew in to SJD. On the way back to the USA, I had misplaced the FMM for that trip - I just pulled out the old one from my last drive in trip - they took it, threw it in the stack, and I was free to go! later found the original FMM - keeping it as a backup!

Sneaky. I like it.

:light: Yes since the date stamp is almost always illegible.

[Edited on 3-25-2019 by Marc]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-25-2019 at 12:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Marc  
Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Sneaky. I like it.

:light: Yes since the date stamp is almost always illegible.

[Edited on 3-25-2019 by Marc]

no kidding! I've actually given up trying to decipher the date on some!
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 3-25-2019 at 05:32 PM

Tried to turn one in at the Los Cabos airport incoming immigration desk and the nice lady officer smiled, ripped it in two and dropped it in the trash.
Tried to get one issued in December at Otay for a morning meeting and the nice lady officer there also smiled and said "No necesito"

Laws made up and enacted on the fly, so to speak
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 06:06 AM

Even the bureaucrats hate the bureaucracy!

Last month, at the Otay crossing, three vehicles, 8 Americans, no FMM asked for going into Mexico and waiting in secondary for an hour to secure the import papers for the media equipment. The 'fixer' handled it and when I asked her if we go in to get FMMs, she said those were not needed since we were staying in the state of Baja California for less than a week.

Like the old days, well 10-20 years ago, anyway. Keep in mind, she was not a government agent but a company that facilitates TV and movie crews to operate in Mexico with border formalities and security.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 07:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Last month, at the Otay crossing, three vehicles, 8 Americans, no FMM asked for going into Mexico and waiting in secondary for an hour to secure the import papers for the media equipment. The 'fixer' handled it and when I asked her if we go in to get FMMs, she said those were not needed since we were staying in the state of Baja California for less than a week.

Like the old days, well 10-20 years ago, anyway. Keep in mind, she was not a government agent but a company that facilitates TV and movie crews to operate in Mexico with border formalities and security.

David K. maybe you should not put yourself out there as the defacto Baja expert, and then you wouldn't have The Goat questioning your knowledge a few posts back.

You act surprised when when those 8 media trucks were told no FMM needed for a short trip into Baja.

That's been my experience often when crossing the border that even walking in as a pedestrian they don't even bother fillng out a FMM once they find out my visit will be brief and like thousands of Americans I don't stop at the border in a car to pick up a FMM if my visit will be brief and not far from the border.

If I'm traveling by air in Mexico, I will folllow the procedures and if Mexico officials tear up the FMM upon leaving. I won't care because I know I will have no problems traveling to Mexico again regardless what happened to my last FMM.

I really don't pay attention to some rumor about some obsure post on some other site that claims if you didn't turn in your FMM you will have future travel problems.

Even if you talk to one Baja/Mexico official and he tells you what the laws are in Mexico, that doesn't make it gospel because he could be wrong and so you would need a lot more information to make an official statement about Mexican laws.

Only on the gringo sites especially on Talk Baja do they make such an big deal out of the FMM and then asign all these horror stories of what could happen to you if you do not have a FMM.

They claim you're an illegal Alien if you don't have a FMM and also claim if you get into an auto accident in Mexico without a FMM that your insurance company won't pay the claim......I just roll my eyes........and no I'm no Mexico expert by I cross the border often and see what goes on, and I know Mexico is not enforcing many of it's laws.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 07:14 AM

Did we determine if your facilitator was qualified or competent?
I suspect that a facilitator arranging for foreign workers should be knowledgeable in how to work legally. In this case i think you dont need a work visa, but you do need to do proper fmm.
Anywho, as an “expert” you really should research the true requirements instead of spinning yarns, sharing misc anecdotal info you pick up in the bar on on the net.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 07:30 AM

No yarns, I report EXACTLY what happened to ME.
You want to know more, then YOU go ahead and find out.
Do you know which way it is to Mexico? I wouldn't know if you do, based on the trip reports you have posted on Nomad!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

David K. maybe you should not put yourself out there as the defacto Baja expert, and then you wouldn't have The Goat questioning your knowledge a few posts back.

You act surprised when when those 8 media trucks were told no FMM needed for a short trip into Baja.

That's been my experience often when crossing the border that even walking in as a pedestrian they don't even bother fillng out a FMM once they find out my visit will be brief and like thousands of Americans I don't stop at the border in a car to pick up a FMM if my visit will be brief and not far from the border.

If I'm traveling by air in Mexico, I will folllow the procedures and if Mexico officials tear up the FMM upon leaving. I won't care because I know I will have no problems traveling to Mexico again regardless what happened to my last FMM.

I really don't pay attention to some rumor about some obsure post on some other site that claims if you didn't turn in your FMM you will have future travel problems.

Even if you talk to one Baja/Mexico official and he tells you what the laws are in Mexico, that doesn't make it gospel because he could be wrong and so you would need a lot more information to make an official statement about Mexican laws.

Only on the gringo sites especially on Talk Baja do they make such an big deal out of the FMM and then asign all these horror stories of what could happen to you if you do not have a FMM.

They claim you're an illegal Alien if you don't have a FMM and also claim if you get into an auto accident in Mexico without a FMM that your insurance company won't pay the claim......I just roll my eyes........and no I'm no Mexico expert by I cross the border often and see what goes on, and I know Mexico is not enforcing many of it's laws.

Oh you are so correct Joe. Wouldn't want anyone or any site promoting following the law. After all we are Gringos who can do what we want.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Oh you are so correct Joe. Wouldn't want anyone or any site promoting following the law. After all we are Gringos who can do what we want.

