Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  19    21    23
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2024 at 11:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  
Quote: Originally posted by Ateo  
I got 2 $7500 credits!!!! Sorry US taxpayers!

GREAT, thank you for participating in reducing greenhouse gases!

Spend $10 Trillion dollars and reduce the gases by 1.7%

Great plan!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 12:52 AM

Californico did offer a $7,500 Rebate to full time Califonico citizens (must be able to prove it).

I think you mean a full time California resident, not citizen. There's no such thing as being a state citizen, nor any such thing as being a full time citizen. Citizenship is a federal status.

[Edited on 6-29-2024 by surabi]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 07:17 AM

We have now had early model mass production EV's on the market for 15 years now. It's about time those enterprising Baja mechanics get their hands into repairing and upgrading the earlier models they can now bring down very cheaply.
While the improvements over those 15 years have been mind blowing, the future looks even more promising as R & D accelerates and the basic battery storage has already increased in range by at least a factor of 4 (the first Leaf had a meager 75 mile EPA range when it was first produced) and at the same time drastically boosted the longevity. I expect to see a whole new underground industry slowly develop around repair, upgrade and maintenance of EVs in Baja. Multiple sights are already available on youtube on how to track down faulty cells and replace them at very low cost, bringing those batteries back to 70-80% of initial storage. They seem to be lagging at present.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 08:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by surabi  

Californico did offer a $7,500 Rebate to full time Califonico citizens (must be able to prove it).

I think you mean a full time California resident, not citizen. There's no such thing as being a state citizen, nor any such thing as being a full time citizen. Citizenship is a federal status.

It all depends on your personal perspective and semantics, If you are talking about holding a passport to a specific dis-United State, you are correct. However, there is such a thing as a State citizen by definition in its most simple form "A legal status and relation between an individual and a state that entails specific legal rights and duties." I am a legal citizen of the State of California because I now maintain my permanent residence there, I pay State taxes there, I am registered to vote there, I have a California driver's license, I can legally have an abortion there (the State is not specific about gender) and many other "legal rights and duties." Therefore, I consider myself a citizen (small letter "c") of the State of California.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 08:17 AM

It all depends on your personal perspective and semantics, If you are talking about holding a passport to a specific dis-United State, you are correct. However, there is such a thing as a State citizen by definition in its most simple form "A legal status and relation between an individual and a state that entails specific legal rights and duties." I am a legal citizen of the State of California because I now maintain my permanent residence there, I pay State taxes there, I am registered to vote there, I have a California driver's license, I can legally have an abortion there (the State is not specific about gender) and many other "legal rights and duties." Therefore, I consider myself a citizen (small letter "c") of the State of California.

California, greatest state in the union! :thumbup:

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Some have argued that it is the greatest state in the world! especially when you factor in annual average climate, cultural diversity, recreational opportunities, progressive agenda, etc. We may not be the greatest state in the world but we, as a state, are certainly the leader into the future. Californico is a happenen' place.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Baja California and B.C. Sur asked to be annexed by California Alta? No, that will never happen officially, but it is beginning to happen practically, just look at BajaNomad. Los Cabos is now being referred to as "Baja Beverly Hills", I will be eating some of those Driscoll Strawberries grown in San Vicente, today, Some of the fish sold in local grocery stores were swimming in Baja waters a couple of days ago, etc.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 09:20 AM

Some have argued that it is the greatest state in the world! especially when you factor in annual average climate, cultural diversity, recreational opportunities, progressive agenda, etc. We may not be the greatest state in the world but we, as a state, are certainly the leader into the future. Californico is a happenen' place.

Wouldn't it be interesting if Baja California and B.C. Sur asked to be annexed by California Alta? No, that will never happen officially, but it is beginning to happen practically, just look at BajaNomad. Los Cabos is now being referred to as "Baja Beverly Hills", I will be eating some of those Driscoll Strawberries grown in San Vicente, today, Some of the fish sold in local grocery stores were swimming in Baja waters a couple of days ago, etc.

