Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: restraining your pooch in your car
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 08:43 PM

To be clear about my shakedown, I was pulled over for a different bullshoot reason. When they saw the dog, they dropped the first reason for pulling me over and concentrated on the loose dog bit.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2023 at 08:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
To be clear about my shakedown, I was pulled over for a different bullshoot reason. When they saw the dog, they dropped the first reason for pulling me over and concentrated on the loose dog bit.

Yes sir. That is why all of the advice on here about following the rules are so funny.

The rules in Mexico are definitely a MOVING target.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2023 at 05:55 AM

I drive a tall F250 w tinted windows in back. They were in a small patrol car. Maybe they saw my dog barely behind the window but could not possibly know he was not leashed. Dog plus gringo near border probably in a hurry to get home equals good opportunity for mordida. As I said I played their game and said I’d go to the police station and pay the fine. They clearly did not want to do that. Don’t pay mordidas.
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2023 at 09:52 PM

Does anyone have the actual law or code, or whatever they call it? I am wondering what constitutes "restrained"? We travel with a 14lb dog, either laying on the floorboard of the front seat or in the lap of the passenger. After hearing about this law, I attached a 3' leash under the seat that we clip to her harness. Would this count as restrained? My guess is the cops only care about this law because they can use it to extort Americans, seeing as how its no problem to have children in the bed of a truck unrestrained, or 2 year olds standing on the passenger seat unrestrained.
Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2023 at 05:43 PM

They specifically said the dog must be in a cage or restrained on a leash. In the lap of the driver or passenger will not do it. Nor will sitting anywhere in the car without restraint. I did similar to you. I went to Walmart and bought two cheap ($1.50) 4' leashes that I looped around the seatbelt base and connected to the dog's collars when I drive through Mexicali. They were securely tethered but still had enough leash to move around in the back seat and look out the windows. Honestly they didn't even seem to notice anything was different. But I don't think you will be safe since you are restraining the dog in the front. I think they want them in back away from the driver. And regardless of how the law is written, you want to please the local policia. And they want the dogs in back. Good luck.
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2023 at 09:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
They specifically said the dog must be in a cage or restrained on a leash. In the lap of the driver or passenger will not do it. Nor will sitting anywhere in the car without restraint. I did similar to you. I went to Walmart and bought two cheap ($1.50) 4' leashes that I looped around the seatbelt base and connected to the dog's collars when I drive through Mexicali. They were securely tethered but still had enough leash to move around in the back seat and look out the windows. Honestly they didn't even seem to notice anything was different. But I don't think you will be safe since you are restraining the dog in the front. I think they want them in back away from the driver. And regardless of how the law is written, you want to please the local policia. And they want the dogs in back. Good luck.

Did they say the dog had to be in the back? I fully understand the enforcement is probably very fluid, based on the situation. That is why I was hoping to get the actual letter of the law. "Restrained" is a pretty broad word. I'm hoping leashing the dog like we do is within the letter of the law, even if the policia interpret it differently during a shakedown, I'd rather be in the right.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-14-2023 at 09:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeachSeeker  

Did they say the dog had to be in the back? I fully understand the enforcement is probably very fluid, based on the situation. That is why I was hoping to get the actual letter of the law. "Restrained" is a pretty broad word. I'm hoping leashing the dog like we do is within the letter of the law, even if the policia interpret it differently during a shakedown, I'd rather be in the right.

I assume you would buckle in your child or grandchild. So why do you not care enough about your pet to restrain them so they can survive a rollover or head on collision?

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2023 at 09:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BeachSeeker  
Does anyone have the actual law or code, or whatever they call it? I am wondering what constitutes "restrained"?

How do you restrain a human being so they can survive rollover or head-on collision? Doesn’t your dog deserve to survive a crash? Should you be better protected than your loved ones? You are the driver, so you are responsible for your pet’s life.

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2023 at 10:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

How do you restrain a human being so they can survive rollover or head-on collision? Doesn’t your dog deserve to survive a crash? Should you be better protected than your loved ones? You are the driver, so you are responsible for your pet’s life.

Get off of your soapbox already. This has nothing to do with the policia caring about the life of your pet, while the familia drives by with their kids in the bed of the truck. Even in America, the few places that do have dog restraint laws are there specifically to keep the pet from distracting the driver, and have nothing to do with pet safety. I asked if anyone knew the letter of the law, a simple "no" would suffice.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2023 at 08:18 AM

I'll ask again, anyone have the actual law, so that maybe we could carry a copy for reference?
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2023 at 09:36 AM

Thanks for the attempt Lencho. The first link is the only thing official, and the only mention of pets I could find is Article 59 saying that drivers are prohibited from having children, pets, or objects on their laps. No mention of restraining pets.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2023 at 10:19 AM

You need to look up the Mexicali municipal code…
https://www.mexicali.gob.mx

Woke!

Doug/Vamonos
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2023 at 11:39 AM

So your intention is to play lawyer on the side of the road with the policia and to argue about a law as to whether your dog can sit on the front floor and you are going to show them your printout? Seriously? Good luck with that! I'll wave and laugh as I drive past you.
BeachSeeker
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2023 at 03:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

If you want the specific law for Mexicali, for example, it's in the REGLAMENTO DE TRÁNSITO PARA EL MUNICIPIO DE MEXICALI, BAJA CALIFORNIA, Artículo 54, fracción XXIII, which prohibits:

"XXIII.- Transportar animales en vehículos de motor, ya sea en el interior o en la cajuela de los mismos, sin sujeción a una correa o caja de traslado;"

Thanks Lencho. I think I'll just get one of the leashes that attaches to the seatbelt receptacle. Seems like that is legal.

So your intention is to play lawyer on the side of the road with the policia and to argue about a law as to whether your dog can sit on the front floor and you are going to show them your printout? Seriously? Good luck with that! I'll wave and laugh as I drive past you.

No, my intention is to know the law so that I can operate my vehicle legally.

[Edited on 8-19-2023 by BeachSeeker]
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2023 at 01:19 PM

Thanks Lencho , this clarifies that a leash should be accepted as well as a cage. I'll wave back to Doug! :biggrin:
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2023 at 01:30 PM

Doesn't matter when the law was enacted or what it means generally, or specifically. The law is interpreted by police and gringoes are the targets.

Seriously doubt MX's are cited for any violations around restraints.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2023 at 01:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Doesn't matter when the law was enacted or what it means generally, or specifically. The law is interpreted by police and gringoes are the targets.

Seriously doubt MX's are cited for any violations around restraints.

Bingo
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2023 at 04:41 PM

Here are some stats. In USA:
>100,000 dogs die each year from riding in pickup beds unrestrained (many more are maimed or injured)
By comparison, 43,000 people die each year from vehicle accidents

An unrestrained pet that weighs 50 pounds, in a 35 mph collision, can be projected forward with 1,500 pounds of force

Woke!

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2023 at 05:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Here are some stats. In USA:
>100,000 dogs die each year from riding in pickup beds unrestrained (many more are maimed or injured)
By comparison, 43,000 people die each year from vehicle accidents

An unrestrained pet that weighs 50 pounds, in a 35 mph collision, can be projected forward with 1,500 pounds of force

Who is keeping these stats? I know local police and state police dont enter unrestrained pets into a check box anywhere.

Where does this come from?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.