Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Permanent resident status question
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-30-2021 at 05:50 PM

When they first instituted the RP, many were told that you had to go through 3-4 years of RT, just to be able to qualify for the RP. It ended up being several thousand pesos to get to the RP status and then there was the cost of the RP.

Within a year, Mexico issued guidelines that allowed one to prove a level of income/wealth that allowed one to qualify for RP without the RT transition.

What's the status now? If you can qualify directly with a certain level of "wealth", what are the economic requirements?

Personally, I would wait until you are ready to move south for good. Things change. If you ever wanted to take a US plated vehicle to the mainland, it's not possible if you both have RP. But if one of you do, that person can get a permit for doing that. That's what my wife and I have done.

And I guess it's conceivable that they could dissolve the vehicle permit exemption for Baja and northern Sonora (and some area in the way south). It's been "threatened" before. If they did, you would have to import your vehicle (if eligible and very expensive) or buy a Mexican plated car (and get a Mexican driver's license).

There is also some conflicting info about how long an RP lasts. I have heard "forever" and 10 years.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2021 at 06:42 PM

These days
No temp just Perm
For sure wait until you are in Baja then visit Migration and get the latest info.
Hopefully you can get an address with an electric bill on your 6 month FMM and do it during that period. Makes it easier.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-30-2021 at 07:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

There is also some conflicting info about how long an RP lasts. I have heard "forever" and 10 years.

What you've "heard" is immaterial. Nowhere in INM's information is stated anything about it being valid for 10 years. That's just some uninformed gringo chatter.

The word "permanent"has a universally understood definition. So unless INM changes their policies, RP is permanent. Perhaps you'd be questioned if you were out of the country for 8 years and then tried to reenter on your PM, but that's hypothetical.
Bajazly
Super Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 1-30-2021 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
These days
No temp just Perm

If you don't have the income/wealth Hook spoke about you do need to do the RT for 4 or 5 years or that is the way the agent I talked to here described it. I just asked for RP up front and with all the docs I provided they granted it right off.

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Bajazly
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2021 at 08:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
Perhaps you'd be questioned if you were out of the country for 8 years and then tried to reenter on your PM, but that's hypothetical.

But how would they know how long you were out of the country? They wouldn't know if you had crossed north the day before and were returning home, if you even got stopped and they scanned your card.

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2021 at 10:15 PM

What you've "heard" is immaterial. Nowhere in INM's information is stated anything about it being valid for 10 years. That's just some uninformed gringo chatter.

The word "permanent"has a universally understood definition. So unless INM changes their policies, RP is permanent. Perhaps you'd be questioned if you were out of the country for 8 years and then tried to reenter on your PM, but that's hypothetical.

I think the term permanent means you INTEND to stay in Mexico permanently. I don't think it was intended to mean the document was PERMANENTLY valid.

BTW, the question about a 10 year expiration was not gringo chatter. It was from an INM agent at the Guaymas office in Sonora. She claimed that you would be forced to get a new one because they want an updated photo every ten years.

:?:
Bajazly
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2021 at 10:34 PM

I think the term permanent means you INTEND to stay in Mexico permanently. I don't think it was intended to mean the document was PERMANENTLY valid.

BTW, the question about a 10 year expiration was not gringo chatter. It was from an INM agent at the Guaymas office in Sonora. She claimed that you would be forced to get a new one because they want an updated photo every ten years.

You need to re up your green card in the US every 10 years so not out of line to redo a PR card every 10 years.

Harald Pietschmann

Bajazly, August 2019
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-31-2021 at 01:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Perhaps you'd be questioned if you were out of the country for 8 years and then tried to reenter on your PM, but that's hypothetical.

But how would they know how long you were out of the country? They wouldn't know if you had crossed north the day before and were returning home, if you even got stopped and they scanned your card.

