BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  20    22  
Author: Subject: BEV's, Hybrids and/or Independent Solar in Baja
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 05:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JDCanuck  
Okay Garcia, I suspect the immigrants are outdoing the emigrants named Smith

Okay, you guys are dancing all around the right answer, but you are in the right ethnicity.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 05:58 PM

Over complexity is driving the medium to major problems on EV's causing returns to dealers for repair work. But some EV's still have fewer problems than the average IC vehicle, notably Kia

I just checked because I don't think "over complexity" is a problem with my BEV.

With Tesla, about 70% have either had no problems or minor cosmetic issues. Over complexity of the system, of any type - minor to major, accounted for about 6% of issues.
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 06:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by oxxo  
Over complexity is driving the medium to major problems on EV's causing returns to dealers for repair work. But some EV's still have fewer problems than the average IC vehicle, notably Kia

I just checked because I don't think "over complexity" is a problem with my BEV.

With Tesla, about 70% have either had no problems or minor cosmetic issues. Over complexity of the system, of any type - minor to major, accounted for about 6% of issues.

You might want to check the JD Power report just released, or one of the news articles summing it up. They are listed best or worst in their initial quality study. Hyundai and Kia are the cheapest ones that also have the best quality. Fortunately, all those initial problems should be covered by warranty by taking it back to the dealer. Once they are sorted, the overall maintenance should decline.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/evs-are-giving-new-owners-mor...

[Edited on 6-30-2024 by JDCanuck]

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2024 at 07:37 PM

Of course you are right @Surabi but the point I was making is that, for the most part, Mexicans come into more contact with Gringos than they do with Mexicans from the mainland other than Tapatios and Chilangos, ON A DAILY BASIS. Consequently, they have more in common with those Gringos just in terms of familiarity.

That I can understand, although I wouldn't necessarily consider it "more in common", but simply "more familiar with" or "more comfortable with".

There's so much that goes into feeling that one has a things in common with others, that has very little to do with nationality. Common interests, similar lifestyle, economic and education status, political persuation, etc.

I have a friend who is in her late 70's now and has lived in Canada for about 40 years, but is originally Czech. She said people have sometimes said to her, "Oh, I know this other Czech woman, I should introduce you."
My friend finds this really strange- like why would she want to meet someone she may have nothing in common with, and might not like at all, just because they're from the same country?

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 07:09 AM

A lease on a Hyundai IONIQ 5 is the least expensive car in the US right now!

https://electrek.co/2024/06/28/hyundai-ioniq-5-lease-price-b...
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 08:08 AM

Which makes pretty good sense if you are concerned about Battery improvements and not sure if you'll actually be a convert. Your commitment is for a limited period. Your net after fuel savings and maintenance costs through the warranty period would be close to zero and you at the end of the lease can either choose to buy at the residual value or let it go and look for a replacement.

We are considering leasing our next (much larger) Hybrid or EV for those reasons. The Kia EV9 has our attention right now.

A century later and it's still just as applicable: Desiderata: http://mwkworks.com/desiderata.html
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 09:06 AM

We are considering leasing our next (much larger) Hybrid or EV for those reasons. The Kia EV9 has our attention right now.

BE VERY CAREFUL WITH LEASING, IT IS VERY TRICKY! Leasing appears to be an "inexpensive" way to get into a new car, but often is not. There are several factors to consider:
1. Capitalized cost = cost of prepayment (incorrectly called "down payment") plus cost of monthly payments
2. Availability of any Govt. rebates or credits on a leased vehicle
3. Number of months on the lease as stated in contract
4. Number of annual miles allowed
5. Residual value at end of lease (IF purchase is even permitted)
6. Comparison to cost of financing to purchase outright minus any rebates and/or credits (with unlimited miles and you own the vehicle to dispose of as you wish and when)

Personally, I have never found that leasing made financial sense to me, but everyone is different and it might make sense to you, your situation, and your philosophy about vehicles. I am not going to acquire another BEV (purchase or lease) for another 53 years (that will make me 153 y.o.) because that's when flying cars are going to be coming out with lifetime batteries that do not degrade and I am waiting for the "latest and greatest" technology! ;)
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 09:45 AM

Same here...and it is a rats nest to read through all the requirements. We have never before leased and always bought for ten years or more of use when we bought new. The difference now is how rapidly the technology is changing. Even three to five years ahead, you may find yourself with obsolete tech, making the resale value continue to plummet like it has in the recent past. Better if the terms are right to let the manufacturer take the risk until technology changes stabilize a bit as they eventually did with IC vehicles.
And yes, EV powered multi-fan computer stabilized flying taxis are already being produced, no pilots license required and minimal operation training. Imagine what that technology might create within 10-15 years. You cold fly from La Paz to our home in under an hour and forget about the road conditions.

oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 11:50 AM

The difference now is how rapidly the technology is changing. Even three to five years ahead, you may find yourself with obsolete tech, making the resale value continue to plummet like it has in the recent past.

Hummmm......my Tesla is almost 6 years old AND as a result of no extra cost OTA updates every 1 to 3 times a month, my 6 y.o. car has all the electrical and software improvements of any new Tesla. Tesla is the only BEV mfg. that does this, at this time. No, I don't have the newest battery technology and I don't have 400 miles of range, but the technology and range I do have is MORE THAN ENOUGH to meet MY needs. Resale? I really don't care because this will probably be my last car, 'cause I doubt I'll live to be 153 y.o.

Quote:
Better if the terms are right to let the manufacturer take the risk until technology changes stabilize a bit as they eventually did with IC vehicles.

Yes, if that BEV manufacturer has planned "obsolescence" built into their marketing strategy to increase their bottom line. Tesla is currently the exception. Least expensive is not always the best OR least expensive.