The progressive agenda is what is killing the state.

Your conceited view of California is telling. Not a good look for you. And as for a certain leading presidential candidate being dumb- I think you have some self reflection to be done.

As for electric vehicles- how about we eliminate the subsidies and let the market drive what works? Oh yeah, we already know how that would go. Same route of the solar companies. (Think Titan Solar)

Great to be alive in this time of those wanting to pay for their wish list with other peoples money. Ultimate grifters.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 10:26 AM

For those who are interested in getting the highest EV range out of a slightly used EV, here is a real world comparison of the actual mixed but mostly hiway driving ranges in the real world done 5 yrs ago until they died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH7V2tU3iFc

Mercedes : 194 miles = 312km
Audi : 206 miles = 331km
Nissan : 208 miles = 334km
Jaguar : 223 miles = 358km
Kia : 255 miles = 410km
Tesla : 270 miles = 434km

I find the tested Kia the biggest surprise, as it was apparently the cheapest of the group new, is optimized for city rather than highway driving and got 94% of the range of the long range Tesla model 3 in this test. Whats more, the Kia looks to have the best minimum ground clearance for Baja driving at 5.9 inches (same as the Leaf), but of course was the least luxurious.

[Edited on 6-29-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 10:34 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

The progressive agenda is what is killing the state.

Your conceited view of California is telling.

Where do you live? Arizona? Lo siento!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 11:05 AM

Goat, the connection is the name 'California', and we three states of California, represent differences as much as equal-ness.
Two states are in the United Mexican States and one is part of the United States of America.
No need to unify different regions... as independence and uniqueness should be free right of the people who were born to live there or joined with those born there to enjoy that places uniqueness.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 12:09 PM

As for electric vehicles- how about we eliminate the subsidies and let the market drive what works?

How about we eliminate the subsidies to the oil and gas industry and let the market drive what works?

"First, let’s consider just the direct subsidies for fossil fuel production—money that flows directly from the government to fossil fuel companies to support activities like exploration, extraction, and development. A conservative estimate from Oil Change International puts the U.S. total at around $20.5 billion annually, including $14.7 billion in federal subsidies and $5.8 billion in state-level incentives. A whopping 80 percent of this goes to oil and gas (with the rest supporting coal), and most of the subsidies are in the form of tax deductions and exemptions and other “obscure tax loopholes and accounting tricks” that result in massive avoided costs for fossil fuel producers."
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 02:53 PM

As for electric vehicles- how about we eliminate the subsidies and let the market drive what works?

How about we eliminate the subsidies to the oil and gas industry and let the market drive what works?

"First, let’s consider just the direct subsidies for fossil fuel production—money that flows directly from the government to fossil fuel companies to support activities like exploration, extraction, and development. A conservative estimate from Oil Change International puts the U.S. total at around $20.5 billion annually, including $14.7 billion in federal subsidies and $5.8 billion in state-level incentives. A whopping 80 percent of this goes to oil and gas (with the rest supporting coal), and most of the subsidies are in the form of tax deductions and exemptions and other “obscure tax loopholes and accounting tricks” that result in massive avoided costs for fossil fuel producers."

Good and accurate response @Surabi And TioTaco may respond about "the cost of tea in China." He/She is always caught with making stuff up and never responds to a direct question. He/she always deflects because he/she is unable to provide an answer.

oxxo- you may need to go back to the convenience store you are named after.

I will answer this directly. I am against subsidies for oil as well. But you are not honest enough to admit that the oil industry would thrive regardless of our corrupt politicians giving them sweet deals for kickbacks. We need oill and gas because.... IT WORKS!

Electric cars are a gimmick by the progressive leaders to get more $$$ in their pockets by convincing rubes like you that they are saving the planet.

Funny how you have the same attitude as the other left wing extremists that have been brainwashed to believe they are on some moral high ground when all of us can see how hypocritical you really are.

