BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  19    21    23  ..  60
Author: Subject: Arizonas new Imigration Bill(This has turned into a Rat Hole)
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
A Guest-Worker program has ALWAYS been the proper way to deal with the "supposed" need for immigrant labor.

The Liberals, bowing to their Union constituency, have always been the opposition.

That certainly would be the case. They could possibly change their tune if the program could assure that guest workers would be working only in determined capacities such as agriculture harvesting and other seasonal jobs. The problem (not a problem for employers) comes when immigrants come in and take over job sites and entire vocations. We don't need guest workers working in fast food. The fast food industry can pay market wages just like In & Out Burgers does.

Hey Packo, can you make it to join us at Mision Santa Maria? We haven't seen you since Camp Gecko New Years 2005! (That was Baja Angel's first trip with me to Baja)...

(Hope it is okay to hijack this thread and talk about a Baja trip! LOL)

That's a nice gesture, David!:yes:

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 02:12 PM

"Well, as you know, Arizona has passed the strictest immigration law in the country, and in response, the mayor of San Francisco is pushing for a boycott of the state of Arizona. This could be devastating to gay rodeos." –Jay Leno

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
"Well, as you know, Arizona has passed the strictest immigration law in the country, and in response, the mayor of San Francisco is pushing for a boycott of the state of Arizona. This could be devastating to gay rodeos." –Jay Leno

Oh no. Gov Brewer signed major rollbacks in the law provisions... does that mean.......
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
Quote:
Originally posted by Oso

Oh no. Gov Brewer signed major rollbacks in the law provisions... does that mean.......

Oh yes it does.

I have no problems with the law with these new changes, but it was good to know where people really stand.

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 05:29 PM

I still hear the echos of DavidK and Billm "drill baby Drill" I am sure when its over I will hear the same echos of "keep the Mexican's out"
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 05:38 PM

rts551, What you hear are reruns of Democrat talking points.:lol:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 05:43 PM
This law says show us your papers. In response, we’ll show the State of Arizona the Constitution

a couple letters from the NYT sums up the issue, and why cosmetic changes to law have not fixed a bad law....

Quote:

To the Editor:

While it is true that federal law requires noncitizens to carry immigration documents, this is almost never enforced or prosecuted. What’s more, it’s a far different story to permit federal officials to punish a noncitizen for failure to carry immigration documents and for state and local officials to do the same. Immigration regulation is a federal function.

I find it disingenuous to cite a hypothetical of 12 nervous, shifty-eyed passengers crammed into a minivan being stopped by the police for speeding as being the typical case in which the Arizona police will inquire into a person’s immigration status.

What about the case of two young males wearing sombreros speaking in Spanish in front of a convenience store, or three poorly dressed Spanish-speaking women sitting together at a cafe? Are we really to believe that Arizona’s police officers are not going to make inquiries in those situations?

This law isn’t good immigration enforcement; it’s an invitation to flagrant abuse of the civil rights of anyone caught in its web, including American citizens, permanent residents and applicants for asylum or another lawful status.

Theodore Ruthizer
New York, April 29, 2010

The writer, a lawyer who works on business immigration matters and a lecturer at Columbia Law School, is a former president of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

--------------------------------•

To the Editor:

The reason the American Civil Liberties Union is calling the Arizona law unconstitutional is that it’s true. It’s also discriminatory, unfair and un-American.

It is hard to imagine how this law can be enforced without racial profiling, and claims to the contrary are disingenuous. On what other basis would a police officer suspect that someone is not lawfully present in the United States?

Hollow language inserted in the bill supposedly to prevent such profiling is cosmetic. It won’t prevent the police from asking people for their papers based on race and the way they look.

Racial profiling is already rampant in Arizona, and this law will make it worse. We have seen the effects of the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office’s targeting of Latinos, including American citizens and lawful permanent residents, in its mass sweeps and enforcement operations. The A.C.L.U. has sued that office, and the United States Justice Department has started a civil rights investigation into its practices.

This extreme law puts Arizona completely out of step with American values of fairness and equality. The A.C.L.U. will vigorously challenge this law in the courtroom and elsewhere to make sure that it doesn’t take effect.

This law says show us your papers. In response, we’ll show the State of Arizona the Constitution.

Anthony D. Romero
Executive Director, A.C.L.U.
New York, April 29, 2010

[Edited on 5-2-2010 by mtgoat666]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 06:09 PM

Oh yes I forgot Cypress.... going to Lousiana soon are ou

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
rts551, What you hear are reruns of Democrat talking points.:lol:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 06:35 PM
Adding to the Mix

Today, a Mexican friend told me that his brother is a wealthy Mexican American living in Arizona and, "He can't wait to get stopped because he is going to sue, sue, sue."

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 06:43 PM

Well you know he has the American Spirit. Sue sue. that is why we are like we are.

Good he has money to spend. that helps the economy.

I gald my kids are American Mexican

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Today, a Mexican friend told me that his brother is a wealthy Mexican American living in Arizona and, "He can't wait to get stopped because he is going to sue, sue, sue."

