Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23    25  ..  42
Author: Subject: What Is West Baja walk
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 04:41 PM

Too bad the second photo in that NatGeo link is a town trash dump, somewhere... but I guess that is Baja, too!??? Thanks Dra. for the post!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Too bad the second photo in that NatGeo link is a town trash dump, somewhere

Yeah....what's up with that? What are they trying to say? It's not like all communities down here have a fat tax base to deal with everything.
I know the "Green" ideal is somewhat new here, but initiatives take money and reeducation as well as time.
It ain't Orange County.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 05:12 PM

I myself would trying to say that the Mexican government should be using the milliones of pesos fixing the trash problem instead of repaving the Carretera between Tijuana and Ensenada every three months. They could put sewage and proper waste disposal facilities into action along the roads. I have been wondering why the same stretch of highway gets the bulk of the toll dollars (and they ain't cheap either!!) every few months for the past 10 years.

[Edited on 3-18-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I myself would trying to say that the Mexican government should be using the milliones of pesos fixing the trash problem instead of repaving the Carretera between Tijuana and Ensenada every three months. They could put sewage and proper waste disposal facilities into action along the roads. I have been wondering why the same stretch of highway gets the bulk of the toll dollars (and they ain't cheap either!!) every few months for the past 10 years.

The area of most concern, just north of the Ensenada Toll Plaza, is a geoligic falt zone and continues to want to slide toward the water, so they have to keep at it or lose it.

They shouldn't even consider using toll revenue for various needs. When they start doing that, the road condition will be secondary.....at best.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 05:27 PM

I'm not talking just about that part of the road, Dennis, I am talking about all the reconstruction in other parts of the road, such as near Calafia that has been redone over the years, over and over and over. And you want more tourism dollars? I think the boys' are sending out a great message. Clean this crap up or no one will want to visit. It will bring a lot of needed attention to Baja. Again, their message isn't totally negative. They have some beautiful pictures in their Facebook collection. But it's time Mexico steps up to the plate and starts putting in sewage in areas and sanitation in areas such as Zorillo. I remember the water ponds I had to drive to work in every day, due to septics overflowing on the hills from the houses, down to the ravines and into the streets. Kids walking through these sewage lakes..and getting their shoes soaking wet. I called the Secretaria de Salud a few times, but, it's just "the way it is", they told me.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 05:45 PM

Quote:

Clean this crap up or no one will want to visit.

Yeah....that's it. Wouldn't want to upset all those tourists on the big Baja town dump tour.

Quote:

But it's time Mexico steps up to the plate and starts putting in sewage in areas and sanitation in areas such as Zorillo. I remember the water ponds I had to drive to work in every day, due to septics overflowing on the hills from the houses, down to the ravines and into the streets. Kids walking through these sewage lakes..and getting their shoes soaking wet. I called the Secretaria de Salud a few times, but, it's just "the way it is", they told me.

Zorillo is a squatters colony. Where is the money supposed to come from for all the upgrades? Would it be fair to take tax Pesos from Maneadero to fix the place? I doubt it. They still have too many dirt roads right in Centro.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 06:50 PM

You forget how many people Dennis want to drive from TJ to Cabo or even to Bahia de Los Angeles....it certainly isn't appetizing to see all the trash from the sides of the road. I saw the same thing about 7 years ago. I was on a cruise ship from San Diego to Acapulco. I got it into my head to drive (about 5 hours) to the silver town of Taxco. I had this "romantic" dream about the beautiful scenery, and there was plastic and toilet paper littered all along the route. To attract more tourists, people need to at least start putting trash in receptacles, so are you saying that the road tolls couldn't be used for trash receptacles every few kilometers?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
so are you saying that the road tolls couldn't be used for trash receptacles every few kilometers?

I think trash cans at the Toll Plazas is sufficient. People who use such things probably won't litter and those who do litter won't stop to use a can. Look what happens on the beaches. Trash everywhere and empty trash cans.

You can't litter aluminum. :lol:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 08:12 PM

I don't think there are any toll booths south of Ensenada...you mean no more garbage containers all the way to Cabo???:wow:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 08:01 AM

Who's going to empty the trash cans? Every one of them would be the beginning of the scenario in the foto that started this discussion.
OK....back to our original programming.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 08:08 AM

Looks like any dump.

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 08:35 AM

Trash cans by themselves don't help the litter problem. In BCS most roadside cans are overflowing without any sign of ever getting emptied. And all the overflow blows down the highway/desert.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 10:38 AM
"five areas of interest?"

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Yeah....what's up with that? What are they trying to say? It's not like all communities down here have a fat tax base to deal with everything.
I know the "Green" ideal is somewhat new here, but initiatives take money and reeducation as well as time.
It ain't Orange County.

the landfill photo is one reality, seems to fit w/in their mission statement.

according to the natgeo web mention, the walkers stated: "we are on a mission to explore and document Mexico’s Baja peninsula in the name of conservation... we have targeted five areas of interest and will address overarching ecological issues relevant to the region. Over the course of our 1000+ mile journey we will reveal through our lens why Baja has been deemed important to conserve and if there’s anything further to be done."

always nice to have a new photo record of natural places pristine, threatened, and already damaged. but comprehensive presentation to "address overarching ecological issues relevant to the region" may take a lot of research separate from walking and photographing,...

i am wondering what are the specific "five areas of interest" mentioned in the mission statement?
anybody know?