Enjoy your electric car. I dont care if you buy 10 of them. But I know they aren't even close to ever being capable of doing what the ICE vehicles already do. Now go brag to your friiends at the local Sprouts market about how great your electric golfcart did getting you thru that pot-holed California road without hitting a homeless person.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 02:54 PM

Anytime a company (like Rivian) has more in debt than assets, they are a prime candidate for bankruptcy relief at their debtor's expense.

I think you missed or misunderstood this part:

Rivian has 9 billion left in cash, 2/3 that amount in total debt. I didn't bother including their assets, as I thought that would be sufficient to show how far away from bankruptcy they are. At end of Mar this year, PB ratio was 1.35. That indicates it's total assets minus liabilities are very positive and high and is without including VW input . For comparison, Teslas PB ratio sits at 9.69'which by most measures is high. The automotive manufacturing sector's average is 7.9

[Edited on 6-29-2024 by JDCanuck]

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Goat, the connection is the name 'California', and we three states of California, represent differences as much as equal-ness.
Two states are in the United Mexican States and one is part of the United States of America.
No need to unify different regions... as independence and uniqueness should be free right of the people who were born to live there or joined with those born there to enjoy that places uniqueness.

In general David, I agree with you, but things are definitely changing in Baja in the 20 years I have been totally immersed in Baja. Perhaps not so much in the isolated places where you tend to hang out, but definitely in the urban areas from small pueblos to urban centers.

Alta California is as much a two State region as is Baja. Alta California is split between Western (coastal) California and Eastern (agriculture and Sierras) California. The Coast Ranges are kind of the dividing line. There is even a petition for the Eastern half of California to form a new State, called Jefferson. Every time it comes up for a vote it gets around 20% yes votes, far from a mandate! :no: The same can be said of Baja California. I can say definitely that the Mexicans who live in Baja are completely different than those who live on the mainland, having interacted with both on their "home turf" on many occasions. I have had some talks with my Baja Mexican friends, many of them minimum wage people who I prefer, they feel safe being honest with me, and they think most (but not all) of the gringos coming from the US and Canada, both tourists and residents, are perfectly fine and are welcomed here, they don't bring an attitude with them in general. However, they save their worst criticism for the Chilangos and Tapatios from the mainland who are now invading their homeland, they say, "como cucarachas". Even some of the Baja children tell me they prefer to speak and practice in English so they can get the best jobs in Baja. I understand that you won't see this in the isolated areas you prefer, at least for the foreseeable future.

So, in the future, I believe Baja and California will remain in their separate countries. But in the future, Baja and California will continue to become closer and closer in culture, economy, interdependence, aspirations, goals and objectives, and even language. We gringos have more in common with them than their compatriots on the mainland. And I believe this will be good for both we and them to determine our individual destinies.

For Bonus Points, what is the most common last name in California right now (HINT - the answer depends on what qualifications are considered)?

[Edited on 6-29-2024 by oxxo]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 03:56 PM

:rolleyes:

And right on cue, personal attacks and conclusions based on opinion with no supporting evidence.

You have not answered my question. Where did you get these figures: "Spend $10 Trillion dollars and reduce the gases by 1.7%" Either answer the question or it is obvious you just made it up.

Where is the personal attack?

Obviously $10,000,000,000,000 was sarcastic to show how absurd the spending is.

No American dollar amount will be enough to offset the rest of the world when it comes to gross polluters. But you keep telling yourself the mines in Indonesia and Africa and elsewhere are carbon neutral so you "feel" good with your justification for toy cars that dont work for building America and Mexico.

Again, electric cars have a place. Just like a Honda Civic fills a need. But the ICE is what makes the world go round and that isnt going to change any time soon.

If it makes you feel any better, I will try to remember to let the waiter/waitress know tonight that I prefer to not have a straw with my drink. I am doing my part to save the planet.

Cheers, love
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 03:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

In general David, I agree with you, but things are definitely changing in Baja in the 20 years I have been totally immersed in Baja. Perhaps not so much in the isolated places where you tend to hang out, but definitely in the urban areas from small pueblos to urban centers.

