Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23    25  ..  27
Author: Subject: Tropical Storm John
TechsMex

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 11:05 PM

Here's a report from CasaManzana on Posada Conception,

(Edit -he's got a another thread on Mulege going now as well, ..hope you don't mind me posting this, Jim ;D )

Big John is now still riding up the middle of the Baja peninsula and now some 50 miles north or Santa Rosalia. There are no patches of blue sky here by any means, but light is filtering in enough to get about 25% of our normal amp collection. The last two days gave us winds in the 70?s, so we were just below hurricane status. What made this one a little ugly was that is was so slow to move on. It sat on top of us doing it?s thing for a full seventeen hours. It gave us eleven inches of rain according to my rain gauge, and I didn't get the gauge out in time, so it could even be more like 12 or 13 inches. This is the third day there has been no cars or trucks on the road, so obviously there is a problem somewhere with flooding or bridges or something.
Here on the beach there were just three houses that showed very minor damage and one sailboat ended up on the beach.
I took a tour through the houses on the hill and everything looks fine up there, in case you know someone who might be interested to hear that.

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by TechsMex]

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by TechsMex]
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 12:46 AM

I can't sleep so I will post some more photos. This time excitement right in front of our house:

My front yard facing southeast @ 5:00 pm on saturday

My back yard facing northwest, pretty soggy out there @ 5:00pm

I guess the police overlooked evacuating this guy that holed up in the car @ 4:00 pm saturday

the family in this house was evacuated at about 5am. the guy that emerged from the car i the photo above was taken away by police after I took the picture. Makeshift house near flood is closeup of image above and typical of housing in colonia miramar, Loreto.

There was so much rain it was difficult to get photos without getting my camera wet.

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by flyfishinPam]

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 02:23 AM

Pam; Were the Police able to get all the People to High Ground?
My Prayers are with you All-!"Shades of Lisa 30 years ago."
Pam let me know when I may be able to get through. May be able to get a Load of clothes/or other supplies across the Ferry.
Let us know out here. Great Photos, Keep Safe
Here in the Texas Panhandle we are already getting the Rain fom the edge of the Storm.
Skeet
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 08:50 AM
It now appears

that San Felipe and the South Campos will be spared from the worst of John for which we are grateful. Our neighbors on both sides are at BSM due to extreme high tides later this week and the possibility of high winds from John. The National Hurricane Center has issued it's final advisory for this storm. We are very sorry for those who bore the brunt of the storm and wish them the best in their recovery.
roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:24 AM

Picked this up from Mulege on line

Posted September 04, 2006 07:49 AM
I received this last night, Sunday 9/3/06
Hurricane John came up the Baja Peninsula Saturday night to within 25
miles
west of the beaches and Mulege. By the time it arrived here the winds
were
only about 40 knots. However at the beach we had over 20 inches of
rain
overnight.

I have personally checked El Burro and Santispac and talked to people
at El
Coyote and Pt Arena. There is only minor damage to a few palapas and
boat
shades. Billy O had some damage to his boat shade. Mike Peterson had
some
rock damage to his fire pit and a local trimarine came shore at el
burro. To
the best of my knowledge at this time that was the extent of the
problems on
the beaches.

Mulege: MAJOR FLOOD DAMAGE. At 4am people in homes next to the river
only
had time to put on shoes. The water in the Mulege river rose very
quickly
and soon ENGULFED ALL THE TRAILER PARKS. The water was up to the top
of the
doors of the houses within a short period of time. To the best of my
knowledge there was no loss of life. When I went to town at 10am there
were
still rescue operations going on. Dustin and O.B. John seem to be
involved
in most of them.
I think it would be accurate to say that anyone who had property on or
near
the river has major damage. Looking out where Jorge's Trailer park
was, it
is hard to even find a landmark. The water is still high and flowing
fast.
The real damage will be evident when the water recedes. I talked with
Bart
(Jungle Jim's) and Lupi (my laundry lady) and they said the water in
their
house was up to the eves. Bart said he could not even see Jungle
Jim's. As
we talked I saw a camper floating down the river. Power will be out
for at
least a week. That means no gas, etc.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:34 AM

Is there a dam (natural or man made) that prevented the Mulege river water from getting to the sea and thus causing it to swell that much?

[Edited on 9-4-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

roundtuit
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wife's Job

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:43 AM

No dams . Straight shot through town to the sea. Widens out as it gets closer to ocean
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:48 AM

So, just the volume of water coming out of the mountains was far too great to stay contained withing the normal banks of the river before it reached the gulf?

Here is what's left of John... over by Kino Bay, Sonora...

Gonzaga & San Felipe, you're spared!

