Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  22    24    26  ..  42
Author: Subject: What Is West Baja walk
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 05:26 AM

Dr,

It's a 3 way powered fridge.

12v, 120v, or propane. Very common in RV's.

Ken

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 05:46 AM

sounds like this guy is hooked up...refrigeration, stereo, wheels, plenty of food..
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:
Originally posted by whatiswest

Micah- what exactly is your connection to Baja? Now that we're "bonafied", we perhaps deserve some explanation or apology for your crudeness.

......... good to see you've made it through that rougher section,,REALLY!!......it'd be good to get some more details such as wether you got some good surfing?....how it was for you in the more isolated area,,,REALLY!!!

......you must realize that when you fundraise you become something of a public entity,,,,and set yourself up for some criticism or even ridicule,,,,,, so rather than apologise,I say -you're welcome-for helping keep things real!
......you said you were going to refrain from vehicular transit,,,and the first miles of your adventure were in a car,,,while your blog said otherwise--it was good to see you corrected that on your blog when I pointed out the contradiction!,,,good to keep it real.
........the whole speel for the trek seemed to highlight the remote adventure aspects of the trip,,,and surely that's what you were expecting judging by the survival gear you've been carrying,,,,,but this was contrasted with the first section being down the highway,,casita to casita....
.....methinks it's unfortunate that communications have been the way they have been,,,where of course we get much more details of the populated stretch than the MUCH more interesting remote section.....it'd be great to hear more details of that isolated stretch,,somewhere I KNOW at my age I'll not get there!.....I'm sure there was adventure and adversity,,,you had to make it through some harder times on your own cajones(??),,,,make some water(??),,,or not.
.........I REALLY appreciate it when you acknowledge the differences between your expectations and the realities of the trip,,and fully acknowledge those that help,,and how much you rely on them at times

......you said it yourself in a video,,the criticism makes you more determined!!! !

[Edited on 3-20-2013 by micah202]

The guys are self promoters, pt Barnum travelers, looking for benefactors to pay for their jaunt, and speaking in hash tags. They are fair game. If they want peace and quiet they should stay off twitter, Instagram, Facebook, nomad, and the half dozen other media they blog on

P.s. I think their trip is great. I think criticism is great.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Too bad the second photo in that NatGeo link is a town trash dump, somewhere

Yeah....what's up with that? What are they trying to say? It's not like all communities down here have a fat tax base to deal with everything.
I know the "Green" ideal is somewhat new here, but initiatives take money and reeducation as well as time.
It ain't Orange County.

the landfill photo is one reality, seems to fit w/in their mission statement.

according to the natgeo web mention, the walkers stated: "we are on a mission to explore and document Mexico’s Baja peninsula in the name of conservation... we have targeted five areas of interest and will address overarching ecological issues relevant to the region. Over the course of our 1000+ mile journey we will reveal through our lens why Baja has been deemed important to conserve and if there’s anything further to be done."

always nice to have a new photo record of natural places pristine, threatened, and already damaged. but comprehensive presentation to "address overarching ecological issues relevant to the region" may take a lot of research separate from walking and photographing,...

i am wondering what are the specific "five areas of interest" mentioned in the mission statement?
anybody know?

Still waiting to hear what are the five areas of interest?
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 06:08 AM

Criticism is great, Goat, but you must also consider the source. Coming from a guy like Micah who bragged about his hiking skills and wilderness aptitude, and then finding out he travels in the luxury liner on wheels of Baja...well that doesn't set too well with me. The five interests? Hydrology, Hydrology, Hydrology, Hydrology...and excess trash...you know potable water is a big problem in Baja!!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Micah- what exactly is your connection to Baja? Now that we're "bonafied", we perhaps deserve some explanation or apology for your crudeness.

......... good to see you've made it through that rougher section,,REALLY!!......it'd be good to get some more details such as wether you got some good surfing?....how it was for you in the more isolated area,,,REALLY!!!

......you must realize that when you fundraise you become something of a public entity,,,,and set yourself up for some criticism or even ridicule,,,,,, so rather than apologise,I say -you're welcome-for helping keep things real!
......you said you were going to refrain from vehicular transit,,,and the first miles of your adventure were in a car,,,while your blog said otherwise--it was good to see you corrected that on your blog when I pointed out the contradiction!,,,good to keep it real.
........the whole speel for the trek seemed to highlight the remote adventure aspects of the trip,,,and surely that's what you were expecting judging by the survival gear you've been carrying,,,,,but this was contrasted with the first section being down the highway,,casita to casita....
.....methinks it's unfortunate that communications have been the way they have been,,,where of course we get much more details of the populated stretch than the MUCH more interesting remote section.....it'd be great to hear more details of that isolated stretch,,somewhere I KNOW at my age I'll not get there!.....I'm sure there was adventure and adversity,,,you had to make it through some harder times on your own cajones(??),,,,make some water(??),,,or not.
.........I REALLY appreciate it when you acknowledge the differences between your expectations and the realities of the trip,,and fully acknowledge those that help,,and how much you rely on them at times

......you said it yourself in a video,,the criticism makes you more determined!!! !