Alta California is as much a two State region as is Baja. Alta California is split between Western (coastal) California and Eastern (agriculture and Sierras) California. The Coast Ranges are kind of the dividing line. There is even a petition for the Eastern half of California to form a new State, called Jefferson. Every time it comes up for a vote it gets around 20% yes votes, far from a mandate! :no: The same can be said of Baja California. I can say definitely that the Mexicans who live in Baja are completely different than those who live on the mainland, having interacted with both on their "home turf" on many occasions. I have had some talks with my Baja Mexican friends, many of them minimum wage people who I prefer, they feel safe being honest with me, and they think most (but not all) of the gringos coming from the US and Canada, both tourists and residents, are perfectly fine and are welcomed here, they don't bring an attitude with them in general. However, they save their worst criticism for the Chilangos and Tapatios from the mainland who are now invading their homeland, they say, "como cucarachas". Even some of the Baja children tell me they prefer to speak and practice in English so they can get the best jobs in Baja. I understand that you won't see this in the isolated areas you prefer, at least for the foreseeable future.

So, in the future, I believe Baja and California will remain in their separate countries. But in the future, Baja and California will continue to become closer and closer in culture, economy, interdependence, aspirations, goals and objectives, and even language. We gringos have more in common with them than their compatriots on the mainland. And I believe this will be good for both

For Bonus Points, what is the most common last name in California right now (HINT - the answer depends on what qualifications are considered)?

[Edited on 6-29-2024 by oxxo]

For the Bonus Point..... SANCHEZ?
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 04:37 PM

We gringos have more in common with them than their compatriots on the mainland.

Say what? You seem to think their "compatriots on the mainland" consist of Tapatios and Chilangos.

Those may be the majority of mainland Mexicans who can afford to travel and vacation in Baja, but those big city Mexicans are not anywhere near the majority of the population of Mexico.

Mainland Mexico has a population of approx. 123 million people. Of those, Mexico City has a population of 22.5 million and Guadalajara has 5.5 million.

That leaves 94 million people who live in mainland Mexico who are not Tapatios or Chilangos.

To say that Baja Mexicans have more in common with gringos than with mainland Mexicans is ridiculous.

BTW, the Mexicans in my area of the mainland don't like Tapatios either. :-) It isn't a Baja thing. It's a "They think they're hot chit" thing. A Mexican friend of mine who grew up in Guadalajara said she moved from there because "they're a bunch of brats". (Although of course you can't paint an entire population with the same brush- I've known lots of Tapatios who are perfectly nice people.)

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 05:23 PM

For the Bonus Point..... SANCHEZ?

Very close but no cigar! I do refer to ALL of us who live in California as Californicans!
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 05:44 PM

Over complexity is driving the medium to major problems on EV's causing returns to dealers for repair work. But some EV's still have fewer problems than the average IC vehicle, notably Kia

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 05:45 PM

Say what? You seem to think their "compatriots on the mainland" consist of Tapatios and Chilangos.

Those may be the majority of mainland Mexicans who can afford to travel and vacation in Baja, but those big city Mexicans are not anywhere near the majority of the population of Mexico.

Of course you are right @Surabi but the point I was making is that, for the most part, Mexicans come into more contact with Gringos than they do with Mexicans from the mainland other than Tapatios and Chilangos, ON A DAILY BASIS. Consequently, they have more in common with those Gringos just in terms of familiarity. I have found a surprising number of Baja Mexicans who have never been to the mainland. They have come from a long lineage of Baja natives, born and bred there. I do ask my local friends if they could go anywhere on the mainland or to anywhere in California, 9 out of 10 will pick California because many already have relatives in California and they don't know anyone on the mainland.

But yes, Mexico is a complex country with many diverse cultures, all of them interesting and valuable. Baja is probably the most isolated of these cultures because of ocean water, for better or worse. Consequently, in my opinion, they have a unique and different relationship with those living on the mainland and more "internalized" as a result of their geography.
 Pages:  1  ..  19    21    23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.