Well, I said perhaps and that it's hypothetical. If you fly in and out, then there is a record of your entries and exits. Driving, not so much unless you stop at INM and check in and out. Which those who consider that they might want to apply for Mexican citizenship in the future would be wise to do.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-31-2021 at 01:31 AM

What one INM agent in Guaymas claimed can hardly be taken as some sort of fact. And there is no expiry date on the PR card. So if a new one was needed every 10 years, wouldn't it stand to reason that there would be an expiry date, like there is on a driver's license, a passport or a temporary residency permit?

[Edited on 1-31-2021 by surabi]

ch47pilot
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2021 at 06:38 AM

Now I am confused, I also did not have a Temporal card I went from FM3 to PR. We have no income problems but Paperworks did our processing for my wife and last week she got a very nice Residente Temporal card and Immigration said she would get her Permenante in two years. This is in Cabo.
brucedog
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2021 at 08:01 AM

Do you know if your consulate is open for appointments for RP? I looked it up in Portland, OR last summer and they said they were not scheduling appointments because of the pandemic. Would love to get it done this summer

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2021 at 09:29 AM

Wow what a bunch of wild speculation.
Let me repeat with real factual info
These days --- No temp just Perm
For sure wait until you are in Baja then visit local Baja Migration office and get the latest info.
Hopefully you can get an address with an electric bill on your 6 month FMM and do it during that period. Makes it easier.

Yes you can do all the forms yourself with help of Google translator.
My son and his wife just did it. It took 3 tries, and the local Migration official was very impressed and she helped him with his typos. Quite an experience. He used his phone to translate and the laptop for the forms both at the same time. At our San Felipe location. Internet connection required.
Based on his experience I recommend hiring an implementer to do the paperwork like I and my wife did. It was pretty painless except for the cost which was not too bad.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2021 at 11:48 AM

This site is helpful to provide TR/PR process links and info

https://yucalandia.com/answers-to-common-questions/new-rules...

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-31-2021 at 02:32 PM

What one INM agent in Guaymas claimed can hardly be taken as some sort of fact. And there is no expiry date on the PR card. So if a new one was needed every 10 years, wouldn't it stand to reason that there would be an expiry date, like there is on a driver's license, a passport or a temporary residency permit?

I've lived in Mexico long enough to know that there is very little that can be called "some sort of fact".

But I can tell you this. It wasn't gringo chatter/gossip/chisme. THAT'S a fact. :smug:
s/v Ola Chica

question.gif posted on 2-1-2021 at 01:54 PM
Visa related, but slightly OT

I moved my sailboat from San Diego to Ensenada @ the Hotel Coral Marina back in November 2019 and it was documented with the necessary Mexican Temporary Import Permit (TIP) that is valid for 10 years. Is this sufficient grounds to acquire a residency visa? I realize asking here is a shot in the dark, but I thought I'd give it a try. Any input welcome.
defrag4
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2021 at 02:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ch47pilot  
I do not believe that you can get a Residente Permanente without having a Residente Temporal for two years. I have had my RP for several years and my wife just got her Residente Temporal based on being permanent residents and my having the RP.

you can skip straight to the permanente if you meet the financial requirements

Driving the PanAmerican Highway
https://www.facebook.com/homeonthehighway/
surabi
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 2-2-2021 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ch47pilot  
Now I am confused, I also did not have a Temporal card I went from FM3 to PR. We have no income problems but Paperworks did our processing for my wife and last week she got a very nice Residente Temporal card and Immigration said she would get her Permenante in two years. This is in Cabo.

What exactly are you confused about? You, like I, never had a temporal card because those didn't exist back then- what is now called a temporal used to be called an FM3. They are essentially the same thing. So we just segued to permanente when our FM3s ran out, or in my case, I had a couple 5 year renewals of the FM3 before they changed the immigration policies to say if you wanted to renew the temporary status, you had to do it from outside the country, which didn't used to be the case.

Yes, your wife will be eligible for her permanente in 2 years. Don't let all these other folks confuse you.

[Edited on 2-3-2021 by surabi]
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2021 at 12:53 PM

is anyone here available for medical consultation? i require multiple opinions.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.