Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23    25
Author: Subject: Megadrought Predictions
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 02:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
WHOA! Boy where did this drift come from after my commentary on evolutionary process of the planet Earth?

It's my contention that man is just another evolutionary process being "controlled" by the Earth's long history and it's uncontrollable processes.
Mankind MAY have some influence on the earth's processes but in the end the earth will win and do what ever it wants to do and that will be a long long time after any of our relatives are gone.

Mother Nature ALWAYS Bats Last!

It's good to try and be clean and green, but unless the other 7 billion people do, to pressure, shame, blame, guilt the 320 million (1/3 of 1 billion) Americans is quite hypocritical or at least unfair and unrealistic.

In the end, no matter how clean and green we become, the climate is STILL going to change when ever it wants to.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 03:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  
Have to agree with age comes wisdom ... in most cases :):)

[Edited on 4-12-2015 by wessongroup]

Age brings experience, not necessarily wisdom.

Glad you cranked in most cases Wiley.

What we do with that experience is the critical factor, at any age.

And if wisdom comes from it we can only hope that wisdom is used properly.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 05:26 PM

Certainly would not disagree with that Cisco

Prudent judgement based on "experience" and "wisdom" is a better bet than most others ... IMHO

And of course weather changes ... and that is the concern at this time ... the CHANGE being observed through scientific measurements

Which would fall under the category of "information" based on data aquired through scientific investigation ... Not from personal opinion ... which makes this discussion difficult

Perception vs Reality is always a tough one ... there are examples :biggrin::biggrin:

How about MTBE ... :biggrin::biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTBE_controversy

And btw ... their "numbers" on clean up, are way off ...

think San Gabriel and San Fernando Super Fund Sites ... they are still pumping :):)

Say, could one call that "man's" impact on the environment .. in a negative manner ...

Check what they find in YOUR water through sampling ... that information is readily available for the entire United States ... you might be surprised ... or maybe not ... :):)

[Edited on 4-13-2015 by wessongroup]
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 06:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  
WHOA! Boy where did this drift come from after my commentary on evolutionary process of the planet Earth?

It's my contention that man is just another evolutionary process being "controlled" by the Earth's long history and it's uncontrollable processes.
Mankind MAY have some influence on the earth's processes but in the end the earth will win and do what ever it wants to do and that will be a long long time after any of our relatives are gone.

No matter how clean and green we become, the climate is STILL going to change when ever it wants to.

Yep David, Solid observation. :?:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 06:26 PM

Quote of the day

Quote: Originally posted by David K  

Mother Nature ALWAYS Bats Last!

It's good to try and be clean and green, but unless the other 7 billion people do, to pressure, shame, blame, guilt the 320 million (1/3 of 1 billion) Americans is quite hypocritical or at least unfair and unrealistic.

In the end, no matter how clean and green we become, the climate is STILL going to change when ever it wants to.

here is another

“With age comes wisdom, but sometimes age comes alone.” Oscar Wiide
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 06:41 PM

Maybe someone will come along and hijack this thread...Ya think?
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 06:54 PM

http://www.alternet.org/environment/how-defeat-science-denie...
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 06:56 PM

O well, probably not.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 07:40 PM

There is an aspect which hasn't been covered yet ...

The effects of Global Warming on the "poles"

Think the Arctic has been the receiver of:

The Thing, The Blob and Spaceships from Krypton ...

This is getting really serious .... :):)

Sure wish we had 2012, as it related to the Maya prediction of the end of the world, to chew on .... again :biggrin::biggrin:

still like the first one best .... (The Thing) ... Matt Dillion getting electrocuted ...

Certainly proved effective in working his way up in the industry

bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 08:11 PM

I was in Chechin Itzen (sp) in 2012 and the fellow told me that if I bought a tee shirt from him, I would be saved from the coming end of the world. Thank goodness I listened. I'm still here and occasionally wear that crumby tee shirt.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 08:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajacamper  
Maybe someone will come along and hijack this thread...Ya think?

Do you yourself have anything to contribute?

Oh, I see. 7 posts so far.
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 08:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
The productive period is about 20 years for humans. After that our value goes down.