Norte my opinion will change when I actually see members posting actual Mexican laws, and legal contracts, for example on auto insurance polices, then perhaps I will change my opinion.

Now what Hook posted below, has nothing to do with law, than it does with board gossip by some obscure member that doesn't come back and answer for his posting. ( I have nothing against Hook this time because he is trying to verify the info)

When David K. posts something some Baja official, told him, that doesn't make it law either, although I'm sure David K is very knowledgeable about Mexico.

Face it, laws in Mexico, are not always black and white, nor are they always enforced. So if a Mexican official tells you he is not going to accept your FMM on your exit from Mexico, just accept it.

Now there are a few of you that get caught up with what you think is the law, to a point of bordering on ridiculous. On the back on the FMM, it says to return it upon leaving Mexico, and that's for airlines, by car, or walking.

There are a few crazy people here, who actually try to return the FMM when they made a brief trip to Baja by car or walking.

Hey get it through your heads, Baja has no procedures in place to return the FMM by car or walking, nor does anybody care. In fact, we heard since 2015 Mexico, tells you that you are no longer required to turn it in upon exit by car or foot)

Hook wrote: Just got word that someone trying to re-enter Mexico at Nogales, AZ was denied a new FMM because they had not turned in their old one. This was on a San Carlos message board.

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 01:18 PM

I quote an inmate who once said:
"If you're into deep enough chit where you need an FMM, then you better f *** ng well have one".
Of course, if that were to happen, I doubt very much he/she/they would brag about or relate their experience.:o

To each their own.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 02:12 PM

Offtopic. Coming without FMM has nothing to do with returning (or not) FMM. Except for when you leave you vehicle and fly back North.

"Flexible" approach of Mexican officers to their own law is well known, unfortunately.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 02:30 PM

Well, I did NOT return my FMM, issued almost exactly 6 months earlier. That makes my reply on topic, I hope?

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 03:09 PM

The "fixer" is full of crap.

BajaBill74
Nomad

Mood: Beyond Extatic!

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 03:25 PM

Years ago, crossing at San Ysidro I offered my expired FMM for the man to copy and he said "Don't show me that or I'll have to arrest you."

What I'm doing at work is so secret, even I don't know what I'm doing!

One should believe in God, because even Google doesn't know everything.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 03:49 PM

She may be Terry, but she gets paid the big bucks to take care of these media people.

When I questioned her about needing FMMs, she said "where did you hear that???"
Oh, from the INM officers at the border...

It wasn't my place to correct this Mexican professional doing her job, in her own country, but I tried to put it in the form of a question.

Of course, nowhere did we need to present tourist cards or passports during our 4 days and three nights in Mexico. Passports only to show U.S. officers returning. Heck, I spent a total of 9 weeks or more the past two years traveling up and down the length of the peninsula, 15,000 miles, and never was asked to present the FMM (that I always had on me).

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 04:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  
Quote: Originally posted by norte  

Norte my opinion will change when I actually see members posting actual Mexican laws, and legal contracts, for example on auto insurance polices, then perhaps I will change my opinion.

Now what Hook posted below, has nothing to do with law, than it does with board gossip by some obscure member that doesn't come back and answer for his posting. ( I have nothing against Hook this time because he is trying to verify the info)

When David K. posts something some Baja official, told him, that doesn't make it law either, although I'm sure David K is very knowledgeable about Mexico.

Face it, laws in Mexico, are not always black and white, nor are they always enforced. So if a Mexican official tells you he is not going to accept your FMM on your exit from Mexico, just accept it.

Now there are a few of you that get caught up with what you think is the law, to a point of bordering on ridiculous. On the back on the FMM, it says to return it upon leaving Mexico, and that's for airlines, by car, or walking.

There are a few crazy people here, who actually try to return the FMM when they made a brief trip to Baja by car or walking.

Hey get it through your heads, Baja has no procedures in place to return the FMM by car or walking, nor does anybody care. In fact, we heard since 2015 Mexico, tells you that you are no longer required to turn it in upon exit by car or foot)

Hook wrote: Just got word that someone trying to re-enter Mexico at Nogales, AZ was denied a new FMM because they had not turned in their old one. This was on a San Carlos message board.

Wow. I did not think there was any question about having to have one. Read your own post again... Do I need to get the law for you. https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 04:29 PM

from JJJ post "That's been my experience often when crossing the border that even walking in as a pedestrian they don't even bother fillng out a FMM once they find out my visit will be brief and like thousands of Americans I don't stop at the border in a car to pick up a FMM if my visit will be brief and not far from the border." and he needs to read the law above.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 05:15 PM

Did you guys read the Mexican government link? It says a passport card is only good for visiting the border zone areas and not for the interior of then republic! You must get a passport book!

Here is a copy from that site:

The applicant is aware that the card passport (Tarjeta Pasaporte) can only be used in the border crossings by land and for visiting the border zone; it might not be used to travel to the territory of the Mexican Republic or used for international air trips.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2019 at 05:18 PM

Did you guys read the Mexican government link? It says a passport card is only good for visiting the border zone areas and not for the interior of then republic! You must get a passport book!

Here is a copy from that site:

The applicant is aware that the card passport (Tarjeta Pasaporte) can only be used in the border crossings by land and for visiting the border zone; it might not be used to travel to the territory of the Mexican Republic or used for international air trips.

"might not"?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.