BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Incident at Coco's Corner, reported 8-24-20, on Facebook. GoFundMe link added.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-25-2020 at 03:47 PM

I see these posts where people are gifting to coco beer and womens panties. Y’all should give him a SPOT or garmin satellite emergency device. He doesnt need more beer and panties, he needs a help line.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-25-2020 at 04:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
So he could in theory use SPOT?
Garmin's inReach devices are better as it uses Iridium satellites, 100% coverage. Spot is 'spotty' and much more difficult to email with.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-25-2020 at 05:07 PM

I take Coco things he can eat that don't need refrigeration, and things he can sell, like beer and sodas. I don't think he drinks much beer these days, but it is what a lot of people want to buy when they stop there.

What is that phrase.....A monkey can't sell bananas?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
baja Steve
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 11:29 AM

I have known Coco for many many years and worked with him through both amputations. He is diabetic so when bring food to him try to make it low sugar and at the same time healthy, caned fish and meats along with vegetables. I try to make sure he a warm jacket for the winter along with other appropriate warm clothes.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 11:44 AM

:light:
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
I see these posts where people are gifting to coco beer and womens panties. Y’all should give him a SPOT or garmin satellite emergency device. He doesnt need more beer and panties, he needs a help line.

It seems he can sell the beer as well as drink it. I suggested a while back that he could sell some of his panty collection as Covid masks during this epidemic, so he could probably use more of both. A satellite location aid would also be very helpful in his situation. I am going to upgrade from my vintage Spot unit so I will drop it off next time I’m down that way if he doesn’t have anything else by then.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 01:21 PM

There are some challenges as to how a SPOT or inReach device will work for him. It will requires subscription fees, and probably someone to manage the account and donate the ongoing fees. It must be kept charged and on his person and/or vehicle. Requires literacy to use text functions. Requires some tech savvy to figure out how to operate. Will need an operation manual in a language in which he is literate, or personal instruction. If just for dire emergencies and the SOS button, then just some basic instruction.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 05:37 PM

You can use rechargeable batteries in Spot but I never have.I use Lithium batteries and they seem to last a long time. I'm not sure what Coco's ability is on typing a message. I'm also not familiar with the new Spot devices. My Spot sends the regular I'm OK with the GPS coordinates in an email. It also has a need help button and a SOS button. The InReach type devices have more features that allow typing messages but I'm not sure if that isn't making it more complicated for Coco.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2020 at 06:23 PM

The newer Spot devices have the email ability too, but it is far more difficult to use than the inReach email exchange. At least for the receiving end.

The problem with the original Spot is that all you can send is three pre-selected messages and no way to elaborate as to what you need.

The inReach (DeLorme, then Garmin) allows you to have two-way communication so you can describe what you need or just chat. It sends to email or phone text, anywhere in the world. It also allows your friends or family to see where you are and follow you (if you want) on a live (almost live) map of your location. I chatted with several Nomad friends and my wife during my 8 Baja research trips. TMW, StuckSucks, Baja Geoff, and BajaNomad could see where I was and send me messages. StuckSucks saw that I was on a dead-end road (by mistake) and let me know! LOL

When traveling solo, it is a relief to know you are not really alone when your family and friends are seeing your location and chatting with you.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2020 at 03:51 PM

Recently (Baja legend) Coco's truck transmission gave out causing him to crawl on his hands and stumps back about 1.5 miles to his house.

Luckily my wife and I happened by the next AM and helped him tow his truck back to his house before it got stripped and burned, which happens quickly to abandoned vehicles. He has no phone or other means of communication at his house. Knowing he needed a transmission, a group of us went to his place with a truck and car hauler. We checked out the truck and found numerous other problems present or waiting to happen. We had a mechanic in the group to help with the assessment and it was clear that this truck was beyond repair. Since the new road went through he has very little business.

In Coco's situation he needs a dependable vehicle not only for everyday supplies but for medical visits to Ensenada .
We are raising money to purchase Coco a better vehicle so he won't be left in that situation again.

Coco and all involved will be very appreciative if we can make this happen.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/cocos-corner-vehicle?utm_source=f...

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2020 at 07:15 AM

Doesn't Coco have mods to drive the truck? Seems a better solution is a new or rebuild trans. Probably many times less costly that a replacement truck?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2020 at 08:55 AM

Here is one Facebook reply on why fixing the tranny isn't enough:

"... it needs so much more than that. Tire on one side is cambered out about 10 degrees. Torsion bar is completely missing on one side so suspension is down on the bumps. Front axles are out on the ground. All tires are bald. That's in just a 5 min inspection."

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2020 at 09:05 AM

yup, get a better truck and eat the cost of the handicap controls.
Sometimes the cheapest truck is not a good deal. I guess that is what he had?
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 9-1-2020 at 09:33 AM

My brother was a paraplegic, and his hand controls were transferred easily to several different vehicles over the years. What ever truck Coco winds up with, it should be a tough, basic truck that requires a minimum of maintenance.

I can't see the need for four wheel drive to get to and from the city, and he shouldn't let others take his truck where he doesn't need to go. Good tires, good shocks, and alignment would be more important, and should last him for years!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2020 at 09:42 AM

I read that they will shop for a truck in Ensenada. 2WD, 4 or 6 cyl. The pickup bed only needs to serve Coco for a place to sleep when he goes to see his doctor in Ensenada and to transport a 55 gallon drum of water.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2020 at 06:01 PM

The RAM sure did not last long. Makes me wonder if any truck will.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-2-2020 at 06:06 PM

He is no longer in a "remote" area.....
Paved highway is just minutes away
No way does he need 4 wheel drive!
Classic overkill for nearly everyone, and especially for him

And, as I recall, lending a vehicle a couple years ago ended in his pal having a fatal crash, and getting Coco all kinds of exposure, not to mention losing his vehicle.
He is pretty kind hearted, sometimes hard to say no....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2020 at 06:55 PM

He needs to say no more often. He needs to learn who he can trust and who he can't.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.