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t6/sloop-vis.html

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 09:50 AM

I finally got through to San Bruno and San Lucas Cove this morning on the phone and everyone reports unbelievable amounts of rain that lasted for a long time. The wind was lower in intensity than places south and while it did some damage, most of the problems amounted from the large amounts of rain. A resident of San Lucas reports that 22 of the electric poles are toppled between Santa Rosalia and San Bruno and they do not expect to have electricity restored for at least two weeks. The road is a mess both north and south since every dip became a roaring watercourse and there are lots of areas where the road is non-existant. Everyone is busy digging out and getting back to normal and I would imagine that the roads will be open as they canstart filling things in when the arroyos stop running.
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:06 AM

please send help, we have no power, water, food, clothes, or gas, this is very serious, everything is distroyed, people are homeless

Want what you have
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:11 AM

What can we do Marv? What would help you guys best? (Baja Angel also is here asking)

airmech
Nomad

Mood: Expeditionary

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:20 AM

I heard Hotel Serinadad didn't get hit too hard. How's the runway? How long before it's cleared? What are the politics involved with flying in supplies and/or reopening the airport to fly in supplies?
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:36 AM

we can maybe use the paved strip at San Bruno, pales verdes?

Don' s strip will be a mess day days until he can get a grader on it from past experiences:light:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:39 AM
Loreto was not too damaged

Here are a few more pictures:

The highway south of Loreto where the arroyo de zaragoza broke the pavement. Cars are traversing it now but its still too deep for me to feel safe.

This is the tractor trailer truck that got washed off the highway where arroyo zaragoza crosses

The malecon looks like this, no structural damage but lots of debris to clean up

other than that there's a car washed off the road at the arroyo at Miramar. colonia miramar is a mess and I will walk it to take photos even with 4wd it still looks like I'll get stuck so don't want to chance it.

schools canceled throughout BCS. still no phones or internet in Loreto. They say the water will be shut off for at least a week. The airport is open and the smaller planes are flying in and out I don't know about the jets yet but Alaska flies on tuesdays, we;ll see. Other than that, we're drying out down here now.:yes:

DaGreen
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:40 AM

La Ventana El Sargento Update

Thought I would pass this along. I received this from friends in La Ventana/El Sargento area. Our friends are Joe and Angie Cheek of Baja Joe's Baja Joe's

Angie and I took a long quad runner ride yesterday. We tried to check on as many homes as possible. Unfortunately, between the impassable roads, and the locked gates, we couldn?t get to many. We have posted additional photos at Click for Hurricane John Photos . Please pass this on to others in our community.

The hurricane reached Category 4 winds of 115 knots at its peak, but had subsided to around a Category 3 of +/-100 knots by the time it landed here. Supposedly, it tracked right between the island and here. The homes and property all seemed to hold up well. Most all structures appear intact
The properties on the east side of the highway took it the hardest. The plants and trees on the beach side homes got decimated. If your home is on the east side of the highway and lacks window protection, then there is a good chance that you have some broken windows.

Palapa roofs usually have a little damage, tile roofs as well. Tin roofs often failed. Water and sand made it into almost every home. Sand got forced through the smallest cracks and around the window frames. If you know someone who can air out your home, it would be a good thing.

Unfortunately, Angie and Joe are not available to assist with repairs, as they have extensive damage and cleanup to get their hotel back together.

The real problems are with the infrastructure. All the restaurants seemed to have been hit really hard. The roads have washed out along with tons of soil that they once sat on.

More power and phone lines are down than are up.
The water pipes are exposed, broken and completely washed away in sections. Most of the road past El Sargento is passable only with a 4x4 as the arroyos washed through the road and left soft sand. The Hot Springs road is completely gone. I could not even navigate it on the quad.

As we drove through the street on the quads Sunday, all the people were already busy with the cleanup. People were helping each other, and most are smiling ? even the ones
with extensive damage. The people of La Ventana and El Sargento are wonderful. The communities are supportive and resilient. But you know that, that is why we all live here?

Hasta Luego
Brian

La Ventana El Sargento Hurricane John Pics
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 10:56 AM

Later this afternoon I'll cross to the south side of the highway where the zaragoza river is flowing. I hear that a landslide north of mirador frida is blocking the road there. I may go that far. workers at Loreto Bay are doing construction and I'd imagine some clean up. I haven't heard from the hotel guests lately but if Alaska flies in tomorrow they should be able to cross and get to the airport just fine.

ferrelli

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 11:01 AM
News on Tom and Patti Higginbotham

Hi Everyone,
This is Tom and Patti's daughter Sharon. I am desperate for news about them. If anyone knows anything, please let me know.
airmech
Nomad

Mood: Expeditionary

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 11:16 AM

San Felipe, Ensenada and Guaymas airports are all open and have fuel. I can't get any info on La Paz, Loreto or San Jose Del Cabo.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 11:17 AM
Where do these folks live?

Quote:
Originally posted by ferrelli
Hi Everyone,
This is Tom and Patti's daughter Sharon. I am desperate for news about them. If anyone knows anything, please let me know.

ferrelli

[*] posted on 9-4-2006 at 11:30 AM
Tom and Patti Higginbotham

They live next door to the Jungle. Just finished a brand new house
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23    25  ..  27

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.