[Edited on 3-18-2013 by mtgoat666]
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 12:02 PM

I don't know the specific five areas mtgoat....I am sure they will chime in once they get to Guerrero Negro. They were on the move again yesterday.....and now a few miles south of Miller's Landing:

[Edited on 3-18-2013 by BajaGeoff]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 12:05 PM

Thank you Geoff!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-19-2013 at 01:05 AM

I'm sure that finding new sources of water would be on the list, and a Professor of Hydrology might be of assistance at this time, Goat!
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

It ain't Orange County.

the landfill photo is one reality, seems to fit w/in their mission statement.

according to the natgeo web mention, the walkers stated: "we are on a mission to explore and document Mexico’s Baja peninsula in the name of conservation... we have targeted five areas of interest and will address overarching ecological issues relevant to the region. Over the course of our 1000+ mile journey we will reveal through our lens why Baja has been deemed important to conserve and if there’s anything further to be done."

always nice to have a new photo record of natural places pristine, threatened, and already damaged. but comprehensive presentation to "address overarching ecological issues relevant to the region" may take a lot of research separate from walking and photographing,...

i am wondering what are the specific "five areas of interest" mentioned in the mission statement?
anybody know?

[Edited on 3-18-2013 by mtgoat666]
:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:
whatiswest

[*] posted on 3-19-2013 at 10:17 PM

We gave natgeo a batch of photos and those are the ones they chose. Sadly, we've seen a lot of trash on our trip. there just simply doesnt exist the same cultural value of tidyness. We try to minimize our impact by burning or packing out trash. But bringing your trash to a can in el Rosario doesn't mean it'll be dealt with the American way- outta sight outta mind, new housing community built on top.

Also, sorry to report we haven't caught a single fish, though I only tried once. We ate the bait instead;)

We're about to begin a major chapter of the trip: la peninsula vizcaino. Cave art and whales, salt flats and ranches.
Thank you David k for posting our progress!

Micah- what exactly is your connection to Baja? Now that we're "bonafied", we perhaps deserve some explanation or apology for your crudeness.

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2013 at 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest

Micah- what exactly is your connection to Baja? Now that we're "bonafied", we perhaps deserve some explanation or apology for your crudeness.

......... good to see you've made it through that rougher section,,REALLY!!......it'd be good to get some more details such as wether you got some good surfing?....how it was for you in the more isolated area,,,REALLY!!!

......you must realize that when you fundraise you become something of a public entity,,,,and set yourself up for some criticism or even ridicule,,,,,, so rather than apologise,I say -you're welcome-for helping keep things real!
......you said you were going to refrain from vehicular transit,,,and the first miles of your adventure were in a car,,,while your blog said otherwise--it was good to see you corrected that on your blog when I pointed out the contradiction!,,,good to keep it real.
........the whole speel for the trek seemed to highlight the remote adventure aspects of the trip,,,and surely that's what you were expecting judging by the survival gear you've been carrying,,,,,but this was contrasted with the first section being down the highway,,casita to casita....
.....methinks it's unfortunate that communications have been the way they have been,,,where of course we get much more details of the populated stretch than the MUCH more interesting remote section.....it'd be great to hear more details of that isolated stretch,,somewhere I KNOW at my age I'll not get there!.....I'm sure there was adventure and adversity,,,you had to make it through some harder times on your own cajones(??),,,,make some water(??),,,or not.
.........I REALLY appreciate it when you acknowledge the differences between your expectations and the realities of the trip,,and fully acknowledge those that help,,and how much you rely on them at times

......you said it yourself in a video,,the criticism makes you more determined!!! !

[Edited on 3-20-2013 by micah202]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 04:42 AM
Phony...let's call a spade a spade

The rudeness comes from a guy who ONLY appears to travel the Baja in comfort...I was hoping you guys would have caught the posting I put on Graham's thread...Mr. Micah it seems, is passionate about Baja, alright, but only with his Toyota packed to the gills with creature comforts, read here:

Micah202's post from a trip about a year ago..

.by micah202 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:57 am
...mann,,busy times,,,,,got the insulation & panelling in,,,,general grabber's on,,,bed/box/bin built in,,,,stereo mounted,,,,3 way cooler going,,,rack's on..kayak & kiteboard mounted.....co-drivers lined up and ready................

For someone who purportedly "roughs it" looks like he really pads his wheels with comfort for the ride into Baja..sounds like this guy travels in style...follow his trip comments on ToyotaVanPeople, really roughing it, aren't you Micah??

http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t...

Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest
We gave natgeo a batch of photos and those are the ones they chose. Sadly, we've seen a lot of trash on our trip. there just simply doesnt exist the same cultural value of tidyness. We try to minimize our impact by burning or packing out trash. But bringing your trash to a can in el Rosario doesn't mean it'll be dealt with the American way- outta sight outta mind, new housing community built on top.

Also, sorry to report we haven't caught a single fish, though I only tried once. We ate the bait instead;)

We're about to begin a major chapter of the trip: la peninsula vizcaino. Cave art and whales, salt flats and ranches.
Thank you David k for posting our progress!

[Edited on 3-20-2013 by EnsenadaDr]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 05:05 AM

By the way, I was curious as to what a 3 cooler system was, not much to my surprise was a cooler for an XBox 360!!!
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23    25  ..  42

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.