Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Salute to all my fellow veterans
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2023 at 11:32 AM

I felt bad for the Vietnam vets in that regard- it was the first time vets didn't return home to be lauded as heroes. Must have been awful to come back traumatized mentally and physically and have people put the blame on you for going to war. And it's not like most enlisted- they were drafted and the options of fleeing the country or choosing to go to prison as a contientious objector weren't exactly enticing to anyone, even the ones who did flee. It's not like the draft dodgers thought, "Oh, goodie, I've always wanted to live in Canada"- they were leaving their families, the place they had been born and lived their whole lives behind, without knowing if they would ever be allowed to go back, and going somewhere they knew no one, had no secured employment or living situation, and also fearful of being tracked down and sent to prison. Anyone who thinks that was an easy decision is uninformed.

[Edited on 11-12-2023 by surabi]

KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 11-12-2023 at 12:16 PM

We are often told that "we must support the troops." My reply is that we support the troops by not putting them in harm's way for a bad cause.
Kurt: US Army 1962-65
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2023 at 12:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
The custom and practice of thanking vets seems to have evolved after returning Viet Nam vets were berated for participating in a highly unpopular war. A sort of social guilt behavior.

I honestly prefer this gratitude, however rehearsed it might be, over the scorn dealt out to some of my older friends after returning home from Vietnam.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
surfhat
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2023 at 01:46 PM

As the son of a greatest generation Marine corps pilot who served in WW2, Korea and Viet Nam, I have always honored those who chose to serve our nation, including those who were drafted.

It is so easy to honor all who have served our nation. Period.

Semper Fi applies to more than the Marines, and it damn well should to anyone who has served to defend our nation in times of conflict.

Some conflicts deserve resistance. VN was one, but not the only one.

Nevertheless, all soldiers in every service deserve our respect on this one day of the year that all veterans have earned the right to be honored by each one, dare I ay, everyone of us. Period.

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-13-2023 at 09:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pauldavidmena  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
The custom and practice of thanking vets seems to have evolved after returning Viet Nam vets were berated for participating in a highly unpopular war. A sort of social guilt behavior.

I honestly prefer this gratitude, however rehearsed it might be, over the scorn dealt out to some of my older friends after returning home from Vietnam.

Sounds like you're going to continue using this worn out phrase.

If someone thanks me for service, I might ask if they served? And, if not, why not? Didn't hear the call? Too busy?

If someone disrespects my service, they might regret the dire consequences.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 11-13-2023 at 01:10 PM

I think some of you ex military and Jarheads are wound a little too tight. Stick to your beliefs if you wish and IMO then let the negative go. Anger gets you nothing. Yes, we want to teach the next generations of our past mistakes but build it with a positive as well as negative views. We as a country made MAJOR f--k ups but has got it right every now and then.
Education of the current generation is so important but your anger will turn them against us.
Howard
0311, E-2-7, 7th Regiment, 1965-1967

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-13-2023 at 02:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Howard  
I think some of you ex military and Jarheads are wound a little too tight. Stick to your beliefs if you wish and IMO then let the negative go. Anger gets you nothing. Yes, we want to teach the next generations of our past mistakes but build it with a positive as well as negative views. We as a country made MAJOR f--k ups but has got it right every now and then.
Education of the current generation is so important but your anger will turn them against us.
Howard
0311, E-2-7, 7th Regiment, 1965-1967

Well said Howard! I can be friends with someone with polar opposite ideas than mine as long as they are willing stick to an honest exchange of questions and answers.

I have no use for those who need to label others, lump them together, and verbally put them in their place!

One of those with polar opposite ideas during my military service was my older brother. He was a UC Santa Cruz student (political science) and was an anti-war protester! The wedge between us never got driven home, and there was never a time that we were not "Brothers" above all else.

To his credit, he decided to "serve" in the Peace Corps after graduation and shipped off to India.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 11-14-2023 at 09:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Which could have been as hazardous to his health, as your time "serving" in Korea.

You nailed it! He became extremely ill and suffered long term damage to his liver and pancreas.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-14-2023 at 09:22 PM

I couldn’t agree more with all that Surabi has said.

Funny thing is that I am here in Hiroshima and it’s been 50 years since I was here as a sailor. Back then I did go to the A-bomb memorial, it was a horrible experience, I felt like a complete piece of sh*T and was not proud of being an American.
I’ve always felt that the powers that be could have targeted a military base, instead of wasting innocent civilians.

The Vietnam war was started by the USA for financial reasons.
The USA has a long history of controlling and taking over countries in the name of “democracy “. what a joke that is.

America is not near as “free” as they brainwash the sheeple to believe….

But, truth be told, the USA is really controlled by the Federal Reserve and the Literati……

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2023 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Funny thing is that I am here in Hiroshima and it’s been 50 years since I was here as a sailor. Back then I did go to the A-bomb memorial, it was a horrible experience, I felt like a complete piece of sh*T and was not proud of being an American.
I’ve always felt that the powers that be could have targeted a military base, instead of wasting innocent civilians.

My father was a POW at Fucukoa #14 Nagasaki when the bomb dropped a mile away. He never forgave the Japanese.

Civilians will always be the bigger victims of war. Collateral damage is what it is. Only solution is no war.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2023 at 08:46 PM

"Collateral damage" as a euphemism for killing innocent people is disgusting.
Paco Facullo
Super Nomad

Mood: Abiding ..........

[*] posted on 11-16-2023 at 02:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
"Collateral damage" as a euphemism for killing innocent people is disgusting.

Yep, there are lots of heartless egotistical psychopaths running around, and unfortunately, many of them are politicians …

Since I've given up all hope, I feel much better
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.