Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: South Dakota domicile
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 02:09 PM

Geez, I've not been pulled over for probably 30 years. So I don't worry too much on this stuff. Guess I need to start driving faster, wear cooler shades, carry that 16-oz can of beer a bit higher.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 06:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
Quote: Originally posted by Alan  
I'm a little curious why you are going through all these gyrations to register your vehicle?

I simply called them and explained that I lived in SoCal and had a vehicle I kept in Baja and that I wanted to register it in South Dakota. She asked the make, model and year so she could determine registration costs. Shed said to send that amount along with the pink slip and then asked where I wanted the plates sent.

In just over a week I received my new SD plates along with my new pink slip showing my CA address.

Why are you getting the drivers license? Mexico doesn't care if your Drivers License matches you license plate, only that they are current.

South Dakota knows a good deal when they see it. They are happy to take my money knowing I'm never going to drive on and wear out their roads just for about 50 cents worth of metal.

[Edited on 8-11-2019 by Alan]

metal? mine are made out of some kind of cardboard:coolup: so has anyone been cited driving in california for having ca. DL with SD plates, is it just a ticket or is a appearance necessary?
My SD plated car stays in Baja (with metal license plates). CA would love to see me driving it in their state. Anything that adds to the State coffers. If they can't tax it or regulate it, they prohibit it!

In Memory of E-57
RocketJSquirrel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 06:15 PM

I've been driving my Baja-based SD-plated car in California for years. Never a problem. Never even been pulled over. Hey! Wouldn't that be "profiling"?

[Edited on 8-12-2019 by RocketJSquirrel]
msdmer

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 12:19 PM

Thanks Folks!

I got my license and plates by going through Dakota Post--Easy peasy!

Here's another business similar to America's Mailbox. Located in Sioux Falls.

https://dakotapost.net/

You get an address with a mailbox from one of these services and use that address to register your car and get a license.

[Edited on 8-8-2019 by SFandH]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 12:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msdmer  
Thanks Folks!

I got my license and plates by going through Dakota Post--Easy peasy!

License through the mail? Or do you mean registration?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 03:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by RocketJSquirrel  
I've been driving my Baja-based SD-plated car in California for years. Never a problem. Never even been pulled over. Hey! Wouldn't that be "profiling"?

[Edited on 8-12-2019 by RocketJSquirrel]

Maybe you've posted that you have a California DL's? If you do, and you're stopped with out of state plates, while driving in California, you will be given a citation (summons) to appear in court. You will need to convince a judge why you have a legitimate need to have a out of state plate.

Improbable you'll be stopped for SD plates while driving but for a common traffic infraction.

If you don't have a California DL, the point is moot.

If your vehicle is driven in Baja most of the year and you can prove this, bring proof.

How the CHP operates:
www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/cheaters-out-of-state-(out-of-state-registration-violators)

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 03:48 PM

My dad used to be in the trailer sales biz.
He had customers that registered in SoDakota
His first caution was "You better have plates on the tow rig that match the trailer, otherwise no cop will let you pass by without a ticket"

I have friends here in Central Cal that have registered their expensive cars in Nevada. Periodically the cops will send teams around and note Nevada plates parked in residential areas. They usually get a "Fix-it" ticket, which if they can prove Nevada residence gets cancelled.

I don't run plates on the front of my Porsche, it was not really designed for front plates. Couple months ago the local cops made the rounds of the parking lots and garages and cited all cars without front plates.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 03:56 PM

It was quite a few years ago, but my dad got called out for registering his motorhome at my sisters house in Portland, although the house in Nevada County had been his only residence since 1947! I don't know the details, and he has since passed away, so that is all I will ever know.

It might be more of a local thing, I got checked twice within a six month period when I first started snow birding down here, but nothing in the last eight years or so.

Both times I was asked how long the car had been in CA, but since I have an AK DL, and claim that I drive it home annually, no citations were ever issued for anything.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 03:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  

I have friends here in Central Cal that have registered their expensive cars in Nevada.

Can they get an insurance policy with a CA address and Nevada plates?

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-12-2019 at 04:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

Can they get an insurance policy with a CA address and Nevada plates?

No problem, but different companies have different requirements and state requirements also vary. With my company, I have separate policies for Alaska and California.

My AK policy only has the cars I register and store there. The CA policy has both CA and AK plated cars that I primarily drive or store down here.

For what it is worth, it is cheaper to register a car in Alaska, but insurance is cheaper in California!

[Edited on 8-12-2019 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
msdmer

[*] posted on 8-13-2019 at 03:31 AM

*****"License through the mail? Or do you mean registration"

I went in person
bajatrailrider
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-14-2019 at 09:27 AM

I got all my rigs lic in S Dakota by mail then they called me took credit card number. So easy as far as driving in so cal never had a problem. 12 years before that new truck had OR plates. Again no problem even my Mex plated truck zero problems to drive in USA. With me having CA and Mex lic zero problems with SD plates
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.