I guess it is how your paradigm of value is defined.

I disagree.

Maybe when life spans were much shorter but now it is hard to refute decades of experience having less value than a few short years.

But, that is just my opinion and my response has nothing to do with global warming.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2015 at 09:13 PM

"Value" typically is subjective ... excluding the Physical and Natural Science's

I for one, wouldn't mind seeing someone like Albert, or say Will Rogers, et al .. stick around a while longer

For sure Will Rogers ... or Mark Twain :biggrin::biggrin:

And since one can't develop a means to accurately measure "value" to the planet ... of an "individual" .. all bets are off

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 09:03 AM

There are several thesis now included in this thread that don't deal with human caused climate change. All done very well for the most part.

The simplest fact remains that the HUMAN population load on the planet as it currently exists combined with the means and methods that the population uses to manipulate it's individual environments (vehicles, heating/cooling, agricultural water use) is causing an unprecedented impact globally. The impact can be measured, quantified and qualified. Individually, we have the choice to contribute to a solution or to ignore and deny the reality. Nobody argues that natural circumstances occur that also have a huge impact on that environment, volcanoes and other geologic events can cause similar changes to occur. However, the history of the planet has never included over 7 billion humans as the additional burden.

I choose to act responsibly when approaching the issue, DK and many others don't. They find their own rationalizations to continue in their ignorance. Two brothers who are part of the richest 10 humans, the Koch brothers, actively campaign against science and they have a huge influence because of their money. I don't support them or their Tea Party agenda as another personal choice.

Finally, I do think that if enough of us join together to recognize the problems we face collectively, we can have a positive impact on the issue: Human caused climate change.

Or, we can be those bacteria that overwhelm the resources of their limited agar plate and crash their population by not implementing longer term solutions. Sustainability is really the solution that we need to work towards as well as not allowing ignorance to rule our policies and actions.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 09:08 AM

I harken back to the Baja Amigo days where you got information and help if needed regarding all things Baja. Do not try that "Shut up newbie" crap on me. My only point regarding this thread is, enough already. Please.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 02:23 PM

A shut up for a shut up. What did you expect.
bajacamper
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 02:36 PM

I surrender..........for the time being.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 02:42 PM

Ken,
My position very well-said. :light:

Our human contribution to the planet cannot be ignored or not considered as relevant...

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  
There are several thesis now included in this thread that don't deal with human caused climate change. All done very well for the most part.

The simplest fact remains that the HUMAN population load on the planet as it currently exists combined with the means and methods that the population uses to manipulate it's individual environments (vehicles, heating/cooling, agricultural water use) is causing an unprecedented impact globally. The impact can be measured, quantified and qualified. Individually, we have the choice to contribute to a solution or to ignore and deny the reality. Nobody argues that natural circumstances occur that also have a huge impact on that environment, volcanoes and other geologic events can cause similar changes to occur. However, the history of the planet has never included over 7 billion humans as the additional burden.

I choose to act responsibly when approaching the issue, DK and many others don't. They find their own rationalizations to continue in their ignorance. Two brothers who are part of the richest 10 humans, the Koch brothers, actively campaign against science and they have a huge influence because of their money. I don't support them or their Tea Party agenda as another personal choice.

Finally, I do think that if enough of us join together to recognize the problems we face collectively, we can have a positive impact on the issue: Human caused climate change.

Or, we can be those bacteria that overwhelm the resources of their limited agar plate and crash their population by not implementing longer term solutions. Sustainability is really the solution that we need to work towards as well as not allowing ignorance to rule our policies and actions.

Don't believe everything you think....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sweetwater  

Pretty much what I said as well. Primitive animals crash and start over in the same way, only to eventually crash again. We don't crash because when we start over we do it differently than what failed. One generation learns from it's previous one. Just a theory.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2015 at 03:53 PM

Great synopsis Sweetwater ... Dittos :biggrin::biggrin:

and it would appear "The Blob" ... is showing up, just not in the Arctic as expected :biggrin::biggrin:

"Weird US weather: Blame the big warm blob in the Pacific"

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2015/0411/Weird-US-weather-...

Pages:  1  ..  21    23    25

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.