The guys are self promoters, pt Barnum travelers, looking for benefactors to pay for their jaunt, and speaking in hash tags. They are fair game. If they want peace and quiet they should stay off twitter, Instagram, Facebook, nomad, and the half dozen other media they blog on

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Criticism is great, Goat, but you must also consider the source. Coming from a guy like Micah who bragged about his hiking skills and wilderness aptitude, and then finding out he travels in the luxury liner on wheels of Baja...well that doesn't set too well with me. The five interests? Hydrology, Hydrology, Hydrology, Hydrology...and excess trash...you know potable water is a big problem in Baja!!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Micah is a guy who planned a long trip in baja and his van was stolen in first day in tj. I don't know if he ever went back to Baja. I think he is Canuck, perhaps explains all,... :lol:

P.s. water is not a prob in Baja. People made their own problem when they decided to live in desert. People just chose a challenge.

[Edited on 3-20-2013 by mtgoat666]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 11:06 AM

Quote:

....EXACTLY!!!!
....."Doctor',,,you can be a fanboy all you want,,,
,,,but to try and thread-police with your thin wit is best described as ludicrous,,,,,,do you really expect that everyone should act -your- way???:lol::lol:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 11:14 AM

You know what Micah, I think Dale Carnegie is looking for a man like you.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 11:56 AM

...'doctor' ,,I have trouble figuring out what your problem really is!?
.....my comments on this thread have been a healthy balance of criticism and encouragement,,,,,I do REALLY want to hear more details of their trip through the remote areas I will never get to.
....I think it is great when they respond to feedback-it makes their program stronger.

...personally,,I'm in my fifties now,,,am active with small sailboats,,,hence the 'luxury' '86 toyota van:tumble:
.....what I do ,or -have- done is not relevant to this or any thread,,as I have never solicited public funds for my junkets!!!
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 12:41 PM

Please have respect for this thread. You have made your position known. Let's get back to hearing about the boys' journey.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 12:52 PM

Quote:
I think he is Canuck, perhaps explains all,... :lol:....

Goat,
I know you were jokin'.....but you don't want to play that card....do ya? ;D:biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 02:18 PM

"They are fair game. If they want peace and quiet they should stay off twitter, Instagram, Facebook, nomad, and the half dozen other media they blog on" (micah202)

Really? Are you from the stone(d) age?

"...personally,,I'm in my fifties now,,,am active with small sailboats,,,hence the 'luxury' '86 toyota van" (micah202)

Woops, should have read that last part first!

"methinks it's unfortunate that communications have been the way they have been,,,where of course we get much more details of the populated stretch than the MUCH more interesting remote section.....it'd be great to hear more details of that isolated stretch,,somewhere I KNOW at my age I'll not get there!....." (micah202)

Oh yea, this shouldn't be like in the old days when those movie previews left you wanting to see the final production. These guys should be stupid and tell us every little detail with full color pix so they can screw the people they have made arraingments with.

"Micah- what exactly is your connection to Baja? Now that we're "bonafied", we perhaps deserve some explanation or apology for your crudeness." (whatiswest)

Don't bother boys, you aren't going to get one. You see things differantly than some and some are just bothered that your seeing things.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Please have respect for this thread. You have made your position known. Let's get back to hearing about the boys' journey.

...that's about the first thing you've said that makes -any- sense!!:yawn:

[Edited on 3-21-2013 by micah202]
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 3-20-2013 at 08:51 PM

Check out the very cool pic on Facebook What is West of the coyote that was tugging at Justin's sleeping bag with his bare teeth, just wanting to play.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 3-21-2013 at 01:03 PM

The guys are on the move...no recent pings from their Spot tracker though. They are about 25 miles from Guerrero Negro:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 08:08 AM

They are beyond Guerrero Negro, halfway to the El Arco junction: http://www.whatiswest.com/where-are-we/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 08:21 AM

David,

When I go to their site the tracker map comes up with no map detail just their track. Do you have a fix for that? I can use Google maps and have no other downloading problems.

:?::?::?::?::?::?::?:

Ken

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 08:51 AM

I get the same thing as Geoff posted above, and you can change the map to a satellite image, as well. There was no track lately, just a spot... and they seem to have hitch hiked, unless Geoff was showing an older map, yesterday... Around 50 miles in one day is more than anyone with back packs can walk in one day, right?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 08:54 AM

How do i get a map with their location and details?

K

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 09:43 AM

50 miles with a pack is doable. Most long hikers are in that kind of shape within 2 or 3 weeks. They would have to walked for about 12 to 15 hours. With that flat area around them it's possible but not likely.
I know guys that were walking 30 - 35 miles per day while doing the PCT.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Pages:  1  ..  22    24    26  ..  42

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.