I really don't think they'll be stopping any wealthy people. I'd look for day workers in front of Home Depot. Vocation profiling is different from racial profiling. If official data states that landscape company employees are more likely to be illegal immigrants than accountants, then it makes sense to check more landscapers than accountants. But the revised law doesn't even allow that. Those against the new AZ law will insist that it will need to be as toothless as federal enforcement has been. They want limitless immigration. That's fine. They can propose and get a law passed that allows limitless immigration. If any Mexican nationals are here legally, they can join in the political action because foreigners are not barred from doing that in this country. They might have a tougher time bringing in politically active Guatemalans though because the Mexican Govt. is pretty harsh on those who cross their southern border en route to the U.S. or to Mexico looking for jobs.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 07:33 PM

rts551, No, and I'm sure that there are millions of people along the gulf coast from Texas to Florida that appreciate your thoughts. Oh yes, and I won't forget.:fire:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 08:12 PM

Not to scared of your internet threat, Cypress/ And Yes I'll bet those millions wish you had not been yellin for the drillin

I sympathize with them. and you what do you do

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
rts551, No, and I'm sure that there are millions of people along the gulf coast from Texas to Florida that appreciate your thoughts. Oh yes, and I won't forget.:fire:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 08:27 PM

rts551, Cypress:

y'all need to smoke some dope and mellow out. your schoolyard bragadacio is unbecoming of an arizona redneck and a north idaho cracker.

feel the love!

yes we can!

hope!

pax!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
I still hear the echos of DavidK and Billm "drill baby Drill" I am sure when its over I will hear the same echos of "keep the Mexican's out"

Sorry, wrong again... at least for your blanket inclusion of me... This law has NOTHING to do with "Mexicans", the law applies to Canadians and Albanians as well. Illegally in the country is what it is about, so plain and simple. I love Mexican people, but I have no time for those who cannot respect our borders.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
This law has NOTHING to do with "Mexicans", the law applies to Canadians and Albanians as well. Illegally in the country is what it is about, so plain and simple. I love Mexican people, but I have no time for those who cannot respect our borders.

DK:
No one believes you when you say the law does not have roots in bigotry. The fact is that most minorities believe that the Arizona law and similar laws are rooted in bigotry, and it is obvious in Arizona that the most vocal proponents of the law (esp. the laws author) are bigots. The same thing goes for "birthers." The GOP and the Tea Partiers are committing political suicide. Latino-bashing will be political suicide in a century when Hispanic Americans are well on their way to becoming the largest minority in the country and are already the swing voters in many states.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 07:59 AM

Again, you miss the facts because you are blinded by the lies... Laws are on paper and are the rules of the land.

The law says NOTHING about "Mexicans" or targeting anybody for that matter. It is about carrying out the law to those who broke it.

Why is this beyond your ability to understand? Why do you want law breakers to walk freely or worse, why do you want to reward those who break the law with benefits that even citizens don't get? Arizona has had enough, and they are doing what the federal government has failed to do... Soon other states will also follow Arizona's move. They may word the bill in 3rd grade terminology so you on the left might understand it, however! :rolleyes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 08:05 AM
When did profiling become an evil word?

Racial profiling is alive and well at US airports and those flying out of the airports are happy for it. If a person (profiled as male, Middle Eastern in appearance, etc.) fits the criteria of ''suspect,'' they will be questioned, asked for ID, and generally scrutinized. If I were flying out of airports where this were taking place, I'd be happy.

I'm reading a lot of comments about how unfair profiling is but I don't read any comments about how the feds have failed to prevent undocumented people crossing US borders illegally. If the solution is somewhere in the middle, and many agree that racism is not a good thing, let's hear how to fix the problem.

Bad legislation doesn't work and will eventually go away. To do nothing, or worse, to continue with failed policies is equally bad.

Looks to me like Arizona wants to stop the problem of illegal immigration. Not everyone in that state is racist.

If those crossing into Arizona feel the heat, that's a good thing. WHen they start funneling into California because of it, California will need to address the problem. What's California doing?

Arnold was on a talk show recently saying California wasn't going to do what Arizona was doing -- but I didn't hear him talking about solutions.

Anyone have a better solution to airport security and fairness? Ignore those fitting the ''profile?'' I hope not.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Diana and the Goat (and others) are really going to love this one-----

------our Navy is plotting against us for sure, for sure!!! Spending money to "change" this building is insane IMO!!!!

http://www.10news.com/news/23284992/detail.html

If reshaped as a mirror image, like the Navaho tribal sybal, the Apaches would complain:lol::lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2010 at 08:14 AM

Those are good points, Lee. Makes me wonder....when the activists are done sniveling about profiling in Phoenix, will we have to hear their wailing about profiling at the border? They won't stop until everything is their way.
I am so sick and tired of listening to them and their self-rightous crap.
 Pages:  1  ..  19    21    23  ..  60

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.