ICE vehicles have been improving technology over the years. If you had the same philosophy back then as you do now, you would never had owned an ICE vehicle. For example, improvements in ICE gpm specifications were the result of Federal mandates. The ICE mfg's would have NEVER done this on their own because the Fossil Fuel Industry and the ICE mfg's have always been working hand-in-hand to scru the consumer. If the Fed's eliminated the current subsidies for fossil fuels, gasoline for ICE vehicles, would be 4 to 5 dollars higher, per gallon, than they are now! Compare that to BEV's where electricity from the sun is free (after amortizing the cost of infrastructure at your home with a break-even of about 3-4 years right now and decreasing. Better to wait 5 to 10 to install solar panels because cost is coming down. :rolleyes: :wow: :no: )
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 12:21 PM

The difference now is how rapidly the technology is changing. Even three to five years ahead, you may find yourself with obsolete tech, making the resale value continue to plummet like it has in the recent past.

Hummmm......my Tesla is almost 6 years old AND as a result of no extra cost OTA updates every 1 to 3 times a month, my 6 y.o. car has all the electrical and software improvements of any new Tesla. Tesla is the only BEV mfg. that does this, at this time. No, I don't have the newest battery technology and I don't have 400 miles of range, but the technology and range I do have is MORE THAN ENOUGH to meet MY needs. Resale? I really don't care because this will probably be my last car, 'cause I doubt I'll live to be 153 y.o.

Quote:
Better if the terms are right to let the manufacturer take the risk until technology changes stabilize a bit as they eventually did with IC vehicles.

Yes, if that BEV manufacturer has planned "obsolescence" built into their marketing strategy to increase their bottom line. Tesla is currently the exception. Least expensive is not always the best OR least expensive.

ICE vehicles have been improving technology over the years. If you had the same philosophy back then as you do now, you would never had owned an ICE vehicle. For example, improvements in ICE gpm specifications were the result of Federal mandates. The ICE mfg's would have NEVER done this on their own because the Fossil Fuel Industry and the ICE mfg's have always been working hand-in-hand to scru the consumer. If the Fed's eliminated the current subsidies for fossil fuels, gasoline for ICE vehicles, would be 4 to 5 dollars higher, per gallon, than they are now! Compare that to BEV's where electricity from the sun is free (after amortizing the cost of infrastructure at your home with a break-even of about 3-4 years right now and decreasing. Better to wait 5 to 10 to install solar panels because cost is coming down. :rolleyes: :wow: :no: )

Where do you come up with this stuff? $4-$5 dollars a gallom higher? lol
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 01:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Tioloco  

You have not answered my question. Where did you get these figures: "Spend $10 Trillion dollars and reduce the gases by 1.7%" Either answer the question or it is obvious you just made it up. I will answer your questions (because I do have answers) when you answer mine.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 01:26 PM

You have not answered my question. Where did you get these figures: "Spend $10 Trillion dollars and reduce the gases by 1.7%" Either answer the question or it is obvious you just made it up. I will answer your questions (because I do have answers) when you answer mine.

I answered that yesterday at 3:56PM

Now is your turn
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 01:40 PM

I answered that yesterday at 3:56PM
Now is your turn

Okay you just made that up and you are just being "sarcastic." TioTaco you have evidenced you are not a serious and sincere person. I tried to give you respect but you have refused to be respectful in return. I will not make room for those kind of people in my life.

:thumbdown: POOF you are gone!
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 02:25 PM

Poof, I reappeared and you still didnt answer my question... but I knew you couldn't back up your ridiculous statement about gas prices.

Its ok, I know electric cars do have a place in the world. They just aren't destined to eliminate the need for an ICE vehicle.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 06:27 PM

Let’s all sing a song together.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 07:50 PM

Bye, Oxxo! Sorry to see you get departed!

Woke!

“...ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.” “My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.”

Prefered gender pronoun: the royal we

RFClark
Super Nomad

Mood: Looking forward to 2024

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 09:44 PM

BC and BCS have more in common with the US. Even Mexican Law recognizes that fact. Baja receives both fuel and electricity from the US. BC was and still is tied into the US electrical grid. There is a current project to tie it (BC) into the mainland Mexican grid as well. The primary purpose is to sell more electricity to the US.

The Northern Border Minimum Wage (BC) is almost double the mainland minimum wage!

Car import policies are different and much more!
surabi
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2024 at 10:22 PM

FYI, the mainland minimum wage is 248.93 pesos/day, but that's more like what some tomato picker in some agricultural area or somewhere totally Mexican with no tourism might get paid. You can't get a cleaner or a gardener in my area for less than 100 pesos/hour, and some want more. And that's not the "gringo price"- that's the average wage for fairly unskilled labor. A plumber or an electrician or a painter charge at least twice that. (Not to say that a good cleaner or gardener doesn't have skills of their trade, just that they don't have education or a degree in anything, which would command a higher salary)

[Edited on 7-1-2024 by surabi]
JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2024 at 10:09 AM

Until conditions change, it appears the BYD Shark remains the most all-round usable electric vehicle here in BCS. Anything other than hybrids remain rare. Pricing may have to come down some before it gets broad acceptance. Overall BYD vehicle lineup is accessible here:
https://www.byd.com/mx/car/BYDSHARK

[Edited on 7-2-2024 by JDCanuck]

JDCanuck
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-18-2024 at 04:09 PM

Has anyone had any experience with Hybrid Hot Water Heaters or found a Mexico supplier for them? Like these Rheem Proterra units available in the US and Canada?

https://www.rheem.ca/products/residential/water-heating/hybr...

Pages:  1  ..  20    22  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.